How To Solve a Carrara Lockup

InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
edited July 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Since I bought Carrara, there's one thing I've learned I can never do: reveal the Objects panel and let my mouse stray into it. The objects come up with no thumbnail images--maybe that's a clue--and if my mouse goes anywhere near them, I get the spinning blue ring of death forever.

Today I encountered a problem I needed to go into the Model room to fix, and because the object I need to work on is a part of a model, not a separate Instance, I don't think I have any choice but to select it via the Objects panel, which of course I cannot do.

Does this sound familiar, the problem of Carrara locking up when you try to use the Objects panel? If so, is there any known way to fix it?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Model Room's Objects Panel.PNG
252 x 211 - 8K
Post edited by Inkubo on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I'm not sure why this occurs. It needs to (it seems) load each object into memory in order to reveal their thumbnail, which it wants to do. This is the same with the Shaders tab.

One thing I've found that can help to unstick it's prolonged 'thinking' mode is to open my renders folder and open an image (outside of Carrara) using Windows Image Viewer, or I use IrfanView. For some crazy reason, asking Windows to divert focus from Carrara for a short bit seems to give it a little kick - unless, of course, it's all in my head!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

My 8 core cpu/16GB RAM Windows 7 64 bit machine seems to have a lot less issues with this sort of thing. I've heard that Windows 10 doesn't really even require anti-virus software (third party) anymore, which may have a lot to do with some of this - as Windows, itself, is constantly analyzing for threats? Not sure.

I did have a period of time when I was going bonkers with Windows 10. It just seems to do what "it" wants to do, ignoring what I want to do. I spent quite a lot of time setting my anti-virus software to ignore Carrara and a lot of the stuff I know to be software that I can run without AV kicking in. It seemed to help a lot of issues. 

I kinda do like Windows 10 now, but still tend to prefer running Carrara on my 7 machine. I'll never use Cortana, I'll never shop at the Windows XBox store, yet Win 10 won't let me live without these things. I just feel like I have more control over what's running in Windows 7. I'm not much of a computer geek, so I could be very wrong here.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited July 2017

it depends how much is in your objects folder, I make lots of subfolders as if any are too big they take forever to load.

I create the subfolders in explorer then refresh if in carrara still

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    edited July 2017

The particular Objects tab I'm having trouble with is the one in the Model room, which I think is only showing me the objects that are part of the mesh I'm working on, not files on my disk.

I'm going to go back and reread the section of the manual where it discusses how to edit things in the Model room, because maybe I can do it without ever needing to touch the Object pane at all. As I began typing this it occurred to me that maybe my mindset is wrong, and unlike in Blender, you don't have to select the object you're going to edit before you begin editing its mesh.

Post edited by Inkubo on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The object thumbnails are not generated until you open the objects panel. If you have a lot of them, it could take a (long) while. They don't get saved with the project either, so next ime you load the project, you'd have to do it all over again.

Actually, no reason ever to go in there, unless you're desperately looking for a reason to go read the internet for half an hour. There's no requirement to select them or do anything with them to edit the mesh. It is a place where you can rename them if you think that "Vertex Object 1138" is a bit vague (the object names will show up in shader lists for example)