Need realistic Night Skies for tropical setting

db-2206254db-2206254 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I'm working on a game that takes place on a South Pacific Island entirely at night. I have a specific look in mind, but my sky lab skills don't seem to be up to my vision. The results have been either too dark, losing texture details, or awash in glowing blue light. The closest I've come is the preset "False Dawn". I need a clear, moonlit night with stars and a distant thunderstorm in the distance over the ocean. (That last part I will probably have to add in Photoshop) The lighting is very important because it will effect all outdoor scenes so it has to be just right. If anyone knows of a good HDRI image or tutorial I would be grateful.

-Thanks

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

db said:
    I'm working on a game that takes place on a South Pacific Island entirely at night. I have a specific look in mind, but my sky lab skills don't seem to be up to my vision. The results have been either too dark, losing texture details, or awash in glowing blue light. The closest I've come is the preset "False Dawn". I need a clear, moonlit night with stars and a distant thunderstorm in the distance over the ocean. (That last part I will probably have to add in Photoshop) The lighting is very important because it will effect all outdoor scenes so it has to be just right. If anyone knows of a good HDRI image or tutorial I would be grateful.

-Thanks

If you are will to upload images of the kind of effect you are trying to get, then I will look into what can be done when I get the chance.

Then I'd also know if this was the kind of effect you were after... http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-pro-cloudscapes-7-night-cloud

• db-2206254db-2206254 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

(adds to cart)

Ah, Mr. Brinnen. You always have the best stuff. These night skies look terrific. I don't have a lot of experience with volumetric skies because of the absurd render times. (I'm on an iMac and I can't upgrade my VRAM because it's enclosed.) But I read your note about fast renders so that sounds great. I would really like to be able to test one of these in a scene to see how it effects the lighting on the environments. I'm 99% sure that I will end up purchasing these, but is there any chance you could let me play around with one so I can have some peace of mind before spending the $$?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited March 2013

db said:
    (adds to cart)

Ah, Mr. Brinnen. You always have the best stuff. These night skies look terrific. I don't have a lot of experience with volumetric skies because of the absurd render times. (I'm on an iMac and I can't upgrade my VRAM because it's enclosed.) But I read your note about fast renders so that sounds great. I would really like to be able to test one of these in a scene to see how it effects the lighting on the environments. I'm 99% sure that I will end up purchasing these, but is there any chance you could let me play around with one so I can have some peace of mind before spending the $$?

I'm sure we can work something out, yeah, email me mail(at symbol)davidbrinnen(dot)com

Show me a picture of what you are trying to get though and I might be able to advise you better.

I'm sorry you are on a Mac, not that I have anything against Mac's indeed if I could afford one I'd probably be sat at one! But that aside, I'm sorry because there are some troublesome bugs that plague only Mac users of Bryce.

OK there's my email, feel free to use it. Remember fast is a relative concept in the world of rendering. ;)

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • db-2206254db-2206254 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll be in touch.