Beta - G8F Carrara preset

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Nope. As many "Add Layer" (looks like a + sign) as you need/want. 

"Add" function looks at the new image data and Adds anything brighter than black to the previous result ;)

add, with the line where it says color selected?

feelin a lil lost  smiley

thanks smiley 

seeing an overlay option in there

its seeing the png transparency as black

layerlist1.jpg
    699 x 540 - 84K
    layerslist.PNG
    668 x 493 - 105K
    overlay1.jpg
    651 x 564 - 86K
    overlay2.PNG
    701 x 429 - 85K
    Mistara said:

the new g8 stuff, they using their ds layering for make-up.

make up for V8, Olympia 8 are png overlays.

i like the idea of png versatility,

for us, it's either bake the pngs on to texture
    or,
    layer in carrara shader?
    multiply mebbe?

Right. We can easily use Carrara's Multi-Layer function, as I intend to do for a future supplement. Here's an easy path:

If the added layer is already a png with alpha, a Normal layer function will be fine. If we don't want to, or know how to make a png with Alpha, we can simply paint our new layer elements onto a white (pure white) background and use the "Multiply" layer function. If we need to layer white onto the skin, use a black (pure black) background and use the "Add" layer function.

"Normal layer function"

the key clue.  smiley

been watching layering tutts all mirning, but they all using opacity mps, not png trans layer

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited July 2017
    Mistara said:

"Add" function looks at the new image data and Adds anything brighter than black to the previous result ;)

Probably my awkward way of explaining. Sorry. Here... this is what I mean:

First of all, I'm not talking about Layer Lists at all, although what I am talking about may be used in Layer Lists as well - if that makes any sense. In other words, I'm just using the Multi-Layer function, available in regular shader channels, like Color, Highlight, etc.,

So lets look at one of your screen shots with a slight enhancement. I've circled the Multi-Layer function for convenience

Now, if we add Multi-Layer to a channel that already has something in it, like a Texture Map, for example, it will automatically be added to the Multi-Layer function, but not as a Multi-Layer Element, meaning that it (the existing Texure Map) won't have the actual Multi-layer Element controls, like layer opacity and such.

So what I always do is to click the (+) Add Multi-layer Element button, and drag the Texture Map (or whatever was originally in the channel) into the Shader portion of the new Multi-layer Element.

That might sound dizzying. Have a look at this image, and look just above the horizontal arrow pointing to the left, where we have a blank (empty) Multi-layer Element. Notice that the next line down is called Shader. That's where I drag the Texture Map down to in the above paragraph.

Also in the above image, we can see that, what was in my Color channel was NOT a Texture Map. It's a procedural mixer function. For this one, I actually dragged the Color channel into the empty Alpha channel to store it while I changed the Color channel to Multi-Layer, then added (+) a Multi-layer Element and dragged it back from the Alpha channel into the Shader portion of the Multi-layer Element.

We can also see that the Multi-layer Element has a new feature for blending that we haven't seen yet in a Carrara shader: "Normal" as a blending mode. This just uses the actual pixels of the element, and used the opacity slider as the blending method.

MultiLayerShaderFunction.jpg
    651 x 564 - 255K
    MultiLayerShaderPanel.jpg
    845 x 526 - 241K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

okay i now have 2 multi layer element branches

operators normal

put the make up png in 1 "normal"

put face skin jpg in other "normal"

and ...  sigh, rendering ink dark

clicked white is invisible, there something weird about olympia makeup png, tried to opet in pse, says unsupported color depth

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I thought it might be the png when you first mentioned it

some have premultiplied alpha that needs ticking

some Carrara will not see the alpha at all

I "fix" those in Gimp

I cant open the png, PSE offers to convert it to somthing ugly.  

