glass and transparencies

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi!!! the render of glass, and transparencies, are often a problem... slow (wich is not the most important), and, mm, "not so good"...
have you any tips to increase the quality of rendering transparencies in C8 pro??? thank you!!!

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, an absolute MUST is a plugin that adds a falloff shader so edges of glass are visible/reflective while the face of glass is transparent. DigitalCarversGuild.com has a plugin called SHADER OPS that adds a falloff shader to the texture room. I recommend it. There isn't a single render that I make without using it....

Doc34.png
    450 x 600 - 157K
  • RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

I find the glass rendering in Carrara to be outstanding, far beyond Poser or Studio out of the box and up to the quality of the higher end apps. It's also very fast for what it does so I'd have to disagree with your experience of the speed. Remember raytracing will always be a slower process but Carrara is a good raytracer.
    Make sure that you are using the transparency channel and not the alpha channel. Use a bit (or a lot) of reflection and fresnel.
    Play with the absorption settings to get a feel for them, and as Holly says, try shader ops.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

And remember, Carrara uses "real" reflections, so you need something for the glass to reflect.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yes, an absolute MUST is a plugin that adds a falloff shader so edges of glass are visible/reflective while the face of glass is transparent. DigitalCarversGuild.com has a plugin called SHADER OPS that adds a falloff shader to the texture room. I recommend it. There isn't a single render that I make without using it....

Okay, I'm heading to your site to get the link to DCG. I've put this off far too long.
    Oh... and great render, by the way!
  • laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

thank you for your answers!
    I didn't intend to say that the transparencies wasn't good in Carrara, but how to optimize them... increase the number if rays, fir example, in the set up of the render?
    Hollywet circuit, I assume you're talking about "fake Fresnel"... it has just one cursor, to set up it... just a matter opf experiment, or there is some tips to use it?

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm heading to your site to get the link to DCG. I've put this off far too long.

Get ready to mainline some serious Carrara juice!

I'm definitely adding Shader Ops to my toolbox before this weekend -- Enhance:C is pretty darned useful. Holly has been giving the hard-sell on Fake Fresnel for too long; I can no longer ignore her influence.

edited December 1969

I usually put it in the glow channel to fake edge highlights - because I'm all fake that way... (see shader pic)
    here it is just simple VALUE shaders and the falloff is squeezed very thin (the shader room preview is exaggerating the light source and scale so the bottle in that pic looks nuclear, but this is the same settings as the bottle render above...)

Screen_Shot_2013-03-06_at_9.03_.48_AM_.png
    654 x 569 - 142K
    edited December 1969

The same idea is used in this pic to give a velvet-y look to the curtains, the hat, and the donkey's fur... But here the fall off is blended with various noise shaders so the edge highlight isn't slick and glossy, but "furry"...

donkeyprize03.jpg
    600 x 600 - 52K