SSS map? What should it look like?

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Anyways Holly,
    you were absolutely correct in thinking that this could add some 'warmth' to your pale shader. I think that something that pale may actually look better with something more on the cool and creepy side, however... but it's your call. I used to use sss all the time, and it does interact with the light in different ways. Some people are looking for an immediate 'glow' effect, which is what might happen if you get close enough to an intense light source - otherwise, it will simply use an algorithm to determine how and where to apply a subtle scattering of color - depending upon your settings. It's been too long since I've read the tutorial, and I'll have to get into that again soon, but have you ever tried Indigone's V4 Skin Shader Kit and Lights? I used that kit as my base shader set-up (still do, actually) and then place in my texture maps where instructed. She uses sss, but I think it's fairly subtle. But I've seen it work - I just decided that the extra render time wasn't worth the effect for my animations - which are more fantasy than real, anyways.

If I were to be making my anims more realistic, I would certainly afford the bits of extra time - because the way Indigone has it set up, the time isn't that bad. Like I said, I ran it like that for some time before I finally decided it was an unnecessary improvement. It is a good kit, and I recommend that anyone trying to find a better way to shade figures to have a try with her cool kit. One thing I've noticed in most of the people that I know, who have ultra pale skin, however, is that they scatter a more blueish-green color than of warmth. Kinda eerie. Some not so much, but most - yeah.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yeah, there's definitely some people who have a pearly-white thing going on with their skin... As I recall, SSS seems to explode under GI. Another reason I don't "get" it, since I don't use GI on people if I can help it....

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Yeah, there's definitely some people who have a pearly-white thing going on with their skin... As I recall, SSS seems to explode under GI. Another reason I don't "get" it, since I don't use GI on people if I can help it....

Ironically, I recall the manual recommending using GI to get the best results with SSS and Translucency. I agree, it tends to blow it out.