How do you create realistic ocean?

13»

Comments

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Brianorca is a great plugin with some cool shaders for the ocean, BUT you need a good light also to get the right effect. DCG terrain tools is a must to dreate the waves around the objects and even the shaders. BUT you will need some particles to create a lot of effect and something that people need to understand is that you always need post work! Theres no perfect final render!
    Here something tha i did using Brianorca shaders (I thin I used its orimitive also) and DCG terrains tools.

SkullIsland.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 99K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

:lol: hahahaaha

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

You can download Howie's Water Pack for free.

http://www.howiefarkes.com/?page_id=301

Are there any other good water shaders available for sale at Daz?
    I do have "Water" by HolyForest and Carrara Realistic Seas by PhilW.

Also what Plug-ins should I buy to help with my workflow?

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited March 2013

Btw, probably most people already know but it's worth mentioning that advanced transparency effects like absorption, inscattering, and realistic refraction don't work on a simple displaced plane... You need a cube or some kind of internal volume to the mesh to get "realistic" effects.

It wouldn't show in the example image in this thread, but it might be useful to think about for people who see this thread later looking for hints how to get better oceans....

In-scattering and absorption don't work on a plane or the Ocean primitive? I've been using it on them all the time and it seems to me that they work. See example:

Evil,
    A couple of suggestions for the image you posted of the girl in the water...

Not criticisms, not challenges, just suggestions you might want to consider.

If you look at photos of women with wet hair, you'll notice that even though it's all wet and clumped, the individual hair strands still provide texture to the hair. In other words, you probably won't see the broad, white highlights you've shown, but rather more texture as the individual hair strands reflect the light. My first impression of the hair in your image was that it looked more like a shiny plastic helmet than textured hair.

You might want to check some photos of actual wet hair, and dial back the highlights and make them a bit more subtle and maybe add some bump for the individual hair strands. And maybe give the hair itself some translucency/SSS to give it some life so it looks less like plastic.

And my first impression of the water was that it appeared more like a viscous brown motor oil than water. You might want to make the water more inviting and prettier to highlight the pretty girl, and tweak the colors to make it less brown and more, well, inviting. Maybe more blue/green or something.

And one thing that's difficult about modelling water is waves. Typically waves are generated by wind. Small breezes generate small ripples, and big, far off storms generate big waves that can travel thousands of miles. And since they are generated by winds, which are typically in one direction, most waves are in one direction. Now of course you can have large waves generated by far off winds superimposed on small ripples driven by local breezes too. And of course in a small pond you can have some random looking, reflecting ripples.

But anyway, if you've ever seen video of an ocean after a large oil spill, you notice that all the small ripples are gone. That's because a heavy viscous fluid like oil can't support small ripples. So if you see water with only big lumps for waves your mind tends to think it's heavy viscous fluid like oil. That doesn't mean you CAN'T have only larger bumps and no small ripples...I live on the beach and I see it all the time. You just need to be consistent and recognize how the waves are generated and how they should appear. And if you have larger waves entering a small bay or small cove like the one you've shown you'd expect to see smaller reflected ripples bouncing off the shore. Without that it looks like motor oil.

So you might want to consider cutting back a bit on the big lumps and maybe insert some small, breeze driven ripples and reflecting ripples. Give the water some character, maybe do some hand modelling of the mesh to generate little reflecting ripples, stuff like that. As well as make sure your terrain and character interact with the water.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Another way is to get a splash pack of props that have in another store. I used to create a image also:

http://gkdantas.tumblr.com/image/31871296233

Image contain nudity!

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

GKDantas, can you please let me know the name of the product you used for water splashes.

edited December 1969

GKDantas, can you please let me know the name of the product you used for water splashes.

Have you tried making some splashes with particles set to metaball? It's certainly not realistic fluid sim..., but you can add a lot of motion and excitement. It's a lot to do with a creative emitter shape, then playing with the number and speed in the particles settings... I think you can "freeze" particles to use as your own props...
    CoolDown.jpg
    400 x 581 - 142K
    edited March 2013

Yes holly, been thinking about Particle emitter. Going to set aside a couple of days to play with it and see if I can create something realistic.
    First task is to get the water right with bump maps and suitable lighting.
    Once that is done I can focus on water splashes and creating a big wave at the back of the scene.

Post edited by scottidog2 on
    edited December 1969

Another one... I went through a "water splash" phase... LOL!

Chandelier_7.png
    683 x 900 - 900K
    edited December 1969

Thats very surreal and imaginative.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Btw, probably most people already know but it's worth mentioning that advanced transparency effects like absorption, inscattering, and realistic refraction don't work on a simple displaced plane... You need a cube or some kind of internal volume to the mesh to get "realistic" effects.

It wouldn't show in the example image in this thread, but it might be useful to think about for people who see this thread later looking for hints how to get better oceans....

In-scattering and absorption don't work on a plane or the Ocean primitive? I've been using it on them all the time and it seems to me that they work. See example:

Evil,
    A couple of suggestions for the image you posted of the girl in the water...

