clone-instance

hello guys!!!   when using a replicator, in C8, the replicator create instances, "clones"... is it possible to create these clones without replicatgor, just as a very light duplicata, like for example in cine 4d?    then you can rotate, and place where you want, the clone...??? I have to create a very complicated and heavy scene in C8 pro, but I don't want hasardous replicated items, like with the replicator... Just clonong the objects... thank you for help!!!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

you can duplicate objects

its not as light as replication and external renderers like Octane see them as extra mesh so no save there

but in Carrara itsself and its renderer they are treated as lesser copies resource wise as long as not modified other than resize transform.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yes

A - Duplicate 

If it's not a riggerd figure, Ctrl + D (Edit > Duplicate) will duplicate an instance of the object. This is very handy because after we Duplicate, then move, rotate, and/or scale the duplicate, then duplicate again without changing selections, those move, rotate, and/or scale will apply to the following duplicated piece. So multiple duplications can quickly make for an excellent way to fill a scene with only one object (one the master oject is used in RAM)

B - Replicate Real Instances

As the replicators warn, this can be an easy way to overload your system or the software if not used with caution. We may use either replicator and, in the replicator page, choose to create "Real" instances. This will give you control of each replication to move, rotate, and/or scale the replicated objects individually, but still only using the master instance. However, we may not indivually pose the individual elements of these replicated objects in the case of rigged figures. They must remain as they were when replicated.

C - Fenric's Tree Duplicate

I'll check to see which of Fenric's products contains this tool, but Fenric's Tree Duplicate tool (Edit > Tree Duplicate or Alt + Shift + D) allows us to make copies of a rigged figure (or even a group full of rigged figures) and each new instance is its own piece and can be completely manipulated in its own way - for it is entirely a completely individual, new item in the scene with its own shaders, etc., (unless we Consolidate Duplicate Shaders)

edited July 2017

C - Fenric's Tree Duplicate

I'll check to see which of Fenric's products contains this tool, but Fenric's Tree Duplicate tool (Edit > Tree Duplicate or Alt + Shift + D) allows us to make copies of a rigged figure (or even a group full of rigged figures) and each new instance is its own piece and can be completely manipulated in its own way - for it is entirely a completely individual, new item in the scene with its own shaders, etc., (unless we Consolidate Duplicate Shaders)

Here it is:

I grabbed this from my article:

Fenric's Tools ​​
    A brief overview of Fenric's amazing Carrara plugins

Posing Pack 3 - Here it is! There was a discussion going on just the other day about changing the visibility of an entire hierarchy chain being a pain in the butt! This plugin (I totally forgot about that function) has that capability and a whole lot more! I use this thing CONSTANTLY!

This thing adds Tree Duplicate to the list of "Edit > Fenric" commands, which allows us to essentially duplicate things which cannot be duplicated! Instead of actual duplication, these Tree Duplicates are their own instances or separate figures, not the memory-saving instances we get from duplicated props and simple objects. But it makes it so we can get exact copies of - yes - Figures!!! So useful for vehicles, rigged building figures, even character figures. It basically (and quickly) pretends to add whatever is selected into the browser (without adding it to the browser) and drags it back into the scene - really fast! But wait... there's a lot more!

This also adds the aforementioned Unlock Figure and Restore Figure! Wanna add a custom morph zone into a locked figure? Unlock it - change it - Restore it! Yup!

We also get the Set Figure Visibility command which, as I've started this tool's description with, allows us to hide entire chains of hierarchy within a figure with a single click! I gotta tell John and Misty!!!

It also adds Change Rotation, which is a command which will go through the whole figure and change ALL of the joint rotations from Carrara's default Quaternion to Angles! So if you've ever loaded in a figure that ends up looking like it's tied in a knot as soon as you start working with it, you now know how to fix it! :)

Details

The Posing Toolkit 3 gives you the power you need to get your work done, unlocking and enabling a number of critical features that allow you to tap into the awesome potential of Carrara!

Have you ever set up the perfect background figure: clothes, hair, accessories, got everything all set and then remembered that Carrara just won't let you duplicate it? Oh, the menu option is there, teasing you - but it's disabled! The Replicator just won't cut it: you need individual poses! Enter the Tree Duplicator: duplicate anything and everything that can be selected in the scene tree!

You've got a nifty new bit of conforming clothing, but there aren't any morph areas! Morphing a posed figure is great, but you need to be able to set the stuff up, right? The new Unlock Figure command opens up the power locked away behind those greyed out menu options. (And you can put things back to the way Carrara expects with the Restore Figure command)

Sometimes, you've just got to hide things! But clicking the awkwardly-located "Visible" checkbox on imported content can be a chore. Just imagine hiding a hand with the fingers... oy! The new Set Figure Visibility command will do the hard work for you, activating or deactivating an entire chain of body parts with the click of a button.

Do rotation options have your custom figures spinning around? Or are Carrara's defaults turning your people into pretzels? Carrara's default "Quarternion" controller is powerful, but also incompatible with just about everything. The Change Rotation command comes to the rescue, changing everything from a single joint to an entire skeleton to the much more compatible "Angles" controller.

