Is there a way to load uv maps onto an object?

This is just a point of curiosity.  I saw in other older threads that there is a way to export UV maps (for those who are curious, it's in the modeling room, in uv mode, under the Display tab there's a clickable box to export uvs there).  It follows logically that if there's a way to save and export UV maps made in Carrara there would be a way to load those same maps on another object wth the same number of polys, right?  Or am I misunderstanding this?

As per an entirely different thread, I've got a method of fixing the geograft problem for at least Genesis1 by simply creating a whole new figure that includes the geografted parts.  So I can end up with a single Genesis1 that can do anything, but has changed so that the genitals (in my study I was using the V5 genitals) are not geografted but actually part of the whole, but it suddenly struck me that I might not be able to switch from V5 to M5 or M6 or V6 or V4/M4 UVs with this new character, since essentially the topography is now different.  As it turns out, Carrara still lets me load the various different UVs to the Genesis, it just leaves the UVs on the added genitals alone, so it's not a problem, but it still got me wondering if there must be some way to load new UV maps that we might have created and exported onto a figure in Carrara.

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i remember using uvmapper classic to swap uvs between M4 and V4.

exported a .uvs file from V4 obj.  then loaded up M4 obj and imported uvs file. saved new .obj.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2017

The ability to export UV maps in Carrara doesn't really export the map-to-vertex relationship, it basically just prints a template for you, and as such is not something that would be "loadable." You can create a new UV map for a model though.

If the vertex order and number of points/edges is the same then you could just load the new UV to the object in DAZ Studio by following the instructions here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/multiuvs/muv_adding. I don't know how/if the multiple UV maps are visible within Carrara though. In DS there's a drop-down you can use to select between them.

If the vertex order is different or has been changed then I don't know an easy way. In Blender there's an annoyingly complex way of projecting a UV map from one item to another but I'd have to find my notes on this - I never actually did it, just wrote down the technique in case I ever needed it. I think I remember seeing something about an add-on that let you copy and paste UVs too but I'm not sure if that would actually do what you want or not. Misty's UVMapper Classic technique might be much easier if that works.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Hmm, that's interesting, odd that there isn't just a button to load on a uv map similar to how easy it is to load a different texture map on something.  Of course it's easily solved like you said, I just assumed I was missing a button somewhere that would do it right in Carrara.

Doubly strange since we can simply drag and drop UV presets for Genesis onto the 'actor' from the 'materials' section of the content library.  Maybe there's a way to make a new UV preset in Studio, and save it in that section?  Like I said, all of this was simply to satisfy my curiosity though, since apparently I can simply drag and drop the uv presets even on my altered figure just fine (which really makes no logical sense to me, since the new figure I've created has more polys than the original the uv set was designed for, but I'm still happy that it works as it makes thinks very convenient.  I'm guessing maybe it scans for named material zones, and as long as those match up it will work ok).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited August 2017

in studio its under surfaces rightclick the lined square icon import uv obj

you can then  save that uv as a support asset

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I tried without success to use Blenders data modifier to transfer UV's to a different mesh

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

Misty at the Rendo Forms outlines just doing that setting a character preset in studio and using it in Carrara.  She details out a LOT of information on using from V3 to V7 in Carrara worth reading.  look for Notes,workflow tips a few changes from Victoria 3 to Victoria 7.  There are several relevant threads with some useful information on this and related subjects. 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

The Export of the flattened UV layout,. is a texturing template,. (saved as an image format) so,.. no 3D data there.

The actual UV data is stored in the model,.

so in order to "Swap" UV's,. you'd need a differently UV mapped model,.

EG: a cube (with Box UV mapping) ,. a cube (with spherical mapping) 

Both objects are the same but have different UV mapping types or "layouts"