RIP Cripeman - Carrara Tutorial Producer - and tribute challenge

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021
edited August 2017 in Art Studio

Mr. Cripe, aka Cripeman, recently passed away after a long struggle with lung cancer. People who used Carrara back in the day, even if they use other software now, may remember his helpful tutorials. 

Carrara Challenge 35 - Tribute to Cripeman - Kapow

The Carrara community would like to celebrate the life of a recently departed mentor and friend. 

For this challenge, each entry is required to link to a related video tutorial by Cripeman, taken much too soon from us.  Here is a link to the Cripeman tutorial channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cripeman/feed

The WIP thread is here

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/192276/carrara-challenge-35-tribute-to-cripeman-kapow-wip-thread#latest

For example.  If you do a landscape scene with trees, you could link to one of the related tutorials, such as  

One of the hallmark elements of a Cripeman tutorial was him saying Kapow when he completed a "cool" function within Carrara.  It is not required, but I will offer a $20 Daz gift card to the best incorporation of "Kapow."  You don't have to include the word as text or anything like that.  Kapow is an exclamation or a highlight.  Your image will be considered for the special $20 prize if it conveys the sentiment of Kapow.  The following might help with the sentiment for people not familiar with Kapow.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/05/the-language-of-comics/

Important dates - Entry Thread Closes Sep 30, 2017

- WIP thread opens - Aug 21, 2017, 7pm, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread opens - Sep 18, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread closes, voting begins - Sep 30, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Voting thread closes, winners announced, - Oct 7, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

DazSponsored Prizes

Daz is continuing its sponsorship of the challenges, including supporting a PA sponsor.  Details will follow soon.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh no no no!  I'm so sorry to hear this!  His video tutorials are awesome and I've learned a lot from them.  Ugh, I hate this!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021

Really sad news.  Demonstrates some good and less good about this internet thing.  On the one hand, this amazing person was able to touch so many strangers by sharing his generosity, humor, and expertise. On the other hand, it is so hard to let his family and friends know what a positive contribution he made to so many lives, which might offer at least some comfort to them in their grief.  I think we do have a forum member who was one of his FB friends, so maybe I am underestimating that.  I hope so.

broken heartcrying

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    Diomede said:

Really sad news.  Demonstrates some good and less good about this internet thing.  On the one hand, this amazing person was able to touch so many strangers by sharing his generosity, humor, and expertise. On the other hand, it is so hard to let his family and friends know what a positive contribution he made to so many lives, which might offer at least some comfort to them in their grief.  I think we do have a forum member who was one of his FB friends, so maybe I am underestimating that.  I hope so.

broken heartcrying

I did link the RIP thread on FB and some of his family responded with heart comforted to know he touched so many

Thanks. Very thoughtful of you.

th3Digit said:
    Diomede said:

broken heartcrying

I did link the RIP thread on FB and some of his family responded with heart comforted to know he touched so many

Sponsors - Horo and David Brinnen

One of my favorite Cripeman tutorials is the one in which he shows how to bring Bryce terrains, heightmaps, and materials to Carrara.  Therefore, I reached out to two of the masters, Horo and David Brinnen.  They have agreed to be the sponsors of this challenge.

https://www.daz3d.com/horo

https://www.daz3d.com/david-brinnen

There are over 200 items to choose from.  Although there are plenty of products for Bryce that would require conversion as per Cripeman's tutorial, there are also products easily used in Carrara.  Here is the Cripeman tutorial that I was referring to.

edited September 2017

Considering participating this month?  Wondering about the range of topics covered in Cripeman tutorials?  Dartanbeck's information manual thread gathers links to quite a few Cripeman tutorials and categorizes them.  Might be easier to find what you want or to spark an idea than browsing youtube.  See

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/233895/#Comment_233895

Cripeman has a tutorial for a mountain of skulls, and a tribute to Frank Frazetta.  This is my WIP. 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited September 2017

great stuff diomede!

​sorry to be tardy, I've been busy saving the world, here's a quick start on mine using Cripeman's excellent blueprint tutorial.

​rendered out gouroud (sp?) and NPR then combined in post 

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited October 2017

Congratulations to the winners.  

Here is UnifiedBrain's excellent image, which got the top!  Cripeman had a tutorial dedicated to Frank Frazetta.  Great job, UB.

edited October 2017

Here is another one of the winners.  In this, the masterful Stezza created a caraciture of Cripeman and imbedded him the Carrara user interface, with an nod to one of the greatest art images ever.  And of course, a wonderful nod to Cripeman's catch phrase, Kapow!

edited October 2017

Rounding out the top 3, the always creative Head Wax used multipass renders and the greyscale landscape editor for this amazing piece.

And honorable mention went to MDO2010, for his low res cartoon entry.  Everything was modeled, shaded, lit, etc. in Carrara.  Cripeman would be very happy.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow these are all well done!  I'm sure he is smiling over these.  Really great contest!

• therixxtherixx Posts: 78

I was not sure about what happened to Cripeman... Really sad to know, but thank you for celebrating him and his precious work. The tributes here are nice and touching. And thank you also for explaining the "Kapow", which I was never able to understand while listening to the tutorials. Thank you Mr. Cripe(man).

edited March 2022

And thank you for the nice comment.  Looking through the thread again and remembering was comforting.  RIP, Cripeman.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Great challenge too . Yes rip cripeman