Freezing Particle Results for Export

ShannonHoppeShannonHoppe Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello all and thanks in advance. How does one go about freezing objects from a particle emitter so they can be imported to another application? I've got an emitter that's using a small custom ball-like object as the individual particles. When I try to convert the emitter the result is always the default squares/planes rather than the geometry that was supposed to be there as replacement particles. Is there a way to convert the particle result as the replacement geometry or does converting always result in the default planes?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Hello all and thanks in advance. How does one go about freezing objects from a particle emitter so they can be imported to another application? I've got an emitter that's using a small custom ball-like object as the individual particles. When I try to convert the emitter the result is always the default squares/planes rather than the geometry that was supposed to be there as replacement particles. Is there a way to convert the particle result as the replacement geometry or does converting always result in the default planes?

What are you using for the particles?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited December 1969

metaballs will not work as in fluids
    it is a render feature

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

That's why asked. There's a couple other possible issues as well, depending on what the particle is.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

Particles don't actually exist as real objects,. even if you're using an "Object" as the particle type,. it's simply a representation of the object's geometry, used as the particle.. the emitter doesn't create instances of the original object. and so, it can't export particles as OBJ geometry.

Q: What are you trying to do ?

• ShannonHoppeShannonHoppe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The "custom ball like object" is a simple obj sphere, all quads, not metaballs.

ballObject.jpg
    800 x 631 - 88K
  • ShannonHoppeShannonHoppe Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

3DAGE said:
    HI :)

Particles don't actually exist as real objects,. even if you're using an "Object" as the particle type,. it's simply a representation of the object's geometry, used as the particle.. the emitter doesn't create instances of the original object. and so, it can't export particles as OBJ geometry.

Q: What are you trying to do ?

Thanks 3DAGE! That answers my question. What I was trying to do was export the result as on OBJ. But since that's not feasible I'll go down another path ;) No worries. Thanks again.

Post edited by ShannonHoppe on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Depending on what you#'re trying to get,.. you could set the object's motion to Physics,. then add it to a replicator,. adjust the layout and quantity of objects, and also the size and rotation variables,. then use the "Create" button in the replicator to create real instances of the objects,..

Once you've got that,. Delete the original replicator,. so you#re only left with the replicated instances,. then drop them onto a plane to get a more randomised scatter.

you should be able to select the "group" of objects, and then export those out as an obj. (bear in mind that the OBJ will be a single model) rather than a group of individually movable objects.

:)