Obj as object to drape

Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I have a bed with a figure on it. I am using a flat primitive as the draping cloth. I know I am doing it correctly because I can create a drape over a prop from either the daz or poser runtime libraries in poser 9. I cannot create this drape if the object that will be under the drape is an obj. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

Comments

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

batesyboy said:
    I have a bed with a figure on it. I am using a flat primitive as the draping cloth. I know I am doing it correctly because I can create a drape over a prop from either the daz or poser runtime libraries in poser 9. I cannot create this drape if the object that will be under the drape is an obj. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

I've put in some time in the Poser Cloth Room (and as you can probably guess, quite a bit of it has been, shall we say, painful); maybe I can help.

First off, everything in a scene is an OBJ; and I mean everything. Those are the objects' geometry files, that contain all the vertices, edges, and faces that define those objects in 3-D space. So if your drape is failing, then there has to be another reason for it.

What primitive, exactly, are you using? I've found that the Square Ri-Res is the best object for something like this, because of the 'Hi-Res' part; the more vertices, the better. (And the longer the simulation takes to run, but hey - everything's a trade-off, right?)

Also, you need to make sure collisions are enabled for every part of your figure: head, neck, right and left collars, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (with apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein). For every body part on your figure - at least, the parts your drape is going to be colliding against, on the Properties tab, make sure 'Collision detection' is checked. Tedious as all get-out, I know, but..., it's gotta be done. (This setting is turned off by default - God knows why, it ought to be a no-brainer!)

Also, double-check your collision settings: what objects is your drape set to collide against, what elements (faces, vertices) are included in the calculations. And make sure you have Collisions turned on in the scene (that right-pointing arrow at the top of the Document window: last item in the pop-up menu, 'Collisions' - select 'Collisions On'. I can't tell you how many times I've been shtupped by that little omission!)

Oh, and don't forget to include the GROUND object in your 'Collide Against' list; that way, if your drape slides off the bed (satin sheets are notorious for that kind of misbehavior - and yes, I speak from real-world experience!), the drape will 'puddle' on the ground, and not fall down to the center of the earth or the bowels of Hell (depending on whether you lean more toward Jules Verne or Dante Alighieri).

Hopefully something in this long-winded response will help. Let us know how it works out for you.

KO

• Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply. I did get it to work but didn't know about ground, so in the future I would have had an issue. I appreciate all the details. I have saved this for my referenece file.