New to Carrara... Diving in Blind!!!

staticstatic Posts: 325
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Does Cararra use Studio content?
Does it use Bryce content?
Hexagon Content?
Poser?

or do I have to make it all from scratch?
Or is there Carrara Only content to be found somewhere...?

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

In order:

Yes
    No
    Yes
    Yes

No
    Yes

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

Cool, but I guess I forgot a question...part 2 of the last question, which would be:
    Where can I find that content?

edited December 1969

Great, thanks.

So, opinions, anyone?
    Is Carrara as good as its hype?
    I'm shelling out the big bucks here, as you all know and have done yourselves. I am no artist by any stretch, but I have an urge to reach for more than Studio or Poser. Is this going to be the right move for me? I'd appreciate your input.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Great, thanks.

So, opinions, anyone?
    I'm shelling out the big bucks here, as you all know and have done yourselves. I am no artist by any stretch, but I have an urge to reach for more than Studio or Poser. Is this going to be the right move for me? I'd appreciate your input.

Carrara does about 95% of what Poser or DAZ can do with content - excluding things like plugins, lights, and procedural shader sets that are exclusive to the individual programs....

It does a whole lot more too though. It's this "whole lot more" that will either make or break your enjoyment.

Rather than give you a whole feature list, here is a demo video for Carrara 8
    http://carraracafe.com/?page_id=60

DAZ's latest figure Genesis (the generation 5 people) is not yet fully supported, but the Carrara 8.5beta is made available with purchase that provides some compatibility with Genesis... That is the downside...

Look around the Cafe site for more info and a ton of tutorials...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

There should also be a trial version of Carrara itself. Not sure of the link. I believe it's a 30 day trial. It won't come with the included content, but it should be able to give you an opportunity to try various features/functions.

As Holly mentioned (and linked to) the Carrara Cafe has some very nice user galleries, and also featured galleries. Check them out!

As to whether it's the right move for you, only you can say. I would start by asking yourself why you feel Poser or DAZ Studio seems limiting? What are some things you would like to do in a general sense, then ask us if Carrara can do it. There is a lot that it can do.

Personally, I feel that I haven't reached a limit to what I can do with Carrara, though there are limitations, just as there are with all software. To me, it's one of the best bang-for-the-buck software investments I've ever made and I consider it a real bargain.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited March 2013

Great, thanks.

So, opinions, anyone?

My opinion:
    The hype is nothing compared to Carrara!
    [url=This thread, "Carrara Information", is stickied in this forum]This thread, "Carrara Information", is stickied in this forum, and although it is largely incomplete still, it has a lot to offer in various directions in which you can go in Carrara. Each page also contains some Quick Links consoles to help navigate the thread easier. If you ever have a good pile of time, I suggest digging around in there, read an article or two, but definitely watch as many Cripeman tutorials and Carrara Training video examples as you have time for - highly educational and even more entertaining! ;)
    The very top of the thread also has links to the most up-to-date official manuals, including the incomplete, beta of the Carrara 8 manual.

Feel free to post questions and/or suggestions for more examples you'd like to know about.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited March 2013

There should also be a trial version of Carrara itself. Not sure of the link. I believe it's a 30 day trial. It won't come with the included content, but it should be able to give you an opportunity to try various features/functions.

As Holly mentioned (and linked to) the Carrara Cafe has some very nice user galleries, and also featured galleries. Check them out!

As to whether it's the right move for you, only you can say. I would start by asking yourself why you feel Poser or DAZ Studio seems limiting? What are some things you would like to do in a general sense, then ask us if Carrara can do it. There is a lot that it can do.

Personally, I feel that I haven't reached a limit to what I can do with Carrara, though there are limitations, just as there are with all software. To me, it's one of the best bang-for-the-buck software investments I've ever made and I consider it a real bargain.

Yes, I guess you need a bit to go on...
    Well, I started with Poser and it was very complicated at first. This was my first experience with 3D anything and it took a few years to get going. I was pretty much self-taught with along with the added instruction I got from the person who got me into this.
    When Studio first showed up, I dabbled with it. That was a roller-coaster ride, but I persevered and gained some proficiency with that, but I realized I was limited to only the props and backgrounds I could get from content-creators, just as I was in Poser.
    Then I found Bryce, but with limited information, I couldn't really get anywhere until version 5 or 6.
    And with Hexagon, which I own, but have yet to get my teeth into, I am supposed to be able to make my own props.