Not criticisms, not challenges, just suggestions you might want to consider.

If you look at photos of women with wet hair, you'll notice that even though it's all wet and clumped, the individual hair strands still provide texture to the hair. In other words, you probably won't see the broad, white highlights you've shown, but rather more texture as the individual hair strands reflect the light. My first impression of the hair in your image was that it looked more like a shiny plastic helmet than textured hair.

You might want to check some photos of actual wet hair, and dial back the highlights and make them a bit more subtle and maybe add some bump for the individual hair strands. And maybe give the hair itself some translucency/SSS to give it some life so it looks less like plastic.

And my first impression of the water was that it appeared more like a viscous brown motor oil than water. You might want to make the water more inviting and prettier to highlight the pretty girl, and tweak the colors to make it less brown and more, well, inviting. Maybe more blue/green or something.

And one thing that's difficult about modelling water is waves. Typically waves are generated by wind. Small breezes generate small ripples, and big, far off storms generate big waves that can travel thousands of miles. And since they are generated by winds, which are typically in one direction, most waves are in one direction. Now of course you can have large waves generated by far off winds superimposed on small ripples driven by local breezes too. And of course in a small pond you can have some random looking, reflecting ripples.

But anyway, if you've ever seen video of an ocean after a large oil spill, you notice that all the small ripples are gone. That's because a heavy viscous fluid like oil can't support small ripples. So if you see water with only big lumps for waves your mind tends to think it's heavy viscous fluid like oil. That doesn't mean you CAN'T have only larger bumps and no small ripples...I live on the beach and I see it all the time. You just need to be consistent and recognize how the waves are generated and how they should appear. And if you have larger waves entering a small bay or small cove like the one you've shown you'd expect to see smaller reflected ripples bouncing off the shore. Without that it looks like motor oil.

So you might want to consider cutting back a bit on the big lumps and maybe insert some small, breeze driven ripples and reflecting ripples. Give the water some character, maybe do some hand modelling of the mesh to generate little reflecting ripples, stuff like that. As well as make sure your terrain and character interact with the water.

I didn't post the image as my take on the perfect ocean, I posted it to demonstrate that you could use In-scattering and absorption on a non-enclosed object and still get the effect.

edited December 1969

I used particle emitter in my image to create the water drops in the body and some spalsh effect also. I just sended the link to you in PM since its from another store... dont know if I can post it here.

edited December 1969

I didn't post the image as my take on the perfect ocean, I posted it to demonstrate that you could use In-scattering and absorption on a non-enclosed object and still get the effect.

Oh, okay....so you only accept comments on those certain images that you have proclaimed to be perfect/finished/final ? Sorry...and I suppose you already knew all the stuff I mentioned, too....

Well, maybe the comments might be helpful for those who aren't already experts.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    The vast majority of people want to point and click and go "aaaah". .

So are you saying that the stereotype about hobbyists only wanting a "Make Art" button is really true?? :)

I don't want to believe that. Even if it IS true. I have more faith in people's artistic abilities and desire to learn and improve. Because I'm an idiot.... :)

edited May 2022

Redacted

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited March 2013

Edited to keep the thread on track...

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    cridgit said:
    The vast majority of people want to point and click and go "aaaah". .

So are you saying that the stereotype about hobbyists only wanting a "Make Art" button is really true?? :)

I don't want to believe that. Even if it IS true. I have more faith in people's artistic abilities and desire to learn and improve. Because I'm an idiot.... :)

Or because you're an artist :-)

I'd go with the last bit myself.... ;-)

They say that confession is good for the soul...

edited December 1969

Hey kids, instead of responding to everything with tantrums and name calling, how 'bout this:

"Gee, thanks for taking your time to give those suggestions and input. Some of those things hadn't occurred to me, and maybe I even learned a little. I really appreciate it !!"

edited May 2022

Redacted

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Hey kids, instead of responding to everything with tantrums and name calling, how 'bout this:

"Gee, thanks for taking your time to give those suggestions and input. Some of those things hadn't occurred to me, and maybe I even learned a little. I really appreciate it !!"

Are you referring to something that happened earlier in the thread? I've gone back to check the posts following your advice and I'm not sure what gave you the impression about tantrums and name-calling. It certainly wasn't me, and I don't see any other poses with that tone. Perhaps you're reading too much into it?True. I agree.
    But also... hey,
    Thanks for your time man. I really appreciate it.

Here's a new skin shader I'm in the middle of. It's animated to drip down in specular, bump and color. The hair is also matted down a bit using morphs - and the color, specular and bump are animated. I can hardly wait to see how the animation render turns out:

Storm_End_Doc1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 342K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Here's a new skin shader I'm in the middle of. It's animated to drip down in specular, bump and color. The hair is also matted down a bit using morphs - and the color, specular and bump are animated. I can hardly wait to see how the animation render turns out:

Nice job with those specular highlights Dart. They really do make Rosie's skin look wet. Thanks for your time man, I really appreciate it!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119

~  interesting  ~

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

too much JM2K in these old threads angry