What's Included and Features

• Five new scene commands
      • Tree Duplicator
      • Unlock Figure
      • Restore Figure
      • Change Rotation
      • Set Figure Visibility
      •  
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Each of the methods mentioned in my earlier post have their benfits. I'll never say that one is better than the other, as I use them all, each of them, quite a lot. 

The original replicator has its own merits over the surface replicator, whose own unique talents speak for themselves! ;)   I also have "Replica" from Inagoni, and love that too!

• Thank you for your answers!!!

is it sure that duplicating and object get an instance, with no "weight"???    It seems that the scene is more heavy, and camera move more difficults...?

to duplicate a rigged charcater, I use the ball with all the colored squares, in the shader room... so I export in obj, then re import, then apply the shaders all in one, with the "colored ball" of the shader room... It's far lighter than another rigged character, but it is one obj more, and with 50 or so on, it's becoming reallly difficult to handle...   does the Fenric plug in goes to a more lighter clone??

does the Fenric plug in goes to a more lighter clone??

No, the other way around. Fenric's plugin makes one the does add weight.

The sluggish behavior you're experiencing is from the Working View rendering weight, which is why Replicators have the option to view as dots or bounding boxes, etc.,

An example:

• Start an empty scene and add an object like a sphere
    • Go to the Objects tab to verify there is only one object in the scene
    • Now select that object and Ctrl + D to duplicate it

You'll notice that there is still only one object in the object tab, and no additional shaders, if you check the shaders tab.

TIP:     When my working view becomes sluggish, I select all of the items in an area of the scene that I don't need to see anymore and group them (Ctrl G) together and deselect "Show in 3D view" so they disappear from my working view. BAM! Instant working view speed again! They still render, but don't slow down the working view.

Thank you for your answers!!!

is it sure that duplicating and object get an instance, with no "weight"???    It seems that the scene is more heavy, and camera move more difficults...?

to duplicate a rigged charcater, I use the ball with all the colored squares, in the shader room... so I export in obj, then re import, then apply the shaders all in one, with the "colored ball" of the shader room... It's far lighter than another rigged character, but it is one obj more, and with 50 or so on, it's becoming reallly difficult to handle...   does the Fenric plug in goes to a more lighter clone??

well those you can consolidate shaders for and duplicate the objects unlike rigged figure wich need either Fenrics plugin or instancing.

th3Digit said:

Thank you for your answers!!!

well those you can consolidate shaders for and duplicate the objects unlike rigged figure wich need either Fenrics plugin or instancing.

Precisely!

Very good practice, if you don't need them to be rigged! Wendy's point is spot-on, too... don't forget to Consolidate those darned duplicate shaders!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

to understand how this works,. try this.

Create a cube (or something else),. then Duplicate it a few times,.

Now look at the "Objects" tab in the bottom right panels.

You should see One object.

all the duplicates are copies of that original object.

In the "instance" list,. you see that each Duplicate has it's own name,. which makes working with each duplicate more managable.

If you "Edit" one of the Duplicates,. Carrara will ask what you want to do,. either Edit the "original" (to change all instances),. or create a "New master object" from this duplicate.

If you choose "New",. then you'll have two objects in the objects tab.

If you create a Replicator,. and add your cube,.  you can have thousands of "virtual" duplicates. there's no Instance list of named duplicates,. just the replicator and the cube.

If you create Another replicator,. and add your replicator and cube,(as the replicated object). then you can have thousands of replicators of thousands of duplicates.

still only one real object.

Hope it helps :)

• i have a slightly different question. i have a item, hair, that i need to create multiple duplecates of, like 40. only the hair, so i can add different shaders to each one. other than going into the    edit>duplicate> duplicate node(s) tab FOR EACH ONE ( it does NOT give me the option of doing more than one at a time, even if there is an 's' at the end of 'node(s).... is there a better/easier way to make multiple duplicates?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited August 2018

i have a slightly different question. i have a item, hair, that i need to create multiple duplecates of, like 40. only the hair, so i can add different shaders to each one. other than going into the    edit>duplicate> duplicate node(s) tab FOR EACH ONE ( it does NOT give me the option of doing more than one at a time, even if there is an 's' at the end of 'node(s).... is there a better/easier way to make multiple duplicates?

hya

make a couple then group them ctrl/g ?

duplicate that group ctrl/d

join group i to group 2 by grouping them

duplicate that resultant group etc

they will reproduce like rabbits

at then end you can ungroup the groups if necessary 

Or you could replicate it then make real instances

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

You may also be interested in a free plugin by SparrowHawke.  The plugin randomizes the shaders of replicated objects.  PhilW used it to vary the the shaders of the shirts of figures replicated in a crowded movie theater.

http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html

Diomede said:

You may also be interested in a free plugin by SparrowHawke.  The plugin randomizes the shaders of replicated objects.  PhilW used it to vary the the shaders of the shirts of figures replicated in a crowded movie theater.

http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html-

good call 

to duplicate hairs I have to drag to browser and save or export then add the new one 

• thank you for the information!

• unfortunately that link goes to a product designed for carrara ONLY, and it does not appear it is supported for daz :-( which is too bad. good to know for any carrara users out there though!

unfortunately that link goes to a product designed for carrara ONLY, and it does not appear it is supported for daz :-( which is too bad. good to know for any carrara users out there though!

it's not too late to become a Carrara user ;)