Can I use my DAZ library in Carrara

Hi,
I'm considering buying Carrara 8.5, I have a pretty large library of DAZ stuff, figures, scenes, animation, poses etc, can I use these in Carrara please?

Also does Carrara have Mimic lipsync?

I really would be most grateful for some help.

Thanks

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Carrara can load and work with most Poser and Daz3D figures up to Genesis 2.

there has been no support for genesis 3 or 8 added to carrara..

Carrara is a complete 3D suite of tools,.  not just a faster renderer, or a better way to work with Daz3D and Poser figures.

You have all the tools to create your own "stuff" ,.. whether that's a ball, a ball park, or an alien figure playing ball in a ball park,.. is up to you.

Carrara has dynamics and physics, terrain and environment tools, plant creation tools,. 3D painting ,. particle systems,. and a whole lot more....

Carrara has it's own "Mimic for carrara" plugin (not free) which allows you to simply create your own Phonemes/Visemes for your own figures,. or load a "mimic ready" Daz3D figure and it's DMC configuration file,.. then you'd add an audio track and run mimic for carrara to auto create the facial animation.

The Mimic animation is created in carrara's NLA Tracks for the head. (Non Linear Animation) ... (blocks of animation which can be moved).... (like Aniblocks in Studio)

Hope that helps :)

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

For Genesis 3, see http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/genesis-3-in-carrara-tutorial-series-by-misty-lara/

I'm new to Carrara, and so far I'm finding that loading stuff in requires patience and attention. Rendering can be blazingly fast, which is exactly where you need the speed when you're animating, but the first steps of assembling content to render can take quite a bit of patience.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

The overwhelming percentage of products in the Daz store work in Carrara.  However, some newer content has serious problems as discussed below. 

For all products, shaders tend to need tweaking.  For a few large products sets that have unusual tiling, this can be tedious.  Most sets and props are not bad, though.  Just adjust and save a Carrara shader preset when you purchase.  It is usually just a matter of adjusting the bump channel, checking to see that highlight maps loaded, and that sort of thing,

For the original rigging Daz figures like Vicki 1 - 4, the basics such as morphs, poses, hair, etc. will work pretty much as expected.

For Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, the rigging works, etc.  However, geografts do not work (couple of suggested fixes exist), and HD morphs do not work (no fixes that I am aware of).

Neither Genesis 3 nor Genesis 8 work natively in Carrara.  For Genesis 3, there is a character set by Misty at that other store site which allows it to be used in Carrara.  The accompanying clothing needs to be converted to "blended" weightmap and then will work on Misty's G3 characters.  Genesis 3 clothing can be used in Carrara on other figures using the VWD draping plugin.

Fibermesh hair can be a system resources hog - at least on my machine.  But given time, will work.

Poser figures that use the original rigging are fine (P7 Simon and P7 Sydney for example).  Figures that use the newer Poser rigging such as Miki 4 and Tyler have some problems.  Fenric has a free plugin that can help somewhat with newer Poser figures, but he has expressed disssatisfaction with the way the Poser feet are parented to the rigging.