Content Installation with DAZ3DIM for DAZStudio, and linked to Poser Pro 2012?

Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I got a new computer recently and am trying to set it up in the best way possible for cross-platform/cross-application 3D rendering using DAZ Studio 4.5 and Poser Pro 2012. (I have Octane Render for Poser which must run in Windows, and Reality 2 / LuxRender on the Mac.)

This computer is running with the following configuration:

- Mac OS X 10.8.2 and Windows 7 64-bit
- DAZStudio 4.5 Pro and Poser Pro 2012
- 3 TB Fusion Drive (with 128 GB Flash memory for the mac operating system)
- 2.5 TB HFS+ partition and 500 GB NTFS partition
- Paragon HFS+ for Windows and Paragon NTFS for Mac
- Boot Camp for switching between OSes

So far I have used DAZ 3D Install Manager 1.0.0.112 to install 1882 items onto the Mac partition.

It looks like it has installed content into:
/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/
/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/data/
/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/People/
/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/

To avoid installing redundant files for Poser Pro 2012 that appear to be installed in DAZ Studio's Shared folder already, should I simply link /Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/ as an external library in Poser Pro 2012? Is this recommended / safe?

Admittedly, I'm unsure which files are Poser compatible or DAZ Studio-only, and have not attempted to use Genesis products in Poser Pro 2012 yet; I'm just now getting DSON for Poser installed and set up.

The Install Manager has been a real time saver for installation and product updates, and I would love to continue using that system instead of manual installation with BitRock installers for Poser Pro 2012's Runtime directory.

What is PoserCF? What is StudioCF? I see there is a checkbox for Smart content — is "Smart" content only compatible with DAZ Studio? And is this related to metadata? Does Poser use the metadata with the DSON importer?

Thanks for any insight,
~Kaleb

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933
    edited December 1969

It would be /Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library that you linked to Poser, but yes that would be safe and recommended.

A PoserCF installer ads the files needed to access Genesis and other TriAx content in Poser - essentially a copy of the user-facing .duf file, a .py file to load it, and a Poser library file to run the .py file and possibly to apply materials. A Studio CF, not that i recall seeing that as a label, would be a DS file in a Poser library that Studio will load instead of the Poser file - useful for keeping all materials in one place, for example.

Yes, Smart Content is DS only..

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply, Richard. That helps clarify things quite a bit.

Regarding StudioCF, I am seeing this frequently in the "Installed" tab of DAZ 3D Install Manager.
    If you click the installed tab, type "StudioCF" into the filter, and press ENTER, you'll probably see a bunch too...

I have around 166 StudioCF files that are showing up:
    357 Magnum Revolver StudioCF
    Aiko 4 Base StudioCF
    Ami for A4 StudioCF
    Amiel Hair StudioCF
    Angel for V4 StudioCF
    Angie-Lee StudioCF
    Anime 102 Get Real StudioCF
    Anime 102 StudioCF
    Asesina for V4/A4 StudioCF
    Astrid Stephanie 4 StudioCF

One pattern I noticed is that the "StudioCF" files appear to be for pre-genesis products based on the 3rd and 4th generation Millenium figures, as well as legacy props, and less than a dozen of my 166 "StudioCF" products appear to be labeled as Smart content:

- Domino for V4 StudioCF
    - Lisa's Botanicals - Indian Grass StudioCF
    - Modern Muses Tamesis StudioCF
    - Otherworldly Wonders Tamesis StudioCF
    - Tamesis Bundle StudioCF
    - Victoria Skin Maps High Res StudioCF
    - Victoria 4 Wet Maps StudioCF
    - Wet Hair StudioCF

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933
    edited December 1969

Most of those will be materials, maybe things like Puppeteer presets for the base figures.