Locking the Viewport Window

This is for DazStudio. Can we please get a lock that prevents the viewport window size being changed. I accidentally grab the edge of the side panes sometimes and move them. It then displaces the scene and mutlitple renders needed to layer effects, and add shaders, and change or add lights, end up no longer lining up. It doesn't take much at all to make a mess like this. Please create a lock to prevent this. I've been in dire need of this going back to the V3 days.

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

A work around would be to save your current layout as a custom layout then you can just reset when needed.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

That implies you've been rendering directly to the Viewport, so you just don't get proper control over render size — the Viewport has no fixed size, it's just "whatever's left over in between all the docked tabs and tab groups". Have you tried rendering to a new window, or directly to a file? That lets you fix specified render dimensions and lock it, by adjusting the parameters in Render Settings>General.

Note that you can also have local dimension settings on each camera, I think these override the General settings.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,933
    edited July 2017

Yeah, best to invoke Create > New Camera, and in the window that pops up you'll probably want to tick either Apply Active View: <PerspectiveView> or Apply Active Viewport Transforms: <PerspectiveView> from there, you can then adjust the camera settings later from the Parameters tab (towards the right side), where you'll then select Camera 1 (or whatever you named it) and take it from there.

Just make sure when you're doing adjustements to stuff in the scene, you've gone back to Perspective View in the little grey bar on the upper right in the Viewport.  (You can have different views selected sepereately when on each of the upper tabs.)

Note that when you create the camera with one of the Apply Acive View... tickboxes, it clones the Perspective view you are on the moment when you invoke making the camera, so you'll want to move the Viewport into the angle and position you want the new camera to go first.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

That implies you've been rendering directly to the Viewport, so you just don't get proper control over render size — the Viewport has no fixed size, it's just "whatever's left over in between all the docked tabs and tab groups". Have you tried rendering to a new window, or directly to a file? That lets you fix specified render dimensions and lock it, by adjusting the parameters in Render Settings>General.

Note that you can also have local dimension settings on each camera, I think these override the General settings.

Interesting outlook. I have minimal windows docked with a big viewpoint window. Whenever I change the render dimensions other than viewpoint in settings before rendering, it then changes the perspective in the viewpoint which is counter productive as I have that window set exactly at how I want my image to be. As for the OP, I would like a lock also as I sometimes move a window on accident also and it's frustrating.

• bobmalebobmale Posts: 40

It's taken me a while, but I've tested different things and I'm stuck with the need to not have the viewport be altered. Or put another way, for the viewport size to be unrelated to the Aspect Ratio box. I'm not quite sure what else to call it. The box with the two aspect numbers. It would be stable if the Docking Areas could overlap without affect. From a functional stand point I can't understand why one would affect the other, but maybe there's a software/coding reason.

I appreciate the help to work around it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    bobmale said:

It's taken me a while, but I've tested different things and I'm stuck with the need to not have the viewport be altered. Or put another way, for the viewport size to be unrelated to the Aspect Ratio box. I'm not quite sure what else to call it. The box with the two aspect numbers. It would be stable if the Docking Areas could overlap without affect. From a functional stand point I can't understand why one would affect the other, but maybe there's a software/coding reason.

I appreciate the help to work around it.

IIRC it's a QT issue; in DS2 the when you collapsed/expanded one of the side docks, the viewport was unchanged.  DS3 had an updated QT and that was no longer possible.

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

I just googled this.  It would be better to be able to lock the viewport. I really hope they add this feature.  Does anyone know how to make a feature request from DAZ?

• Is there still no way to fix these sizes? I'm on DS 4.15.

I, for instance, use a set up where I have a perspective viewport across the top and two ortho windows along the bottom. I'm using the ortho frames for guide reference. I want it up close so I can see if everything is ling up, and I don't want it with perspective distortion... But when I select the perspective viewport to work on the figures, DS imparts that full-screen-across aspect shape on the TWO windows below, thereby doubling the width and effectively halving the size of the image I'm working with in those two lower windows. I'm surprised there isn't some preference setting to either use the selected viewport for all render ratios, or to leave the viewports independent.

Anyway, I'm just adding my vote to this post. I would like ths feature.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,898

Go to Render Settings, switch Dimension Preset (Global) from Active Viewport to Custom