Hexagon 2.5.1.79 & OpenGL1.4- Crashing like crazy.

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

When I upgraded my ATI Radeon 5570 it apparently installed OpenGL1.4, which is NOT compatible with Hexagon. I downgraded the driver to no avail. There is NO way in the world I'm going to reinstall Windows 7 & lose all I have on my harddrive. Is there a way to downgrade back to OpenGL 1.3 or trick Hex into working in OpenGL 1.3 mode?
I tried resetting everything in Hex to default & even changed the OpenGL optimization in Hex 2.5.1.79 but it still crashes within 10 seconds of selecting polys, vertices, etc.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lynn

ScreenShot021.jpg
416 x 184 - 12K

Comments

• RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hexagon should work even without openGL 1.4. I have an old Dell pc which doesn't support OGL 1.4 and hex works but it doesn't display any 3d shading just flat shading. It may have other limitations with UV mapping and bump maps but it does work with basic modeling. I don't think downgrading your driver would help because Hexagon is actually looking for OpenGL 1.4 or higher.

• edited December 1969

Not sure what else it could be though. It was working just fine before the update of the driver. Now it does very little without crashing.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

After my nVidea card burned out I had to rely on the onboard graphics, which apparently had OGL 1.3 - Hex kept giving me that OGL 1.4 not supported message. Never crashed though, excepting when using symmetry, although it lagged heavily when the poly count got too high. Problem solved when I managed to get hold of a newer card.

There was a long discussion on another thread about this and I contacted the manufacturer of my motherboard - turns out that OGL is hard-wired into the graphics and there is nothing to be done to upgrade it - it is apparently not in the driver .

Maybe the experts can give other advice - I could never find out just which OGL Hex does enjoy.

• edited June 2012

I uninstalled & reinstalled Hex. This time there's no OpenGL 1.4 error. I did notice that symmetry was on, which it shouldn't have been so I was hoping that was the problem all along. It is a very complex model. It's certainly not my computer. I built it myself less than 6 months old. Uninstalling & reinstalling Hex didn't fix the crashing problem though.
    Very frustrating.
    Edited to update: Could Hex have corrupted the files when it saved it? I took it into Carrara 7 Pro, deleted the polys that were causing the crash, exported it to an object again, deleted the old .hex file, saved it as a new hex file & now it seems to be working. It took me a really long time to get this model done & it pained me to do that, but I don't think I had much of a choice.

Post edited by 3dfineries_1a01119cef on
  • edited June 2012

Well, no, that's not it either. Still crashing. >:-(
    Attached Carrara render. There are a lot of polys. I could use C7Pro, but I find it too clunky. I WANT MY HEXAGON TO WORK......

uraues.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
    Post edited by 3dfineries_1a01119cef on
  • edited December 1969

JUST SLAP ME NOW, PLEASE!
    I'm a total & complete dumba@@. Seems like I was running into the dreaded 5 or more ngon error as discussed in this thread.
    I can't believe I didn't see that in the first place. Must be all the blond hair dye seeping into my brain. ROFL

edited December 1969

Glad you got it right - just out of curiosity, did you do the DS solution ?

• edited December 1969

Yep, Roygee. Tried it & it didn't work for me. I ended up using Carrara to delete the faces that were causing problems & then imported back into Hex. :red: All's well now.

edited December 1969

Interesting...so Studio is not a "cure-all" after all

• edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Interesting...so Studio is not a "cure-all" after all

Nope. It may have been the complexity of the model or the amount of ngons. Not sure, but it was exactly the same object for me.