Obsidian Warrior-Clarke & Jackson for Genesis 3/8 Female and Male [Commercial]

DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,087
edited September 2017 in Daz PA Commercial Products

One reason I had been so quiet for a while!  The Obsidian Warrior project; a collab between myself, Arki, Shox-Design, and Porsimo.

A great clothing set with very well done textures, weaponry and poses.

My contribution were the male/female characters.

mainb-daz3d.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 1M
main-daz3d.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 1M
pop up 1-daz3d.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 2M
pop up 1-daz3d.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 1M
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565

Just so you know:

I would definitely have bought the weapon pack, quite probably the clothing, perhaps the characters if you had all included at least basic 3Delight materials; but you didn't, so I won't be even thinking about buying any of them. The Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 figures all come from DAZ with 3Delight support as well as Iray, and as far as I'm concerned so should products for them (other than products which are specifically e.g. a new Iray shader). I'm no longer prepared to pay for things where I'm going to have to convert them to 3DL from scratch myself.

I'm particularly sad about Porsimo - used to buy virtually every product he put out.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited September 2017

It all looks fantastic! What an exciting collaboration! 

Here is a quick render of Clarke in a different time period. She makes a great warrior woman: 

G8-Clarke.jpg
    1682 x 1976 - 460K
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • DavidGB said:

Just so you know:

I would definitely have bought the weapon pack, quite probably the clothing, perhaps the characters if you had all included at least basic 3Delight materials; but you didn't, so I won't be even thinking about buying any of them. The Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 figures all come from DAZ with 3Delight support as well as Iray, and as far as I'm concerned so should products for them (other than products which are specifically e.g. a new Iray shader). I'm no longer prepared to pay for things where I'm going to have to convert them to 3DL from scratch myself.

I'm particularly sad about Porsimo - used to buy virtually every product he put out.

I respect your preference of materials, as well as understand and respect your desire to only purchase products as you wish; I have, many times for many years purchased and worked over products for Poser only to have them work in Studio, vice versa, as well as products for 3dsMax for Studio, etc. and understand the frustration the entire process can bring; however I have never felt the urge to go directly into any seller's forums/threads anywhere to simply state that their products are no use to me because of the formatting-too bad for them.  

Over the years I have had major issues in working in 3DL; and eventually I had gone into Posrr because of them.  Iray rendered faster even on a system 10 years old with no Nvidia card than 3DL with a simple 3 point light rig and no extras.

Couple that with my day job that can run 40-50 hours a week, and a family life and the reasons for not including a material preset I don't like to use, don't have the physical time to create and render, and they stack up- for me- as a reason to edit them out.

If this gives anyone the reasons not to purchase whatever it is I've created, I respect that as well;  You will never see me visiting anyone's art thread, site, or gallery stating that fact.

Thank you for your visit.

• I've had to wishlist this, much to my dismay but wow!  The whole set is fantastic!  I totally respect the fact that you choose to only do Iray materials, and I have a feeling, since this was a collaberation and not just up to you that you all came to an agreement on materials.  I can't imagine the amount of extra time it takes to do two sets of completely different materials. Honestly, when Iray first came out I was genuinely disappointed that many vendors chose not to support 3Delight, and I still occaisionally do renders in 3Delight, however, since I'm tentatively sticking my nose into texturing and modelling, I have a whole new outlook on what exactly goes into something like this and have come to the conclusion that Iray is what most people want.  I know it doesn't seem fair to those who prefer, or have to stay with 3Delight due to system resources, but the truth of the matter is, the vendors have to put out what the majority of people will pay for in a manner that makes their time profitable. The amount of extra time this set would demand for both materials would put this out of my price range I'm sure, as well as many others.  Because, I don't think you can expect people to do twice the work for the price of one....Just my thoughts on the matter, having been on both sides of this at one point.

And again, you guys did a really really awesome job on this!

• I grabbed it all. I do wish it had had a bundle option but that's neither here nor there. Your characters were great to see Darwin, always are and I want to commend you for continually putting out male characters I quite like. I really hope this all sells well so we can continue to see sets like this that isn't a bikini with maybe a shoulderpad and some boots that then gets called armor. And of course, to see more realistic characters like you have made here.

Don't worry about the guy who complained either. It's pretty easy to convert back and forth. I myself only use iRay these days because it is faster and looks much better (to my eye) than 3Delight did.

• Don't worry about the guy who complained either. 

I hear you, what you meant to say was : Thank you for addressing the concerns of a valued past/future customer. lol

And then you were going to link him to a bunch of products/options for changing the materials from iRay to 3Delight.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/92956/iray-items-in-3delight-how

And...

This was a google search result....

--------------------

I do personally miss the SPEED of 3Delight, but I do think iray looks better and well, it seems to be the flow of things...

I've only met 1 wonky older set that rendered terrible in Iray- I ended up rendering it in BOTH engines and then did a composite image in photoshop.

• avxp said:

Don't worry about the guy who complained either. 

I hear you, what you meant to say was : Thank you for addressing the concerns of a valued past/future customer. lol

And then you were going to link him to a bunch of products/options for changing the materials from iRay to 3Delight.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/92956/iray-items-in-3delight-how

And...

This was a google search result....

--------------------

I do personally miss the SPEED of 3Delight, but I do think iray looks better and well, it seems to be the flow of things...

