SSS Bug in Carrara 8.1.1?

I have recently been making a weeping tree in Carrara with Subsurface scattering applied to the leaves.

The individual renders turn out just fine, but when I tried animating, I lost the subsurface scattering after the first frame.

I checked everywhere for a hidden keyframe...no.

If I start the animation at a different time....still only the first frame has SSS.

perhaps an AVI issue?

Or maybe just a line of code is missing that tells Carrara to check SSS every frame during animations?

Any Thoughts out there?

SSS Tree.jpg
611 x 485 - 141K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945

Windows or Mac? not that I can help but there may be a difference.

I am pretty certain SSS worked on my human figures so is it just trees leaves which use a replication method for the leaves?

I do know animating rustling and wind on replicated trees caused issues for me in animation with dropped instances, Howie Farkes Japanese Teagarden was an absolute mess after about 100 frames animated, no tree movement it rendered fine.

Octane seems unaffected by that bug as long as I can fit it all on my card that is, the Teagarden needs a lot of "pruning" for that! But the vanishing trees in the native engine does not seem to be memory related as I have had it happen on other occasions.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

Wendy,

I am on a windows machine.

I will check on whether the rustle or tree movement has any difference. To me, it seems like Carrara is not checking for SSS on animation, since no matter where I start, the starting frame is OK, but all of the rest of the frames drop the SSS. Probably not memory related, since it will begin acting up on the second frame.

I will try with a simple sphere to see if the problem lies with the trees replicated leaves.

Tomorrow....

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

maybe you could animate the sss by a slight change in paremeter from beginning to end?

I tested on a sphere and I also replicated it and it certaimly calculates and renders the SSS every frame

I do image series but avi also produces image series in temp before finishing so that should make no difference.

Untitled.jpg
    1929 x 1041 - 379K

replicated windy rustling trees seem ok too

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 243K
    edited August 2017

A little more testing by adding a sphere with the same shader as the leaves.

The sphere renders all the frames with SSS while the tree leaves don't.

More tests after work.

For some reason I am not getting the "calculating subsurface scattering" notification box like in Wendys screenshot?

SSS Tree2.jpg
    613 x 485 - 110K
    Post edited by McGuiver on

well I only got it with replicated trees 

I think was there but gone in a blink with one

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

It's possible that this was an issue in C8.1,.  which perhaps is no longer an issue in C8.5

has anyone tried this in 8.5 ?,. or is there some other reason to use 8.1 i'm missing ?

jus curious :)

I tested in 8.1 as have both and what Mcguiver was using

Well,

I haven't found a solution yet,but I will try a different way... maybe shoestring shaders.

I will post again if I find a workaround.