Torso UVs for G3F Anatomical Elements: Genesis 8 compatible

The freebie I posted over at Rendo last year is compatible with Genesis 8 Female:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/torso-uvs-for-g3f-anatomical-elements/76084

It is a UV Set for the Genesis 3 Female Anatomical Elements which will enable you to use the geograft with G3F characters which do not include a separate AE texture. It derives the texture from the torso texture as previous generations of Genesis have done.

Because the UVs are identical, this can also be used on Genesis 8 Female.  All you have to do is rename the "Genesis 3" folder as "Genesis 8" and install it as instructed in the ReadMe.

Please, no pictures!

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

I forgot about these as I never bought pro bundles beyond the original Genesis, but now that I have all of the Victoria bundles thanks to the recent V8 offer, I grabbed it.

Tested with both G8F and G3F textures and it works perfectly. Thanks. :D

• Interesting (grabbed it and installed it to both places).  Is there a guide tutorial thingy somewhere of how to make new skins with this?

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131

Interesting (grabbed it and installed it to both places).  Is there a guide tutorial thingy somewhere of how to make new skins with this?

This is really for use with existing torso textures.  Any new skins would be either complete character textures, or designed to blend with existing ones.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

This only allows use of textures from another figure. Textures are created the same as any other, either something like photoshop, or a 3D painting app like Substance/3D Coat/Mari.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

There are some addons available at some rather explicit store which allow for some color adjustments via LIE though.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933

Thank you very much. I wondered how to do this.

• This product can also be used with Genesis 8.1 Female, which has been released today.  Because there is no "Torso" surface on Genesis 8.1 you must copy the MAT from the "Body" surface instead.

• Cayman Studios said:

This product can also be used with Genesis 8.1 Female, which has been released today.  Because there is no "Torso" surface on Genesis 8.1 you must copy the MAT from the "Body" surface instead.

Whoever decided on that rename was a true genius... it broke so damned much.

• Is there any way to use this with Genesis 8.1 Female Genitalia for Male?

• itinerant said:

Is there any way to use this with Genesis 8.1 Female Genitalia for Male?

Yes, it appears so.  If you copy the folder into "data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Genesis 8 Female Genitalia for G8M\UV Sets\Cayman\Torso UVs" it should appear in the UV Set drop-down when you next load Genesis 8.1 Male. 

• RR67RR67 Posts: 37
    edited May 2022

Sorry, very much a newbie with all this. I need more instructions. I copied the data folder into Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\  (I added both G3 and G8 as I figured I would need both).

1) I have applied the Gens, but this step has me stumped: "Apply the same Shader as the Torso Surface for G3F onto the Gen...
    How do I know which shader the torso uses? This is a G8 figure.

2) Also the next step has me stuck as well: "Copy the Torso surface for G3F by right-clicking it in the Surfaces tab and then paste it onto the Gen surface."
    If I have the character selected and go to the Surfaces tab in the bottom right, I don't see my characters base material listed. I tried another character and that has it listed, but there is no copy function (picture). I can copy if I find the material under Content Library, but I am not able to get a Paste function when selecting the gens surface. What am I missing?

Post edited by RR67 on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065

This can occasionally be a little tricky. Normally it isn't..

First try this sequence of actions:

1. In the scene tab, click on the character's hip, or any other bone. (Not really necessary, but reduces the number of materials you need to scroll through in the 'Surfaces' Tab.)
    2. In the surfaces tab (where all the material textures etc are defined) find the 'Skin, Torso' material in the material tree.
    3. Right click on the 'Skin Torso' entry. A pop-up menu will appear.
    4. Click on the first entry, 'Copy selected material'
    5. In the scene tree, click on the gens georaft.
    6. In the material tree, select the gens material.
    7. Right click to get the pop-up menu.
    8. Select the second menu item (which is no-longer greyed out) 'Paste to selected material'.
    9. Finally, find the UV to use, and change it in the drop-down list from 'default' to 'Torso UVs'
    10. This should now work.