Over the years, I have had various battles with internet providers, and I have just recently found a solid, semi-affordable carrier that can keep me online, so I am finally delving into the forums for answers.

My trouble is, 1st) I'm pretty much house-bound through both physical and financial distress. 3D Art gives me a way to keep from bouncing off the walls, so I spend a lot of time with it now. 2nd) I'm almost entirely self-taught these days and that means into one program and then into another and back and forth and so on, and that slows me down (personal idosync). 3rd) I have limited space left on my PC and I keep running into memory issues. I recently uninstalled some of my favorite games, because all the content had my hard drive down to actual kilobytes of space and nothing would run. I dumped 250 Gigs of games to feed my 3D-needs.

I heard Carrara does all these things in one program, so my interest was immediately piqued. I still want to learn more about those individual programs, but I sometimes need to not be bothered with all that shifting through the programs to do it. When I get a project in my head, I like to stick with it to the end, and lately my project ideas have started including possibilities requiring all three aspects of these various programs and cash-flow is hindering my creative urge (I can't afford to buy things that I believe I can make myself).

So, is Carrara my answer? I think it may be, but I'd like some expert user opinions.

Post edited by static on
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear about the some of the personal issues. I sincerely hope for the best for you.

Hex is a vertex modeler. Carrara has a vertex modeler, a spline modeler, a metaball modeler, a terrain generator, a plant generator/editor, dynamic hair and a whole slew of geometric primitives (cone, sphere, etc.) 3D paint, etc. etc.

Carrara also has a sky/atmosphere editor similar to Bryce (though probably not as poweful), volumetric clouds, and an ocean primitive. Carrara has a very useful replicator and surface replicator.

Carrara has a particle system, fire and fog primitives (not volumetric) as well as a crapload of various deformers and other specialized tools and effects.

Carrara has a powerful procedural shader system that is a joy to use and extremely powerful once you get into it.

As mentioned above by Holly, Carrara supports Poser figures and runtimes. Shaders will need minor tweeks as the shader systems are different. Carrara also has it's own rigging and weight painting system so that you can create your own rigs for models.

Carrara has some nice animation features including multiple tweeners, graph editor for keframes and NLA (Non-Linear Animation) clips and tracks.

Carrara has a fast renderer which also supports full and partial GI and Caustics. You can render out multiple passes for different effects such as depth, post effects, etc. for compositing in image editors.

There's a whole bunch of stuff like light types and effects that I'm not getting into as I need to get to bed.

I will not lie. Some features are a bit cludgy or in need of some updates, but I have yet to find one that doesn't actually work or doesn't have a work-around. The hair is a good example. It looks great in stills, but it's difficult to get the dynamics to properly animate. It also doesn't work well with certain volumetric or render-time light effects such as the light cone. The workaround is to plan your scene accordingly.

edited March 2013

Well, it sounds like its what I'm looking for...and a whole lot more. I am just getting started on shaders and I'm not quite sure just what they do; every time I think I know what they're for, a new thing pops up that doesn't relate to the first. I need to find a good, down to the basics tutorial for them. Some of the other items you mention I have also heard of, and some I've dabbled in, but no real knowledge of them. This looks like the thing to keep my hands and mind busy, and keep them from wandering between programs. :)

Thanks for the info, I'll be back with a thousand questions over the next few days, weeks, however long you guys can stand me asking them I guess.

Thanks to you all: Holly Wetcircuit, evilproducer, and Dartanbeck

Post edited by static on
    edited December 1969

Well, it sounds like its what I'm looking for...and a whole lot more. I am just getting started on shaders and I'm not quite sure just what they do; every time I think I know what they're for, a new thing pops up that doesn't relate to the first. I need to find a good, down to the basics tutorial for them. Some of the other items you mention I have also heard of, and some I've dabbled in, but no real knowledge of them. This looks like the thing to keep my hands and mind busy, and keep them from wandering between programs. :)

Thanks for the info, I'll be back with a thousand questions over the next few days, weeks, however long you guys can stand me asking them I guess.

Thanks to you all: Holly Wetcircuit, evilproducer, and Dartanbeck

I know I said I was going to bed... Bit of insomnia...