I've only met 1 wonky older set that rendered terrible in Iray- I ended up rendering it in BOTH engines and then did a composite image in photoshop.

I'm just another customer myself. I've had disappointments with things, particularly when I see something that looks awesome in other stores then see it uses poser shaders, for example. But going to the artist and complaining doesn't really help anything. I love Dreamland Models, for example, but his older sets are pure Poser. I bought them anyway and did as much converting of surfaces as I could but still missed out on some awesome things like the scripts that can make the street look like it has rained recently. I didn't complain to Dreamland (I think that's the artist's name) I just did what I could and made a decision on whether or not to go to the effort. (And happily bought the stuff he released her at Daz!)

edited September 2017

I've got Jackson downloading on the slow-boat-to-China known as "my satellite internet." When I finally get him loaded up, I'll post some test renders. He looks like he's going to be fun to work with. Clarke certainly is! 

• I don't see anyone as 'just another customer', really.  I am a customer as well, and fully understand the viewpoint that had been posted- just not agreeing with posting it here simply because I would not do such a thing to another vendor.  Personal threads, sure.  I give my two cents once in a while as well.

Dreamland models are great- and I've taken them into Studio as well to fiddle with the materials and such to get them to work...but eventually dropped that idea simply because of lack of time.

I am usually doing two other things around the house while I'm working on projects, so time is-as they say-sacrasanct. 

So, no; I will not be including 3DL shaders/material settings.  I respect those that wish PA's would, but this PA will not be doing so.

• I grabbed it all. I do wish it had had a bundle option but that's neither here nor there. Your characters were great to see Darwin, always are and I want to commend you for continually putting out male characters I quite like. I really hope this all sells well so we can continue to see sets like this that isn't a bikini with maybe a shoulderpad and some boots that then gets called armor. And of course, to see more realistic characters like you have made here.

Don't worry about the guy who complained either. It's pretty easy to convert back and forth. I myself only use iRay these days because it is faster and looks much better (to my eye) than 3Delight did.

I appreciate that, thank you.  There were so few male characters out there, and that's what spurred me into making mainly them; along with my genre which is off the 'normal' path a bit. ;)

And....here's Jackson! I see a hint of Mel here...

• Very nice, Llynara. Mel, really?  *head tip* I guess from that angle, wearing the face paint, I can see it.  lol  Never did before, that's rather amusing.  I used the Winter Soldier as a base for his face, actually. 

Glad you like! I'm out of the loop on movies and had to go look up The Winter Soldier. (If' it's not Disney, I probably haven't seen it the past zillion years!) Oh, yes, I can see some Winter Soldier there, but as always, he's got his own look. I'm having fun bringing out different aspects of it. wink

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929

I can add this here as well :)

Clarke duplicate in g3 and g8

edited September 2017

Nice one, Linwelly! They look like double trouble! Here's my version of an "Obsidian Warrior": 

Keeping Watch

"Oh, to be human again, if only for a moment..."

• This one is really well done, Llynara.  Thank you!

You are so very welcome. It's easy to make your peeps look good because you do a wonderful job. Of course, now all your other peeps in my runtime are clammoring for attention! laugh

• Damn that's a good shot. Very emotive...the hair looks great and the staging.

The city Brokeh thing...just great...

Anyone notice the Blue-ish foreground and the red far scape?

Great stuff....and the little things.....

See how her watermark signature is on an angle....

Attention to detail...for the win. lol

edited September 2017

*blush* Thank you avxp! These are so much fun to do. Honestly I'm supposed to be writing but I'd rather play with Darwin's peeps.

War Goddess

Here's one more, this is Clarke wearing the Minerva outfit, which comes with weapons, armor, hair, and poses.It's from Didier, who is in the Mega Fast Grab today. I used one of the included poses here. I used Clarke's third brow and some of her more natural makeup options. She looks pretty good with pale hair. Composition could be better, but I was having fun.

Minerva2.jpg
    1753 x 2000 - 426K
  • Oh, very nice, Llynara!

I did a quick one of Jackson- it's grainy, but eh.

Ooh, I like that look on him. Very nice! 

• Thank you!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

One of very few sets/combos that went straight into my basket. Especially love that there are both M & F versions of the outfit that remain "practical". And Jackson & Clarke set them off nicely. Oh, and for both 3 and 8! Gonna get a lot of use out of them I'm sure. yes

• Oh, very nice, Llynara!

I have this urge to reach out and touch him lol. 

edited September 2017

I think one of the things that makes this exceptional is the fact that the shaved hair texture on the head matches the body and facial hair very well. It "sells" the believability of the image to the eye. The graininess works well too, giving it a gritty, sci-fi cinema feel. 

Oh, very nice, Llynara!

ok, I fee stupid now, but where did you get that fuzz on his chest? I didn't find any fuzz for Jackson...

Linwelly- I think that's "Oh My Body Hair" by Redz over at Rendo

Llynara said:

Linwelly- I think that's "Oh My Body Hair" by Redz over at Rendo

Ah thanks ok, I was afraid I just didn't find the option to make him hairy ;)

• Bingo.  XD  Llynara got it.  The arms didn't work well with G8- even with the transfer utility tool the hair didn't fit his morphs well.

• DarwinsMishap, thanks for Clarke's normal lips! Much appreciated.