If the skin uses a DAZ Uber based shader, the method above should work properly. If the shader is a bit different, then it probably won't work and you'll need a different method, outlined below:

1. Select a character bone in the Scene tab.
    2. Select 'Skin Torso' in the Surfaces tab.
    3. Under menu option 'File| Save As| Shader Preset' save a temporary shader preset in a temporary directory in your DS content tree. Save everything when you get a little options window.
    4. Select the gens georaft in the Scene tab.
    5. Select the gens material in the Surfaces tab.
    6. Apply your new temporary shader to the gens surface in the normal way from the content library.
    7. In the surface, now change the UV from 'default' to 'Torso UVs'.
    8. It should now work, and the temporary shader can be deleted.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard.

RR67, under the Surfaces tab you must be in Editor mode to view the surfaces - click on the "Editor" button at the top of the pane.  This has always been default for me so it didn't occur to me to specify it.  Now if you click on the "Torso" surface (for G3F and G8F) or "Body" surface (for G8.1F) you will see indicated at the top of the tab window what Shader is being used.  For G3F it used to be, most often, the AoA_Subsurface Shader, but more recently it has been Iray Uber.

This should help clear up both queries you bring up.  Richard's post above also gives some useful additional tips.

Thank you both for the information, I will give it a try tonight and let you know if I have any more questions.

All the figures and gens seem to be using the same Iray Uber (MDL) shader. I've tried Amara, Anae, Ayako, Carmelita, and those seem okay. However, this characters colors don't match:

https://www.daz3d.com/dani-for-teen-raven-8

Some of the other characters I am having troubles with are 8.1, but I don't have a 8.1 Pro bundle. So I suspect that's the issue for those. Any thoughts why this particular one might not be applying properly?

RR67 said:

All the figures and gens seem to be using the same Iray Uber (MDL) shader. I've tried Amara, Anae, Ayako, Carmelita, and those seem okay. However, this characters colors don't match:

https://www.daz3d.com/dani-for-teen-raven-8

Some of the other characters I am having troubles with are 8.1, but I don't have a 8.1 Pro bundle. So I suspect that's the issue for those. Any thoughts why this particular one might not be applying properly?

The Anatomical Elements for Genesis 8 should also work on Genesis 8.1, so you don't need to get a new Pro bundle.

Yes, it seems that if you load Dani then fit the genitalia the materials will not match.  Exactly what technically is going on here I cannot say.  But if you load the Dani materials to Genesis 8 Female then it will work.  I can only guess that this is a recent piece of jiggery-pokery because this problem does not occur with Teen Raven 8.  But the above work around is simple enough.

Good enough, appreciate the support!
  • stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 130

Cayman Studios said:

Yes, it seems that if you load Dani then fit the genitalia the materials will not match.  Exactly what technically is going on here I cannot say.  But if you load the Dani materials to Genesis 8 Female then it will work.

In most cases those materials mismatches are caused by two things:

1. The content creator has unlocked parameter limits for using values outside of the predefined range. If you simply copy/paste those surfaces, the parameters on the target surface are still locked and values will be clipped to that range. This can be solved by saving the source surface as shader preset, then applying the shader preset to the target surface, it will unlock those affected properties on the target surface. After that, you can copy/paste the surface as usual.

2. The content creator may have altered also hidden surface properties but kept them "hidden". Copy/paste surfaces will only copy properies that are currently visible in Surfaces pane. With "Show Hidden Properties" in Surfaces pane preferences activated, also those hidden properties will be copied because they are now visible in the pane.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065

This should be cured by saving a temporary shader. If that doesn't work... I wonder why not.

I found a temporary shader was the only way I could get MostDigitalCreations character SkinRay2 shaders to work on the G8F Gens georaft.

Regards,

Richard

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 130

richardandtracy said:

This should be cured by saving a temporary shader. If that doesn't work... I wonder why not.

I found a temporary shader was the only way I could get MostDigitalCreations character SkinRay2 shaders to work on the G8F Gens georaft.

Regards,

Richard

Of course you're right: Both issues will be cured with a temporary shader preset, as it saves parameters and its limits as well as all the values for the parameters (including textures). So it's best to use a temporary shader preset and forget this Copy/Paste Surfaces. wink

• simayu5211314simayu5211314 Posts: 0
    edited November 2023

我 是新手能否麻烦教一下,应该复制在哪个文件夹呢?谢谢!!!!

(Translation I was able to find:
    I'm a novice, can you please tell me which folder I should copy in? Thank you!!!!)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on