Bryce on the Mac App Store

v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I was on the Mac App store, looking for an alternative to Bryce, when before my wondering eyes should appear -Bryce 7.
for $99

Uhm. Is that smart?

Lets see, there is, at least a warning that it will not work on Lion or Mountain Lion. Still, that is kind of bad press from the start, isn't it? No matter who is at fault, it sort of misses the boat with new customers of Apple Computers.

But then, if there is somone who gets Bryce and has it runninng because they DO use Snow Leopard, how are they going to feel when they want to buy new content and come here and find out they just paid $99 for something DAZ no longer charges for?

Of all the DAZ products, why is Bryce the only one in the App store when it is the only one that doesn't work on the newest OS?

Although I would guess that DIM is part of some more for DAZ Studio with in app purchasing.

Comments

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Verlon said:
    I was on the Mac App store, looking for an alternative to Bryce, when before my wondering eyes should appear -Bryce 7.
    for $99

Uhm. Is that smart?

Now THAT'S funny :D

And No, it's not smart, hence the funny.

Lets see, there is, at least a warning that it will not work on Lion or Mountain Lion.

That's part of the funny. "Here, buy an app that doesn't work on our machines." It's like trying to sell a Win 3.11 application for Windoze 8.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

DIM is the new DAZ 3D Download and Install manager. It is a once only download, free, which helps with downloading and installing content. SO far it works for Daz Studio and Poser and can only be used to download content, not the Apps themself. Eventually it will be extended to add download support for all DAZ 3D programs.

You can still download content manually if you prefer as DIM is not, and will never be, mandatory.

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I never meant to imply DIM would be mandatory, just that it could one day be possible to make purchases directly from either there or DAZ Studio/Bryce/Carrara and have DIM install it, thus allowing in app purchasing.

That was just a side note on the other issue with Bryce though.

It seems Carrara 9 is slated for Q4 this year, does that make 2014 the year for Bryce?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I thought it was quarter 4 for Carrara 8.5, followed by Carrara 9 in first quarter (possibly) 2014.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

What's even sadder about Bryce at the App store (and so typical of DAZ's cheapness) is that it's a much older version of Bryce 7 which has no upgrade path and installs differently then the current version.
    And this is the only Bryce render shown in the store - not real representative of what Bryce is capable of, I'd say.

app_store_bryce.jpg
    681 x 425 - 54K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited March 2013

"a much older version of Bryce 7" that must be the iceberg that sank the Titanic. ahem.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2013

Seriously Dan?

That's the only example shown in the Mac Store?
    A screen grab of the PC version of an overpriced not up to date Mac download of Bryce that most likely wont work on a Mac anyway.

Way to go DAZ... better rush yourselves to hospital and get that bullet wound in your foot seen to. :lol:

Post edited by Dave Savage on