Photorealism

One of the things that attracted me to 3D animation originally was the idea of making realistic videos without needing real anything - people, props, etc.  I don't know how these folks do it, but its pretty amazing.  If you live close, you may want to visit the Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill, New York.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/arts/from-lens-to-eye-to-hand/index.html

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

The theory of why it's got such staying power (amongst art fashions) is interesting. A couple of cool images in the collection too.

thanks for the link,

--ms

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    mindsong said:

thanks for the link,

--ms

You're welcome.  Just to mention it, a related topic is "Trump L'oeil", "visual illusion in art, especially as used to trick the eye into perceiving a painted detail as a three-dimensional object."  I bought the print below at the Houston "Bayou Art Festival" some years ago, and recall the artist saying he had to wipe off the finger prints on the glass a lot, especially around the "masking tape":

https://orig01.deviantart.net/789d/f/2008/116/9/0/90f300a1e7ee23c8becfd04f219e429f.jpg

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

OT - Wishing you well in east Texas, Steve K. 

RE: hurricane, rains, and tornadoes.  Hearing forecasts of as much as 40 inches of rain in some areas. Stay safe and be prudent.  If you have to hunker down for a few days and still have power, make some animations for us.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Steve K said:
    mindsong said:

thanks for the link,

--ms

You're welcome.  Just to mention it, a related topic is "Trompe-l'œil", "visual illusion in art, especially as used to trick the eye into perceiving a painted detail as a three-dimensional object." 

fixed the typo

Diomede said:

OT - Wishing you well in east Texas, Steve K. 

RE: hurricane, rains, and tornadoes.  Hearing forecasts of as much as 40 inches of rain in some areas. Stay safe and be prudent.  If you have to hunker down for a few days and still have power, make some animations for us.

Thanks, we're doing okay here in our suburb of Houston.  The drainage is keeping up, with help from gaps between the rain bands.  That's not the case in many, many other areas.  I am working on some animations for the Renderosity contests, but I got nervous about reports of water in homes in nearby areas.  So I put all the electronics up on tables/chairs, including my main animation computer which I had to disconnect.  Man, there was a rat's nest of wires back there - mouse & keyboard, speakers, monitor, power cables, modem/router with lots of ethernet cables, external drives, Xbox and associated video capture device, optical audio converter, a couple I don't recognize anymore ... 

Chohole said:
    Steve K said:
    mindsong said:

You're welcome.  Just to mention it, a related topic is "Trompe-l'œil", "visual illusion in art, especially as used to trick the eye into perceiving a painted detail as a three-dimensional object." 

fixed the typo

Thanks.  I've been reading too many political news stories, apparently.