Need shorter head

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited July 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I'm building a character based on a real person and I need the head to be shorter.

Is there a simpler way to do that than raising the chin, mouth, noise, eyes, and brow?  

I'm using FaceGen with a V4 UV mesh to put the person's textured face on Genesis Female.

(also have a skeleton parented to the figure, so don't want anything starting to poke through)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post edited by Mosk the Scribe on

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited July 2017

Have you tried selecting the head, then in the motion tab, adjust the Z size according to the height of the head that you need.

Head scale.png
    1916 x 1033 - 668K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited July 2017

Genesis-V5 as a toon after scaling head & limbs.

V5 toon Topaz 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Just tried with a default genesis figure and simple scaling works somewhat - though eyes and gums/teeth don't scale with that, so gets off with extreme scaling

Not sure that would work with the face I'm after, though, because this would keep same proportional distances for everything, rather than sliding all up on face.

I ended up just tweaking each parameter and moving on to next issue now . . . thanks

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Actual scaling (motion tab) of figure parts can also have a (bad) tendency to mess up animation data too. Like looping an NLA clip... my original Rosie (V4) character was scaled in the motion tab, and I had issues. Stephanie 4 Petite came out with morphs that alter the actual scale of the figure - those fixed everything for me.

V4 is one of the only magical figures from Daz3d which is relatively unlocked as far as adding morphs to. We can go into the model room, add a new morph target to the list (in this situation, under Head body part) and go about making our own morph(s) to get the right shape. Have you tried something like that?

My previous Rosie (V4) character was built in Carrara 8.0 or 8.1, and had a bunch of experimental morphs to help make her animate better. I haven't done this to my new one yet using 8.5, so I'm not sure if the whole Genesis thing changed all of that (for V4) or not.

• Hey @Dartanbeck

First, thanks for all of your helpful posts throughout the Carrara forums; I come across your stuff frequently, and even if I don't comment on that thread, I appreciate the effort you take in making Carrara more usable for everyone.

Regarding my current project, I have to work with Genesis, because I'm using Facegen to put the person's face on the figure (have tried Faceshop in the past (which lets you use other DAZ models), but I never liked the results.  Right now have a deadline and got my proportions good enough with varied morphs, but this would be useful info for the future, so I'll have to experiment with adding custom morphs to Genesis at some point and see if that breaks any functionality.

Thanks.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2017

Darts pretty cool with his help..... yes

I import a Genesis OBJ into Carrara from DS and hack away then reload in DS as a morph and save it out so I can use it whenever..

To reduce the work hacking I pose G in DS first using what morphs I have to get him into the proximity of what I want then export that as an OBJ using the base mesh and then continue on pushing and pulling in Carrara's model room.

Post edited by Stezza on