Big problems finding an installed piece of content

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

I got some shoes for Genesis off ShareCG and it seems to have downloaded the .DSF file into this directory

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\Headkase\Sensible Shoes 2.0\G_SensibleShoes2.DSF

But I can't find it anywhere in my content library. I often get that actually. I have tried searching for "Shoes," looking under categories and everything I can think of.

Problem is in the DAZ content library you can't browse to actual folders, only containers... How do I get to this content?

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited March 2013

Have you looked under People/Genesis/Clothing/Headkase

That's where mine are.

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Have you looked under People/Genesis/Clothing/Headkase

That's where mine are.

Yep. Not there. Yet everything seems to be in the right directories

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    I

Problem is in the DAZ content library you can't browse to actual folders, only containers... How do I get to this content?

I would like to disagree as what you see in the Content Libray Pane (not Smart Content Pane) isa representation of your folders in your content folder on your hard drive. If you delete a folder from this Pane you will delete it from your content Library on your Hard Drive. I have made that mistake before with Uninstallers luckily I checked and found that infact they were deleted from my hard drive, a lesson leart for me. :)

Unless I totaly misunderstood you which is highly likely knowing me. :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The files in the Data folder are NOT supposed to be visible. There should be files outside of Data for loading the content. Have you looked at the zip file to see what gets installed?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Sorry I know that was beside the point of you finding your item. I don't have these shoes so I can't check. It is posible you placed then in the wrong place? I take it these are in Zip format when you downloaded them so can't you unzip or if on Vista/Win 7 you can just click and open the zipped folder without extracting and look where the maker put the relevent presets etc.

edited March 2013

Szark said:
    Sorry I know that was beside the point of you finding your item. I don't have these shoes so I can't check. It is posible you placed then in the wrong place? I take it these are in Zip format when you downloaded them so can't you unzip or if on Vista/Win 7 you can just click and open the zipped folder without extracting and look where the maker put the relevent presets etc.

I beg to differ. I cannot see the directory called Data (one level below "My Library") and it is in Data that the .DSF file lives! That's the file I need to load (as that is the DAZ file - I gather - which tells the program what the object is, where it's textures are etc)

If only the DAZ content library was as you say, then it would be so much easier to find these things and load them!

No, the .ZIP file contained four directories and they were all correctly one level below "My Library" so I unzipped to My Library so it would merge in the usual way. I checked and it has merged the relevant directories (Data, etc). So everything is in the right place.

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What are the three folders called?

Data, and what else, looking at the ZIP file should tell you where they can be found in the Content Library pane. They will be under DAZ Studio Formats somewhere.

edited March 2013

What are the three folders called?

Data, and what else, looking at the ZIP file should tell you where they can be found in the Content Library pane. They will be under DAZ Studio Formats somewhere.

Data
    People
    Readme
    Runtime

So all correct directories under My Library, AFAIK.

But my point is, i can't see the data directory in the content library. It doesn't appear. And since that's where the file I need to load is, I am stuffed, no?

Oddly enough, there is also a .DSF in the Runtime > People directory. But that's not visible either.

edited December 1969

You do not load files from the data folder.

The files you want are in People/Genesis/Clothing/Headkase

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

The files you want are in People/Genesis/Clothing/Headkase

Thanks, but I assure you they are not! In the content library there is no container under People>Genesis>clothing that is called Headkase

But I can't even find them in the text search box using "shoes" and that's in the damned filename!

edited March 2013

Then you have put the files in the wrong place.

There should NOT be a People folder in runtime either. That is where textures go.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited March 2013

wilmap said:
    Then you have put the files in the wrong place.

There should NOT be a People folder in runtime either. That is where textures go.

There ISN'T a People folder in Runtime. As I said in a post above, the People folder is under My Library (ie at the same level as runtime, not under it.)

Weirdly, I have just checked and although the .zip seems to have put everything in the right place, there is no directory called Headkase under Clothing !!

Why would it unzip everything else right, but not that?

edited March 2013

HANG ON!

fixed it.

Sorry. Completely my fault. I am an idiot.

I was using 7zip and when you open a zip file, by default only the top directory in the list is highlighted. But that means (alarmingly) that highlighted directory is the only one to be unzipped (unless you select them all!)

I shall need to bear this in mind in future!

(blimey! I wonder if that's why I have had such problems with so much of my content! _ this could be a turning point!!)

edited December 1969

Sertorial said:

Oddly enough, there is also a .DSF in the Runtime > People directory. But that's not visible either.

You said there was a .dsf file in Runtime.People directory.

I never unzip any files directly into My Library - I alwas unzip to a folder on my desktop and then transfer each folder to the correct place.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited March 2013

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Headkase

I can't find the sensible shoes for Genesis at all... are we sure we're talking about the same set of files?

NM: found them: http://www.sharecg.com/v/56438/gallery/11/Poser/Sensible-Shoes-2.0-GENESIS

Okay, I checked the ZIP file and the folder tree is as Wilmap said.

If you dragged the whole thing into your MY LIBRARY it will be under People/Genesis/Clothing/Headkase

Since you're not finding it, I would look in My Library for a folder named Studio4temp

That folder should not be there, as it is an overarching folder. if it is there, it will likely contain the follwoing folders:
    Data
    People
    Readme
    Runtime

Check the contents of those folders and you should find your files. If that is the case, drag those folders into DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Sertorial said:

You said there was a .dsf file in Runtime.People directory.

Sorry, you're quite right. I did. I'm a twerp. (see above for comprehensive evidence of twerpishness)

edited December 1969

The files in the Data folder are NOT supposed to be visible. There should be files outside of Data for loading the content. Have you looked at the zip file to see what gets installed?

But my point is, i can’t see the data directory in the content library. It doesn’t appear. And since that’s where the file I need to load is, I am stuffed, no?

Just for future reference. You should never do anything to the data folder, unless you are sure of what you are doing. It is not needed by users, just files in the Content Library.
    edited December 1969

and ALWAYS check the folder tree in the ZIP file before you drop it into the DS folder tree... this way you have some idea of how to find things.

edited December 1969

So , just as a final check. Presumably DAZ doesn't allow the text search box to search the "data" folder? Otherwise, I would have found the shoes with a text search

edited December 1969

I am not certain of that, but probably true.

There would be no point in displaying items from the data folder, as they are not user items at all, or User Facing Fles as they call them now , so you would not be able to do anything meaningful with them. The data folder holds items which are called from other DAZ Studio files (which you can see).

The data folder is vital to sved scenes, and to some items which you can buy in the store as well, but they are only part of the bigger picture, and were never meant to be used directly, only through the correct user files.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,413
    edited December 1969

If you right-click on a zip with 7Zip installed there should be a 7Zip sub-menu, and one of its commands should be Extract here which will unzip everything into the current folder.

edited December 1969

I usually just use windows explorer for those kinds of searches. The file paths are the same anyway...

edited December 1969

If you right-click on a zip with 7Zip installed there should be a 7Zip sub-menu, and one of its commands should be Extract here which will unzip everything into the current folder.

Yes, I am aware of that feature. But it would only be of use to me if the .zip was in "My Library" - usually, I have just downloaded the content .zip so it's in my "downloads" folder. I do look at the contents of the .zip first to see what's in it before I unzip. Usually it's just "runtime" so I unzip into My Library.