A shader and texture are sometimes used interchangeably. In it's most basic form think of it this way: A 3D object is made of points in 3D space. Using a vertex model as an example: The vertices are the points. The points are connected by lines making polygons. The software places a "skin" between these polygons. The skin has no real thickness and the object that is made up of the polygons is basically a balloon. The shader colors this skin. You can use image maps (pictures) to define the color and texture of the model or you can us software defined formulas to create shading and texturing effects. Carrara allows you to layer and mix and match these effects. If you're skilled enough and know the syntax, you can enter your own formula into Carrara and create a shader completely and mathematically your own. I have no such skill. Still, it is possible... ;-)

Poser and Daz figures are vertex models and are usually textured with image maps. With Carrara, you can use procedural shaders along with the texture maps to create some truly unique effects!

edited December 1969

Wow. I've looked this stuff up on the web and in computing dictionaries and manuals of all kinds, but that is the first explanation that truly brought it all together. But , you see, your mistake is that you said in concise, brain-friendly terms. If you would have been cryptic, like everybody else, you could have turned that paragraph into a book and made thousands!
    Thanks.

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Yikes! That's pricey! Well, I guess not so much for all the info they seem to have. I gotta save up for that, but the freebies there will help in the meantime...

Thanks

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Yikes! That's pricey! Well, I guess not so much for all the info they seem to have. I gotta save up for that, but the freebies there will help in the meantime...

Thanks

yep don't buy any thing yet - see how far you can go for free ;-)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Not much I can add here that the others have not already covered.

Talking to Dartanbeck about Carrara is like drinking from a firehose. I recommend it whenever you need a "hit." ;-)

Most of us are friendly and helpful and we definitely feed off of each other's enthusiasm. Carrara is a wonderful early introduction to 3D. Inexpensive enough to be approachable for most and powerful enough to really dig in deep once you are ready to do so.

The Infinite Skills training is superb. Dartanbeck and I should get kickbacks because we promote it so heavily. Between these forums and the great work being done at Carrara Cafe, you should have no problems with learning the app.

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

http://www.youtube.com/user/cripeman

Free tutorials at Youtube by the amazing "cripeman"

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

For Poser / DAZ content you can buy or get for free sharers for specific characters, props, etc.

Carrara Cafe and Share CG has a few free ones.

Learning wise you can pick up Carrara 5 Pro Handbook, by Mike de la Flour. Amazon has some copies at a cheap price. If you buy a used copy make sure you get the disk that comes with it as that has the support files for the book.

Even though it is for an older version everything in it still applies. You also get two Hexagon tutorials in the book too.

You can get an older version of Carrara for free. The book Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio to Create Beautiful Art [Paperback], by Les Pardew has Carrara 6 Pro on the disk that comes with it. You need to contact DAZ for the Serial Key. The disk is only in the first edition. So get the older 2009 version. You get a bunch of content on the disk too.

A few magazines also include full versions of older versions of Carrara on them.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

... but I have an urge to reach for more than Studio or Poser. Is this going to be the right move for me? I'd appreciate your input.

I vote yes. I spent years using Poser (and Bryce and Vue and even Lightwave), but struggled with character animation in Poser in large scenes. It just didn't seem to handle lots of lights and cameras very well. When I learned that Carrara loads Poser content directly from its own browser (no "import") along with all the adjustment dials, morphs, etc., I moved into it full time. I rarely use Poser anymore, pretty much just Carrara (and Vue Complete for landscapes and a few Vue-only props). I'm not a modeler, but for short animations by an amateur, Carrara is far and away the best program I have found. If you're interested, some of my animations are on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveK77536

"Blown Away" seems to get the best response from viewers/judges (an entry in a 48 Hour Film type contest).

edited December 1969

Ok, well I did it! I got some stuff up and running, trial version stuff, and I went to many of the the different web sites you have all been suggesting. I ran some tutorials today, and I do not think of myself as weak-willed, or easily seduced by advertising and gimmicks, but this was different. It was everything I hoped for and more. I dare say, I do not believe I will ever get to the depths of the possibilities I see here, but I'm going to spend a whole lot of time trying!
    Wow, I mean, you guys gave me a lot more than I had heard of, but you sure didn't spoil the dinner with the desert, either!
    Thanks again to all including those I did not mention earlier: londonmarlo, bigh, Garstor, Jay_NOLA, and Steve K
    But right now, I've got to get back to those tutorials...

edited December 1969

I know from your earlier post that money is tight, but from the sound of it, you would be best served by getting the "Pro" version of Carrara if you can swing it.