Olympia 8 :

makeup1.png
    1240 x 930 - 1M
    makeup.PNG
    1109 x 516 - 228K
    makeupless.png
    1240 x 930 - 1M
    th3Digit said:

I thought it might be the png when you first mentioned it

some have premultiplied alpha that needs ticking

some Carrara will not see the alpha at all

I "fix" those in Gimp

you'd think theyd try to save em in the most compatible png options

Mistara said:

Probably my awkward way of explaining. Sorry. Here... this is what I mean:

First of all, I'm not talking about Layer Lists at all, although what I am talking about may be used in Layer Lists as well - if that makes any sense. In other words, I'm just using the Multi-Layer function, available in regular shader channels, like Color, Highlight, etc.,

So lets look at one of your screen shots with a slight enhancement. I've circled the Multi-Layer function for convenience

Now, if we add Multi-Layer to a channel that already has something in it, like a Texture Map, for example, it will automatically be added to the Multi-Layer function, but not as a Multi-Layer Element, meaning that it (the existing Texure Map) won't have the actual Multi-layer Element controls, like layer opacity and such.

So what I always do is to click the (+) Add Multi-layer Element button, and drag the Texture Map (or whatever was originally in the channel) into the Shader portion of the new Multi-layer Element.

That might sound dizzying. Have a look at this image, and look just above the horizontal arrow pointing to the left, where we have a blank (empty) Multi-layer Element. Notice that the next line down is called Shader. That's where I drag the Texture Map down to in the above paragraph.

Also in the above image, we can see that, what was in my Color channel was NOT a Texture Map. It's a procedural mixer function. For this one, I actually dragged the Color channel into the empty Alpha channel to store it while I changed the Color channel to Multi-Layer, then added (+) a Multi-layer Element and dragged it back from the Alpha channel into the Shader portion of the Multi-layer Element.

We can also see that the Multi-layer Element has a new feature for blending that we haven't seen yet in a Carrara shader: "Normal" as a blending mode. This just uses the actual pixels of the element, and used the opacity slider as the blending method.

TYsmiley  screenshots were helpful!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Skin should be the base layer with MU layer over that.  I had no issue opening the PNG with alpha from Olympia in my old version Photoshop CS2, as far as I can see it is just a standard PNG with transparency. It shows as mostly transparent with colour for the eye shadow/eye liner, blusher and lipstick.

PhilW said:

Skin should be the base layer with MU layer over that.  I had no issue opening the PNG with alpha from Olympia in my old version Photoshop CS2, as far as I can see it is just a standard PNG with transparency. It shows as mostly transparent with colour for the eye shadow/eye liner, blusher and lipstick.

Your layered Olympia look better than this?  lol

so we can make like 2nd skin clothes, like corsets and bikinis, and have separate shader attributes on the layer, like shinier silky looking stockings ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    Mistara said:

so we can make like 2nd skin clothes, like corsets and bikinis, and have separate shader attributes on the layer, like shinier silky looking stockings ?

yes I have done it

edited August 2017

Argh! Spent a bunch of time fixing auto-fit issues, only to find that, what seems to have 'conformed', doesn't! It's just a rigid chunk of cardboard, both the hair and the clothing.

I did notice, when fitting my Rosie hair to her, that selecting "Genesis" instead of "Unsupported" made for a better fitting result, but still needed tweaking. But if it doesn't follow the skeleton.... :(

Anyway, here was my thing I did with very limited time. I will be tweaking this all when I find some time, but I wanted to show you how we can use maps to control color gradients - in this case to darken the skin (My Rosie just isn't that pale)

So here is a screen shot of one of the skin shaders. I created a color gradient based upon looking at the bump map, since I'm using that to control the gradient. To make things easier, think of it like this:

Black (from a map, for example) or a value of 0 (zero) determines the color on the far left of the gradient bar while White (from a map, for example) or a value of 100 determines the color on the far right of the gradient.

With that in mind, have a look at this shader. First I make the color gradient. It's supposed to be a bit more subtle than what I've done here, but you'll see the result.

