Help with some RawArt models in Carrara

I've read that Carrara has some problems with geografting - and not sure if that's related to some of these problems - but there are a few RawArt models I'd like to use in Carrara 8.5 Pro if possible.

For Triclops and Cyclops - I can't seem to find the textures.

For Octogenesis, can't get the morphs or grafts to apply.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I don't have those products 

but

for RawArt's textures they should be in the texture folder if his other products are a guide.. try the following location

Daz3D Library/Runtime/Textures/RawArt/ItemName/whatever.jpg

• Thanks - that will solve the texturing problem - and I think I'd gotten octogenesis loaded into carrara at one point -must be a file in a different directory that i missed this time . . .

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited July 2017

OctoGenesis loaded okay for me.

OctoGenesis.png
    1918 x 1044 - 470K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Ok - found the correct octogenesis files to use and those loaded fine.

For RAW Art's cylops and triclops - does anyone know if there's an automatic way to apply the textures within Carrara as there is in DAZ Studio?  (gets' tedious to go through texture files and apply all the textures, bumps, alphas for each domain).

If there's not a direct way in carrara, any suggestions on best way to save from DAZ Studio to bring into Carrara?  (I'll be applying to a Genesis Character, V4 UV set, with female set to 0 and male to 1 for male appearing character with FaceGen face (hence the need to use V4 UV's)

Thanks

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

The list of shadable items on a character includes vertex groups like Torso, Nipples, Waist, etc. Often some of these groups share the same shader. For example, Shoulders typically have the same shader as Arms, Nipples as Torso, etc.

Once you get one of the vertex groups set up correctly, you can drag the little ball that represents the shader to another vertex group to copy those settings. Frequently Carrara will misinterpret this as an attempt to scroll the list, but try again and soon the drag will happen.

In the end, you usually only have to go through the hassle of configuring six or so shaders on a character; then you can drag the properly set-up shaders to the other vertex groups that will use them; and when you're finished you can drag from the multicolored sphere at the top to your "My Shaders" area of the browser and save it with the character's name. After that, setting up future instances of the character becomes a piece of cake.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

does anyone know if there's an automatic way to apply the textures within Carrara as there is in DAZ Studio?  (gets' tedious to go through texture files and apply all the textures, bumps, alphas for each domain).

The only possible way for that would be if someone made a Carrara-specific shader setup for it.

To help remove the tedium:

Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders (reduces the number of times we need to make edits)

Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Remove Unused Shaders (gets unused shaders out of the list, so we don't accidentally waste our time on them)

Now it's just a matter of adding "_S" maps to the Highlight channel, "_B" to Bump, and whatever to the Alpha. Should be pretty fast and easy. I do this to large sets with lots and lots of individual shaders all the time, so maybe I'm just used to it.

For Petipet's and Ravenhart's newer models, with PBR-style maps, I've even gone to making mmy first setup:

• Color = Color Map
    • Alpha = None
    • Highlight = Spec Map
    • Shininess = Metal Map x 35
    • Bump = Normal Map @ 100 intensity
    • Glow = Illum map
    • Everything else = None

Then I go to the top shader and copy it, so that everthing is set up, and all I have to change (after pasting) is the actual texture maps, which are in the same (often) folder anyway, so it goes very quickly!

• Ok = thanks for suggestions; just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing a one click solution.  (And I will start using the main , multicolored sphere and dragging it into MyContent so as to make this a one time process.  Have done that sporadically in the past - but easy to forget those time saving steps when long periods of time elapse between using 3d programs.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the scary part about making carrara shader packs for textures in the DS runtime/textures folders is the dreaded 'not found' dialog, and having to manually hunt down the textures anyhows.