Grrr... Documentation

OK, this may not be the right place for this, but I've got to vent about the attrocious way DAZ handles documentation. 

I just purchased Pose Blender (yippee!!). Now, allegedly the file comes with a PDF file to help you learn how to use the script, which is awesome. Of course, this only works when you can find it!

I just ran a search in my ReadMe's folder (just a guess) for "poseblender," but nope (it's pose-blender). I then ran a sku search (just hoping), but that after a few minutes of searching I just got annoyed.

Most of the time I just end up downloading the software manually a second time (after I installed it using DAZ Install Manager) just so I can locate the documentation. 

I should not need to spend more time searching for documentation than I do reading the documentation once I've found it. I just don't understand why DAZ has made this process so ridicuclously complicated. Why can't they just provide a simple txt file with all of the file locations (like they do at Renderosity) or just provide links to the documentation on the product page in your Product Library. 

Jason

PS. I did finally find it when I did a Date modified search. Again, this process shouldn't be this complicated. What if I needed to find it again in a month?

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,959

I tend to spark up DIM, pick the installed package and do a file list to see where it put stuff (or, indeed, even if there IS documentation).

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Agreed. There should be a much easier one-click way of activating a product's instructions. The way we presently have seems like an afterthought left over from the early days.

• Agreed. There should be a much easier one-click way of activating a product's instructions. The way we presently have seems like an afterthought left over from the early days.

Clicking the circled i (standard Information symbol) in DIM is one click, right-clicking on a product in Smart Content and selecting More Information is two clicks (while clicking the thumbnail from inside a product is one click). If the vendor sets it up correctly the latter is available even for non-Daz products.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,602

Also is DIM make sure you have General checked off in your downloads tab

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Absolute CRAZY suggestion here... have the PDF's downloadable separately? :)

• RKane_1 said:

Absolute CRAZY suggestion here... have the PDF's downloadable separately? :)

*points to the documentation center* If they have something separate from the readme, it's usually linked there.

• Hem.. I'm wonder.. why you're not searching your filesystem with this keyword ?: *.pdf

It's more easier than expected no (or I didn't understand what you try to achieve) ?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,083

OK, this may not be the right place for this, but I've got to vent about the attrocious way DAZ handles documentation. 

I just purchased Pose Blender (yippee!!). Now, allegedly the file comes with a PDF file to help you learn how to use the script, which is awesome. Of course, this only works when you can find it!

I just ran a search in my ReadMe's folder (just a guess) for "poseblender," but nope (it's pose-blender). I then ran a sku search (just hoping), but that after a few minutes of searching I just got annoyed.

Most of the time I just end up downloading the software manually a second time (after I installed it using DAZ Install Manager) just so I can locate the documentation. 

I should not need to spend more time searching for documentation than I do reading the documentation once I've found it. I just don't understand why DAZ has made this process so ridicuclously complicated. Why can't they just provide a simple txt file with all of the file locations (like they do at Renderosity) or just provide links to the documentation on the product page in your Product Library. 

Jason

PS. I did finally find it when I did a Date modified search. Again, this process shouldn't be this complicated. What if I needed to find it again in a month?

After installing with DIM go to the "Installed" tab, find the product (changing sort order helps here), right-click on the product, and select "Show installed files". Then click on the pdf link to open the parent folder in explorer (windows). See attached.

dim-installed-list.jpg
    722 x 528 - 56K