Then I Ctrl + Drag the Bump Texture Map to the Shader slot under the gradient, which controls the placement of the hues along the gradient scale. So 50% gray would place the color in the dead center of the gradient, for example.

Since this map never goes all the way to black or white, I use that to my advantage in helping me create the alteration of the main color map I'm trying to tweak.

Keep in mind that we can easily alter these maps in an image editor (and save as a unique file) for this use. For example, using "Expand Dynamic Range" to get an image that does go from pure black at its lowest to pure white at its brightest, which might help even more.

Anyway, here is the result of the above skin shader change - along with reducing the brightness of the map in the Highlight channel to 33

BumpControlledGradient.jpg
    737 x 332 - 144K
    RT8a.jpg
    471 x 718 - 204K
    edited August 2017

Forgot to mention that I still haven't worked on the eyes or lips beyond the freebie shader kit I posted above earlier (and lips got are using the Face shader, so they got the same tweak mentioned above.

I also forgot to mention that I do intend on making Genesis 8 Female versions of the clothing and hair. Maybe not the ones shown above, but I'll pick out something I like ;)

Argh... gotta go have fun playing my drums. L8r

is the clothes and hair made for g3f or g8f?  in that case will need conversion to blended inside DS.   select the hair, edit, rigging, convert general to blended, save hair as a subset.

wendy made a video tutt on it.

No, the hair is V4 and the clothing is for G2F. I tried converting to blended (for the G2F clothing) and DS said I didn't need to... already is blended.

After "Fit-To" the only skeleton parts I got for the hair was Hip and Pelvis.

edited August 2017

the hair is cr2?

mebbe the carrara skeleton transfer? 

or in DS, converting hair to duf via using the transfer utility from G3f to hair, and save hair as a product (menu, save as, prop/figure).  

not sure of a sure way to keep the movement morphs. 

saving the hair to .duf (prop/figure) should import all the morphs. will prolly come in under one lump morphs folder called import.

there's a couple of v4 hairs thinking would be nice to have for G3M.  more fun for the weekend smiley  1st have to remember the names of em.  lol  palene hair i think was one.

Post edited by Mistara on

yep, these, hmmm  mebbe save it for gen1 1st, then to g3m

So, I take it none of you have these issues then? Must be just something I'm doing. Like I said, I was very rushed for time when I did that.

So, I take it none of you have these issues then? Must be just something I'm doing. Like I said, I was very rushed for time when I did that.

i've never tried V4 hair on the genesis generations

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I've used Armazeda hair on G2 female.

• I use V4 hair on Genesis figures, but I don't autofit them. It deletes the morphs. I just parent them to the figures. 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

A little DS tip if you want to fit (for example) V4 hair or clothing to G3F (or a more recent figure). I can't remember which figures come with which clones as standard and which need to be bought, but you'll get the idea. Load both G3F and Genesis into a blank scene, load your V4 hair or clothing and autofit it to Genesis. Then - with no need to save - autofit it again to your target figure, but now use Genesis as the source figure (as you just fitted it to Genesis).  I have used this to re-use older clothing onto G3F and G8F recently. I have to confess that I have rendered these in DS rather than importing to Carrara though, so I'll now go and hang my head in shame...

shirley theres a way to bring those morfs in, without doing 1 at a time the old school way  ...

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    PhilW said:

I have to confess that I have rendered these in DS rather than importing to Carrara though, so I'll now go and hang my head in shame...

you shall be flogged and sent to the penal colony known as Australia with the Barmy Army..... devil

good tip by the way... yes

Yeah, it's a bummer that Carrara still doesn't know Genesis from Geneis 2 or 3 or 8 as far as auto-fit is concerned. I tried getting some clones for G2 to Genesis, I think it was, but the auto-fit dialog asking which figure the items where meant for never pops up unless it was a pre-Genesis item. So the auto-fit fails, even with the proper clone in place.

So I tried doing the auto-fit in DS and saving the resulting clothing and, alas... that wasn't working for me either.