Is it possible to have Carrara play sound files when a collision is detected in a physics animation?

cryan_1832017cryan_1832017 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

(New Carrara user here).

Is it possible for Carrara to add a sound file to the soundtrack when a collision is detected? I'm working on a physics-based animation with multiple objects, and don't want to have to manually synchronize audio with the animation.

Or is there a better strategy available?

Many thanks!

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Multiple meaning dozens/hundreds? Or multiple meaning under 10?

If it's just a handful, the sequencer might be the easiest route, just lining up the audio clips with the impacts. (see pic). If you RIGHT+CLICK on the audio channel box (the label at the left of the track) you get the option to "sticky the track". That keeps it on the screen at the bottom of the sequencer when you scroll up higher...

wendy♥catz was working on a similar (but opposite) ability using the PyCarrara python plugin... She wanted events to synch to audio, but there might have been useful discussion there. I couldn't find the thread, but I assume it is several pages back in the Carrara forum, or maybe PM her...

Screen_Shot_2013-03-15_at_3.01_.46_PM_.png
    723 x 444 - 49K
    Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • cryan_1832017cryan_1832017 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

For this project, it's seven objects that collide multiple times, so it would be several dozen collisions -- but if there is a technique that can handle hundreds of collisions, it would be fantastic. I'm hoping for some precision in synchronizing the impacts with audio, so I'm hoping to avoid manually sequencing the audio. Thanks again.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

It may be easier (easier being a relative term ;-) ) to have sound drive actions than actions drive sound, though I suppose it is theoretically possible. The thing a lot of new users forget when they see Carrara has audio capabilities is that Carrara is a 3D software suite, not a video or audio editing suite. The only reason Carrara has any audio capabilities is to help sync 3D actions to sounds. I can not ever imagine a pro, semi-pro or serious hobbyist relying on the sound output from Carrara for a final video edit.

If you have a video editor that can handle multiple layers of audio it would probably be faster and more efficient to just sync your sound f/x in your video editor.

• cryan_1832017cryan_1832017 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll have to do the audio syncing manually. I would not expect Carrara to be a full audio editor. But it would be great to animate a scene with lots of objects colliding and have an audio track with synchronized crash sounds that could be layered with other audio in another program for final rendering. Maybe a feature for Carrara 9? (hint, hint...)