Question (possibly silly one) about Genesis clothing

ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi everyone,

There's some really great Genesis clothing out (as I'm sure you all know) but I'm a Poser user who is hopelessly attached to M4/V4.

Is there some way (like Crossdresser, for example) that Genesis clothing can be adapted to fit these figures in Poser Pro?

Or can it be added to any scene in the same way that M4-gen clothing could be, and conformed to any figure? If so, then I can make do if the fit isn't perfect.

Just would like a little guidance before dropping money on some new items... thanks!

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100
    edited December 1969

Do you have poser 9 or poser 2012?

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply. As I said I have Poser Pro. The original one released alongside Poser 7.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Genesis and genesis content are a horse of a different color. None are compatible with poser and certainly not that old of a version. It's all a completely different format. You can always download studio 4 and try the cr2 exporter.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2012

With my limited understand of Genesis and Poser, I think that while you can put mesh and rigging of base Genesis into Poser (via cr2 exporter and Dsf Toolbox) you won't get most of Genesis functionality, such as UV remaps, adaptive rigging, etc, because Poser simply has no ability to replicate those features. Transfer of morphs/shapes/scaling morphs, if possible at all, would probably take lots and lots of time. I doubt that basic transferred rigging for Genesis would be as good as what Genesis has in DS, so you'd probably have to basically reweightmap the whole figure and all clothes that you'd use for it.

If you need only clothes, not Genesis itself, it might be easier (and I use that term carefully) to refit them for V4/M4 using some external modeller to modify the clothes to fit M4/V4 and usual poser donor methods.You won't be able to redistribute them but for your own purposes and renders it is ok. This method still requires you to know how to rig clothes for Poser and probably on using DS or DSF toolbox to export Genesis clothes from native Genesis format to objs.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Problem is that he needs poser 2012 which he does not have. The CR2 exporter will only work with Poser 9 or Poser 2012, sorry.

edited December 1969

Problem is that he needs poser 2012 which he does not have. The CR2 exporter will only work with Poser 9 or Poser 2012, sorry.

I wasn't aware of that. Why is that so?
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

I wasn't aware of that. Why is that so?

Only poser 9 and Poser 2012 have weight mapping which Genesis use. Older versions of Poser do not have weight mapping but use a different kind of rigging. Poser 8 and Poser 2010 have had added a special kind of rigging that is not in previous versions, which is why Miki 3 will not work in any version earlier than poser 8 or Poser 2010.

edited June 2012

Only poser 9 and Poser 2012 have weight mapping which Genesis use. Older versions of Poser do not have weight mapping but use a different kind of rigging. Poser 8 and Poser 2010 have had added a special kind of rigging that is not in previous versions, which is why Miki 3 will not work in any version earlier than poser 8 or Poser 2010.

Yes, but from what I got canberra_boy is using regular V4/M4 in an earlier version of Poser. You don't need to have weightmapped Genesis rigging to adapt clothes for that situation. Export obj from DS, morph to fit M4, regroup and rerig as usual clothes for M4 - granted, it isn't automatical process but Wardrobe Wizard 2, I think, can autorig some meshes from blank objs.
    Just as people did before with V3 to V4 refits... seems to be the way.
    Post edited by Kattey on