Object moves Oddly

IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I may have asked this before, but can't find it in the forum search.

When I have a selected object in Bryce 7, often I can just drag it where I want, but sometimes not. Then the arrows work, x-z axes. But sometimes, in the x,y,z directions of rotation, the object will seem to rotate around an unseen hub, and not go where I want. I know when I use a cube to reshape it before moving it, because after moving the cube skews when lengthened.

So, my questions are: is there a way to restore a simple rotation? Is there a way to drag something that won't drag?
Is this difference due to the type of object mesh? For example I loaded a 3dmax item today, which Bryce opened, but when I rotate in any direction, it is in a wide arc.

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Ice Scribe; hello; I think you need to make sure the directors chair is selected as shown here also make sure your object is lined up square on the floor pane then re-group that way when you enlarge it it remains intact....If you import objects sometimes they have to be grouped again before you can move them.....hope this helps

dc.png
    130 x 183 - 34K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited March 2013

Look at the bounding box of the max object, it likely as not is a lot larger than the object. Maybe a stray polygon or a null object that is invisible.
    I sometimes have trouble dragging an object, normally after changing viewing modes open gl etc, I find that if I hover over the object, take my time it works better for some reason but that might just be me n' my old pc :) I know that grabbing the mesh rather than the space in and around it works better for me.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,175
    edited December 1969

Select the object and open the [A]ttributes. Tick Show Origin Handle. A small green dot shows the handle. The object will move and rotate according to where the handle is. Usually, you would want it in the centre of the object.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

For objects which distort when re-sizing after placement there is the "remove shear" option. See screen shot.

Cheers
    GG

s_shot-2.jpg
    690 x 445 - 165K
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited March 2013

Hi Ice,

You have two problems here, both easily solved. Several peeps above have targeted solutions - well worth reading - but they haven't addressed the cause.

Let's tackle object shearing first.

I'd like you to get the Edit palette up. The main tools have little reveal triangles under them. Click on either the Resize, Rotate or Reposition triangles to see what space you're operating in. It's likely to be World Space.

World Space is an absolute coordinate system. Your entire scene is within an invisible, 'infinite' 3D cage, and every point in that cage can be addressed with an x,y,z coordinate.

If you want to manipulate objects without distorting their form, switch to Object Space. This is a relative coordinate system, where world center is now the center of your object's center... wherever that might be... and the X,Y,Z axes are now rotated to the object's radiating grid system: still rectilinear, but centered and oriented to the object. Each object operates in its own World Space, if you like.

Do not try to grab an object by a black dot handle and expect to move it some where else in the scene: that's not what they're for. They're for resizing only. Do not grab a black dot handle of a rotated object in World Space and expect it to assume you want to keep the object's own 'sense' if its shape.

You can switch between World and Object Space as you require. You can even use Camera Space... but I suggest you get used to the World/Object space switching first.

Now, "rotating about an invisible hub". There may be two causes for this.

In Director view you have several rotation options: Trackball, Center to Selection, Tripod and Free Camera. Switch to Director view and you'll see the options for how your rotational actions will be treated, by clicking the reveal triangle next to the rotator ball tool. Arguably the most useful option is Center to Selection: This orbits the director around the item you've selected while keeping the Director camera's orientation. So If you select something at the top-right of your scene in Director view and orbit the view, that object stays in the top-right of your doc window. (It's worth noting that Center to Selection is unaffected by the object's origin handle: Bryce just assesses the object's absolute coordinates for CtS, not the origin handle.)

In Camera view you only have one option: Free Camera. Again, select Camera view, look at the greyed out options and weep. So try not to confuse the two views.

An off-centered object handle WILL affect your rotation of that object as Horo suggests. When rotating an object, Bryce rotates it about the origin handle. It could be that you moved the origin handle to some location outside of the object you're moving. This is hard to do accidentally: even shearing an object (caused by rotation and resizing in World Space) doesn't move the origin handle outside of itself.

'Edit Attributes' on the object causing you grief and check that the 3 origin co-ords are exactly the same as the position co-ords. If not, click the red padlock icon on the right of the values and bring the origin to the position, or vice versa.

BE WARNED: Changing either of these values independent of each other may reposition the object!

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

All the suggestions are appreciated. Just want to let all of you know I'm trying all of the suggestions.

In this case I am using "sock" from "PileofClothes" by mostdigitalcreations/Adam Twaites. It is listed separately from the other items, so I imported into DAZ, then sent to Bryce. That works ;-) It appears to be a single mesh, in the Bryce list, not a group.

It was extremely difficult to find the origin handle looking for the green square-I had clicked on the 'show origin handle'. Had to enlarge the object until I could see the green square. I found I could drag the square around, but it did not seem to influence the rotation.

This object can be moved by dragging and without shearing. It's weirdness is in the rotation.

attached are the screen shot of the object in wire mode and a quick render of the object.

BryceRotateSox.jpg
    800 x 516 - 30K
    BryceRotationObj.jpg
    800 x 448 - 46K
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited March 2013

Yep, that looks about right - Any rotation of an object will be centered on the origin.

Tips: You can't change the origin handle color, but you can change the background color. On the extreme right of the interface, find the 'Background Paper' tool and change it to Black. The Origin should stand out pretty well then.

To move the Origin handle quickly to roughly the center of the sock, try this:

1. On your main alphanumeric keyboard (not the number pad) hit the number 2. This switches your view to orthographic overhead: you're looking down on your scene. If you're too close to the object use cntl/cmd - to zoom out, cntl/cmd + to zoom in.

2. Locate the origin handle. Click on it and drag it to the position you regard as 'center' for the sock.

3. On your main alphanumeric keyboard (not the number pad) hit the number 3. Now you're in right orthographic view. Reposition the origin again.

4. On your main alphanumeric keyboard (not the number pad) hit the number 4. Now you're in front on orthographic view. Reposition the origin again.

Now you have an origin that is centered for your object.

Hit the ` key (left of '1' on the alphanumeric keyboard) to return to Director view.

Post edited by Oroboros on