Problems with access pose files for Genesis

I have a bunch of pose files in my content browser, which were made for Genesis, but which don't do anything if I just drag the pose icon over genesis in C8.5 viewport or scene hierarchy.

I've tracked some of the files down in DAZ Studio, where clicking applies the pose without any problem.

And if I use file import from Carrara and navigate to the directory where the poses are stored, I see all of the .duf versions (rather than .pz2) and importing applies the pose without a problem.

It's obviously pretty cumbersome to have to track down each pose file in studio and import the pose rather than just applying via the Carrara browser - any suggestions on how to approach this?

First I thought I'd need something to change all of the pose files into .dufs (didn't know if Cridgit's posemaster script or DAZ's Poser Format Exporter would let you do that, or if DAZ Studio 4.9 has some other automated way) - but looking at the folders for a couple of poses that I tested, I see that there already are .duf files - Carrara just isn't accessing them through its browser.  I've included a couple of screen pics showing the images for the poses at the bottom in the browser - but clicking or dragging those onto Genesis doesn't do anything.  Only when I use File>Import> and navigate to the .duf pose do I get results.

Thanks  

CarGenV5PosesAngel.JPG
1323 x 854 - 127K
CarGenFerFey.JPG
1658 x 818 - 168K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

if they have Poser DSON companion file pz2 poses as much genesis stuff does, those work.

• What about for the folders / files I mentioned, which have both .duf and .pz2 files?  Shouldn't Carrara automatically be grabbing the .duf files?  Is there something I can do to fix entire folders/directories like that?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

What about for the folders / files I mentioned, which have both .duf and .pz2 files?  Shouldn't Carrara automatically be grabbing the .duf files?  Is there something I can do to fix entire folders/directories like that?

Poser files should show up in the "Runtime" directories, whereas the duf versions should show up in the "Content" directories.

Example:

My Daz3d Library is a "Content" directory

My Daz3d Library Runtime is a "Runtime" directory

To apply a duf pose to a Genesis figure, I select the line just above Actor on the figure, and double-click the file from the browser. Works for me. But I haven't tried doing much of that - nor do I have a LOT of pose files for the Genesis figures. They take a  l o n g  time to load, so I usually just pose them myself instead.

• Thanks for clarifying difference between Content and Runtime Directories - content management is probably my biggest time suck and frustration with Carrara, because I often spend a lot of time searching for working files or trying to figure out how things are organized.

Just realized that if you select a pose (or figure, prop etc) from the Content Window, and then hit Get Info at dropdown on top right of that panel, Carrara will show you the exact path to the file.  So wouldn't be hard to create a spreadsheet of products / poses one would like to have quick access to, and have those file paths ready at hand for quick access through file>import

Unfortunately, you can't simply paste in the path when trying to load a file into Carrara.  Instead, you have to click file>import and then navigate to the proper directory and file.  Not a big deal if you have the path sitting in front of you, but still turns that into a twenty second process instead of a simple copy, paste, and click.  Do you know if there's any script that would or could allow for a simple cut and paste path for importing files?  Don't know if that would be a simple thing for someone like Fenric or someone else with a programming background to create if there was an interest.