Soft Body Physics and Renders

So I decided to play with draping, something I haven't done in a while, and I've got an issue. I can set things up and they work just fine, but... when I go to render there is no draping. Okay, that is clear as mud so lets take an example. Place some random shapes and then do a mesh object with physics + soft body. Run the physics solver and it looks like exhibit A, but when rendered it looks like exhibit B. The green "cloth" from Exhibit A is the mottled green in Exhibit B. Just a plane without any soft body at all.

Any ideas? I'm really hoping this isn't an issue with Carrara and an OS X update (for the record I haven't (yet) done the upgrade referred to in my previous question).

Exhibit_B.jpg
1280 x 960 - 107K
Exhibit_A.png
2538 x 1894 - 721K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

those Carrara terrains all have displacement you should disable as prob obscuring stuff

and not colliding

can make it a vertex object

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452

there is no terrain, just some primitive shapes and a mesh object plane. Forget that I tossed a terrain shader on it. The problem is that the physics solver works, but when rendered there is no soft body deformation.

If you use soft body physics and do a render, is the object rendered with the soft body deformation or not?

There is no problem with physics *motion* -- if an object has its "motion" set to "physics" and the physics solver is run then the generated location/rotation is properly handled and when rendered the physics object is placed where it should be. No problem there.

Its just the soft body modifier that I'm seeing problems with. The deformation produced by the physics solver shows just fine in the Assemble room, but when rendering the undeformed mesh is used instead.

I've done this successfully in the past, but it has been years. Either I've forgotten something or a newer version of OS X (or some other change in the environment) is causing things to not work correctly. I'm trying to figure out what.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452

I think I've found it: the mesh object had "smoothing" enabled. Turning that off appears to have done the trick.