Happy rendering!

edited March 2013

Yes, that's what I had been saving for, and that's why I have been keen to get your opinions and to see things in action. I have the $179 for C8 Pro, but I needed to be sure. and that was the upshot of this 'line of questioning', for lack of a better term. I couldn't tell from the DAZ write-ups (they sure don't know how to advertise the high-points), so I went inside for the plain, dirty truth, and I got it from all of you. C8 Pro is in the bag, as they say.

Thanks again all, for all your help, and especially to you evilproducer (I know I kept you up late last night). I hope to bounce questions off you again in the future, if you don't mind.

Post edited by static on
    edited December 1969

Ok, well I did it! I got some stuff up and running, trial version stuff, and I went to many of the the different web sites you have all been suggesting. I ran some tutorials today, and I do not think of myself as weak-willed, or easily seduced by advertising and gimmicks, but this was different. It was everything I hoped for and more. I dare say, I do not believe I will ever get to the depths of the possibilities I see here, but I'm going to spend a whole lot of time trying!
    Wow, I mean, you guys gave me a lot more than I had heard of, but you sure didn't spoil the dinner with the desert, either!
    Thanks again to all including those I did not mention earlier: londonmarlo, bigh, Garstor, Jay_NOLA, and Steve K
    But right now, I've got to get back to those tutorials...

You will get there -- because a year ago I was saying the exact same thing and I'm still running to catch-up with these guys! :-)

edited December 1969

I should also mention that Carrara comes with boatloads of included content. Both native Carrara content including hi-res Carrara optimized skin shaders for M4 and V4. Some of the included models aren't that great, but some may surprise you. Personally I think the included shaders, plants, volumetrics and such are great, because you can open them up and see how they work.

Carrara also comes with M4 and V4 figures plus the morphs++ (at least the Pro version does). There may also be some more DAZ stuff, but I can't remember for sure.

edited December 1969

Yes, that's what I had been saving for, and that's why I have been keen to get your opinions and to see things in action. I have the $179 for C8 Pro, but I needed to be sure. and that was the upshot of this 'line of questioning', for lack of a better term. I couldn't tell from the DAZ write-ups (they sure don't know how to advertise the high-points), so I went inside for the plain, dirty truth, and I got it from all of you. C8 Pro is in the bag, as they say.

Thanks again all, for all your help, and especially to you evilproducer (I know I kept you up late last night). I hope to bounce questions off you again in the future, if you don't mind.

I'm glad you managed to swing C8 Pro. You won't be disappointed and you've got a great safety net of helpful people here.

I opened a support case with DAZ before I bought C8 just to get the straight-dope from them...DAZ-Studio or Carrara? They flat out said, "Carrara is the flagship but Studio is what we promote." If you value your sanity -- don't try to understand DAZ Marketing...just know that you've got the best of their tools now.

edited March 2013

I will do my best. My weakest area of expertise is the vertex modeler, but look for 3Dage (Andy), he is a true Carrara gem and very knowledgeable about the Vertex room.

Holly is a true shader and hair guru. I've learned so much from her that I can't even begin to express my thanks.

Cripeman is also a super source for information.

Wendy has a unique vision and an almost arcane knowledge on how to get stuff into other programs.

There are so many people here that have general and specialized knowledge about Carrara, I fear to try and name them all. Hang out here for awhile and you'll pick up on who has a handle on physics or plants.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

I'm glad you managed to swing C8 Pro. You won't be disappointed and you've got a great safety net of helpful people here.

I opened a support case with DAZ before I bought C8 just to get the straight-dope from them...DAZ-Studio or Carrara? They flat out said, "Carrara is the flagship but Studio is what we promote." If you value your sanity -- don't try to understand DAZ Marketing...just know that you've got the best of their tools now.

You got that right! I gave up trying to understand their marketing strategies years ago. But one thing I have come to know and understand, is that their software users are usually friendly and straightforward (there are some, as in all forums, that just can help but condescend to those they don't even know :-/ ). I've watched Studio and Poser forums for years, off and on, but just recently started to participate in them. And now, I'm glad I did. ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Congrats Static drifter! You're gonna love the ride! ;)