First steps into Bryce. [OS X 10.6 user]

IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
edited June 2012 in Bryce Discussion

Hi everyone, been using DS4 for a while and thought i would start on Bryce so I thought to myself where better to ask for advice!!

My hardware spec is in the pic below, will this be ok do you think, I have the mac running in 64 bit mode too tho I know B7 is a 32 bit program.

regards to all :)

spec00.png
280 x 500 - 40K
Post edited by IanTP on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Very important question What OS x ?

If you are using OSX Lion , then I am afraid Bryce just will not work,

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

No, its not lion, i'm still on snow leopard (10.6.8) have not 'upgraded' ;)

edited December 1969

Well in that case you should be good to go.

I think Snow leopards are much prettier than Lions anyway

edited December 1969

The newest version is called Mountain Lion :)

edited December 1969

Question 1, do i need to install Bryce Lightning if I am only rendering on the one computer.

edited December 1969

First problem, installing the file BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Mac i have run into an issue, have attached the offending dialog box :-(

bryceBug1.png
    474 x 154 - 21K
    edited December 1969

Ooh, that's a strange one. We need a Mac user to help yoou there. I suggest you add Mac User to your thread title. THere are quite a few around. A lot of Brycers are Mac Usres.

BTW, no you don't need lightining unless you are setting up for network rendering as a render farm.

edited December 1969

Thanks Cho, I'm stating to wonder if I had already installed it, cause i've just got the following message on installing the pro content, (pic below) but I just ran Bryce and it asked me for the serial, so maybe i hadn't done it before. (thread title changed, thanks for the hint)

bryceBug2.png
    650 x 372 - 63K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ooh, that's a strange one. We need a Mac user to help yoou there. I suggest you add Mac User to your thread title. THere are quite a few around. A lot of Brycers are Mac Usres.

BTW, no you don't need lightining unless you are setting up for network rendering as a render farm.

OK, its all in, I installed the pro content, then the bryce content went in fine, so very weird. ;)

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Glad you got it to work!

Sometimes the Mac BitRock installers throw up an error but then goes ahead and does the install after hitting OK.

You can also run into installer issues if you're not logged in as Administrator.

MacPro, OS10.6.8

edited June 2012

Glad you got it sorted. So now when do we see the first Bryce render

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

he he he, i'm taking a look at the Bryce 6 artist guide now ;-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Question 1, do i need to install Bryce Lightning if I am only rendering on the one computer.

No. Lightning is the network render client. You need a home network with more than one computer to make use of this feature. Unfortunately, at this time, all those computers need to be either Macs or PCs. Mixing them was lost with new versions.

edited December 1969

Ah, you mean it is pointless me bringing that ZX spectrum down from under the spare bed, to help my rendering go faster

edited December 1969

Those old Z80 CPU's probably make very good render crunchers ;-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ah, you mean it is pointless me bringing that ZX spectrum down from under the spare bed, to help my rendering go faster

Yup. I can't use my ZX80 and ZX81 either, neither the five Z80 based computers I made some years ago. But my 10 years old Win2000 laptop with 500 MB RAM can be used for small scenes.