There's some plugin for this?

1.-  Importer for .mesh files and .dss textures with bones. (The format from Xnalara) 

2.-A HDRI background generator. (I mean, a plugin that uses the skies, terrains, trees and water, or even buildings in carrara or runtime to generate random backgrounds for your scenes) 

3.- Surface replicator with different textures or poses? 

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2017

there are some hdri packs in store, like yosemite  https://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-one

surface replicator has randomizing for scale and rotation.

https://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-two

could try gel lights for coloring effects.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 246

Well, i actually use ANSEL and some games for create HDRI maps, but i was wondering for this feature. :D 

The HDRI packs are very cool at very low price, i think i will pick them :D Thank you! 

Mistara said:

there are some hdri packs in store, like yosemite  https://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-one

surface replicator has randomizing for scale and rotation.

https://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-two

could try gel lights for coloring effects.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Any scene can be rendered with a spherical camera in Carrara at a 2:1 ratio, and that used as a background / dome image (I often do that for the "view out of the window"). If you want to make it HDR, you need at least 5 bracketed exposures, and then combine them with an hdri app or appropriate photoshop plugin. It can certainly be done, but it's likely to be a slow job especially if you're rendering at 8000 x 4000.

(BTW, it's also possible in DS with Iray, since that too has a spherical camera)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Try this,.

in  a new empty scene,. add a plane and a simple object (or  figure)

Delete the default "distant light" in the scene. (Light 1)

if you render now,. it should be black,. or very dark.

Go to the Scene / Background,.. and choose MAP,. then load up a nice landscape image, ...or any jpeg photo (in my example I'm using a simple photo,. tiled to fit better in the frame) you can alos use 360 images,

In the Render settings / Global illumination,... enable "Sky Light"

if you render now,. Carrara will use the colour information from the Background image to light the scene.

image light.jpg
    1494 x 664 - 227K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I just posted a new thread about making your own HDRIs:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/189166/make-your-own-hdris

PhilW said:

Thank you very much! Very helpful!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2017

Also, just an FYI: Luxus for Carrara can render to .exr files, which can easily be converted to HDR, I believe.

I imagine it could certainly take a long time to render a full blown .exr 8,000 x 4,000 (or larger) spherical map, but the possibility is there!

...and in some cases one might not even need them to be that large. Say, if we "Want" them to be a bit blurry - say, for DoF

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    PhilW said:

I have a question:

I use Octane Render which uses any jpeg image as HDRI. But, if i use a true HDRI, makes any difference? 

Yes. Jpegs might be possible as a surrounding dome or texture, but HDRI can go brighter than white internally, allowing them to actually cast directional lighting information - to put it kinda simply. 

Image formats like jpg, tiff, png, bmp, etc., can go up to 255, which is pure white. So if an image gets over-exposed, anything above 255 gets lost into just pure white. Anything reaching 255 becomes white. With floating point image formats, like hdr and exr, for example, we can still retain the original information of over-exposed shots and bring it back into a more viewable range in post editing. But surprise surprise, there's a side-effect... wow, we can use those brighter than 255 pixels as a light source! Cool!

Something like that ;)

Carrara's (and others) global illumination will still use the information on a background image or other input, like color, fomula or bi-gradient as illumination coloring, and indirect lighting may also pick up that color information as well. So we may actually illuminate a scene without any lights - just a background image.

However, HDRI used in the same manner can actually cast directional lighting, as if we placed a light where the brightest spot in the image is - if the HDR has such a bright spot. It's kinda hard to explain, because both can be used for lighting. 

Oh... right. I was going to add that, like I said earlier, Luxor for Carrara has the ability to render to .exr, which is a floating point format, so I think it can be used to render out lighting information as done in a true hdr. I haven't tried it yet though.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

EXR and HDR are just different formats,... same thing,.,. they're both 32bit images

In photoshop,(probably other image editors) you can open the EXR and save as HDR (Radiance format)

Octane uses HDR or EXR

Carrara currently only supports HDR

Jpg's don't have the same level of colour/light information as an HDR , and although some programs can use jpeg, bmp,or png's to light the scene,. they're never as good as a true HDRI

If you have Octane you can create a spherical camera and render out your own 32bit EXR

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

there is quite likely a Blender python for mesh files going via that route then export to Carrara is probably the best option

Also, just an FYI: Luxus for Carrara can render to .exr files, which can easily be converted to HDR, I believe.

I imagine it could certainly take a long time to render a full blown .exr 8,000 x 4,000 (or larger) spherical map, but the possibility is there!

...and in some cases one might not even need them to be that large. Say, if we "Want" them to be a bit blurry - say, for DoF

Wow, i should pick it in the last offer :( 

Thank you for your answers guys, very helpful. 

Oh... right. I was going to add that, like I said earlier, Luxor for Carrara has the ability to render to .exr, which is a floating point format, so I think it can be used to render out lighting information as done in a true hdr. I haven't tried it yet though.