Not seeing Carrara files in Windows 10 while in Carrara: Solved - Carrara Healed Thyself

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,932
edited July 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Greetings, thanks for help on this!

I  just transferred over to a new machine with windows 10.

When I am in Carrara I can see my old Carara files made in my old machine (Win7), but not the new ones that I am making while in Windows 10 pro.

I can see them in the My Computer, and they load up in Carrara if I click on them.

It happens in both Carrara 8.1 and 8.5 (not the beta)

thanks for any advice.

cheers

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952

have you looked in default fir files settings 

I had this issue when I installed Carrara 6 on my Win7 machine and had to fix it there

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,861

What do you mean by see them?

in the Carrara tab?

or when you open/import a file?

or the Smart content?

well when I installed C6 it saw them C7 which I was on did not

this was opening via file in the program

only option was to drop them in but could not merge, I believe my browser still saw them though.

Windows does not like more than one default program for a filetype by looks though multiple programs can open them under rightclick open with.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,932

thanks for those ideas Wendy, I will try them when I get back to the machine, Drag and drop is a good idea - I was worried about not being able to import car files into another car file.

Hya Stezza - i can see the files in my normal windows explorer, but when I am in Carrara and want to open them, Carrara cannot see them.

Maybe it's my fault as I have copied my preferences. txt  and Extensions over from my old install?

On the plus side, VWD seems to be much quicker and handles more complex stuff (???I think)

drag and drop opens a new scene, to merge/add they need to be in a browser

th3Digit said:

drag and drop opens a new scene, to merge/add they need to be in a browser

hmm thanks Wendy

Yep.. your old preference file will be it... unless your new system is set up identical with the HD it will look in the old place..

easy fix is open the preference file file in notepad and do a search and replace.. 

eg.. E: to D: if your Drive setup is different. I have had this before and is an easy fix. 

ah thanks Stezza, I actually changed the names of the hard drive, but I will check that in the preferences.txt - as I still have another drive with the wrong name

cheers again :)

well I am home at my desk and the thing has solved itself..........

thanks for all the advice!!

smart new computer yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Congratulations on the new computer!

Juicy geek details?

edited July 2017

well I spoke too soon - Carrara 8.5 sees them, carrara 8.1 doesnt - will have a tinker later !

Unified Brain, I ended up with this, I was given good advice in this forum, thanks to everyone :)

It's always a PITA setting up a new machine - glad it's almost done !

oT discovered I can work in Car 8.1 and Car 8.5 simultaneously  and very smoothly

I guess it renders about 20 percent faster than the last one - Photo Shop Elements is much quicker for my bigger files (2gig)

Here's the geek numbers - it cost a fair amount in oztralia unfortunately otherwise I would have gone for two of the GeForces and a bigger ssd drive. I found Filter Forge maxes out at 3000 pixels unless I buy the pro version - so it hasnt been an advantage for that

AMD Ryzen 1700X 8C/16T CPU OC

ASUS Prime B350-Plus motherboard

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo Cooler

32 g DDR4 Kingston Ram

256G SSD M.2 Intel 6 Gen PCI Express + 2 times  Seagate 2TB HDD

ASUS 8G GeForce GTX 1070 PCI Express

Cooler Master MasterBox 5 + 650W Power Fractal Design

22 Speed DVD RW ASUS

Built in Gigabit Lan USB 3.0 SATA 3.0

Windows 10 Pro 64

8.1 preference file is in a different location... you need to edit it as well..

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088

Stezza, I sent you a PM.

thanks Stezza, the Car 8.5 is using a copy of the Car 8.1 preferences txt (I am lazy)

I'll open it up and look around!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    head wax said:
    AMD Ryzen 1700X 8C/16T CPU OC

ASUS Prime B350-Plus motherboard

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo Cooler

32 g DDR4 Kingston Ram

256G SSD M.2 Intel 6 Gen PCI Express + 2 times  Seagate 2TB HDD

ASUS 8G GeForce GTX 1070 PCI Express

Cooler Master MasterBox 5 + 650W Power Fractal Design

22 Speed DVD RW ASUS

Built in Gigabit Lan USB 3.0 SATA 3.0

Windows 10 Pro 64

Beastly!  If that Ryzen performs as advertised, you've got to be happy.  It also sounds good for animation, should you stray in that direction.

Transitioning to a new system is no fun.  I wish that I could help on the "files not visible" issue, but I have never used windows 10, and mostly rely on DIM to keep things in working order.

thanks UB! Turns out there was a simple fix - but my net had crashed so I couldnt access the destructions!

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322
    edited July 2017

Also give a try to free 3D software from Microsoft Paint 3D (Kind a mix of 3D Builder and View 3D), 3D Builder and View 3D on Windows 10. I really liked Paint 3D especially sticker and texture painting. I also uploaded some of my models which I created with Carrara on Remix 3D which is a companion site for Paint 3D for promoting work done with Carrara. I tried exporting 3D doodle to Carrara and it worked fine.

Hopefully they can continue to update Paint 3D since it can be a free companion for Carrara etc. and is really modern looking.

Post edited by Samuel S. on
    I Samuel said:

Also give a try to free 3D software from Microsoft Paint 3D (Kind a mix of 3D Builder and View 3D), 3D Builder and View 3D on Windows 10. I really liked Paint 3D especially sticker and texture painting. I also uploaded some of my models which I created with Carrara on Remix 3D which is a companion site for Paint 3D for promoting work done with Carrara. I tried exporting 3D doodle to Carrara and it worked fine.

Hopefully they can continue to update Paint 3D since it can be a free companion for Carrara etc. and is really modern looking.

thanks fr the heads up on that, looking forward to trying it!

edited July 2017

I went all out on it!  

pug.jpg
    640 x 480 - 73K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Stezza said:

I went all out on it!  

hah better than your usual work :) great ccharacter for a kids book "Frodo The Dog and His Furry Friends.'

• Hi HW,

Any updates on how your system is running?  How is the Ryzen performing?

Besides wanting more cores, I'm also reluctantly starting to look into Win 10.

Hya UB, system is very fast, and runs smoothly with win 10 (touch wood!!!).

You get used to the new speed though of course. I wouldnt have been able to finish the work for my show without the new box, everything is 75cm by 55 at 300 dpi. Usually renders in a few minutes - unless i screw up the lighting or have refraction or something silly~

• OK, thanks!

I'm only running 8 mb memory.  Windows is starting to complain. :)  I imagine that it will probably get worse with animation.

75 x 55 is pretty big.  Are you printing out at this size?  If so, you must have a wide format printer.

edited September 2017

Hya, oh I get them done commercially, pigment prints on fancy doodah hahnemuehle paper.

if you want professional work best to go to professionals !

Forgot to mention that Daz studio still runs like a slug on my new rig - could be just me ;)

those studio users have no idea what they are missing out by not using Carrara -

mind you  studio looks very good for 856 by 512 pixel renders ;)

bloatware cool

Stezza said:

bloatware cool

like my tummy :)