Help recreating this type of hair for animation in carrara

I'm trying to get reasonably close to this style with some DAZ hair to recreate this person.  Will be animating inside of Carrara - and want to keep render times quick so wasn't looking to create hair inside of Carrara.  Have lots of DAZ hair products, but nothing like this out of the box.

Modified a Lorenzo Low Res hair product just by deleting some areas and tugging vertices around - reproduces shape more or less but doesn't look great.

Any suggestions on how to approach this (or DAZ products (or share cg or Content paradise) that would work reasonably well?

Thanks

HairSuggest.jpg
1478 x 1627 - 310K
HairSuggestProfile.jpg
1722 x 2112 - 325K

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Carrara hair can be "non dynamic",. it's only dynamic if you simulate the motion.

Short hair doesn't really move that much,.

I'd do it in carrara, since you have the ability to create the growth area , and style the hairs to suit your reference images

• Thanks for the model tips and suggestion to design in Carrara.  None of those models looked ideal, so with Andy's nudge, I went back through the hair tutorials and re-read that section of the old Carrara manual - and particularly since i'm dealing with short hair, which needn't be dynamic, this looks like a very workable solution.  I thought renders would be very slow with Carrara hair - but that doesn't look to be the case at all.

I've noticed that if I leave shiny and highlight anywhere close to their defaults of 20%, the hair looks extremely light/blonde regardless of the colors i assign to root and tip.

If I put shiny and highlights down in the 3-4% range, the hair resembles the colors assigned to root and tip.

Is that expected behavior?  (or is there some other setting I should look at)

Also, do I need to worry about shutting off hair collisions with the model (genesis), clothing, and/or hair cap - or is that only relevant for Dynamic / animated hair?

And even with dynamic hair, can I ignore clothing that won't come in contact with the hair?

And should I turn off hair interacting with other hair particles?  (or is that only if you have multiple hair objects)

Thanks

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Mosk

The physics options for the hair should only apply if you run a simulation of the animation,.

If the hair/fur is short enough, collisions with clothing shouldn't apply,.

collisions are only calculated during a simulation.

The dynamic hair in carrara has issues calculating correct collisions with the figure, or clothing.

There are some useful workaround tutorials and Proxy models (from PhilW) which can be used if you really want long dynamic hair interacting with an animated figure/clothing

If you're.not running a dynamic sim,. ..then it won't be an issue.

• Excellent.  Thanks for clarifying.