Anything Goos and Octane

I would like to use Anything Goos on an Carrara animation rendered in Octane. In some quick tests, with Carrara's native renderer the edge effect appears look as expected, But in the Octane test, the object appeared as if the effect was not applied.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Can you recommend a workaround? Is there an easy way to bake the shader including the effect?

Comments

• cyborgty_074ff6c243cyborgty_074ff6c243 Posts: 132
    edited September 2017

It has been a while since I used Carrra. After sending the above text, I remembered I had a Baker plugin in Carrara (it wasnt on my laptop). I used it and had success creating a texture for the test object (cylinder). Now it appears as expected in Octane (with the baked texture appled).

I'll see what success I have with a more completex objects later today.

Post edited by cyborgty_074ff6c243 on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Octane shaders are different from carrara's shaders,,. and don't support third party plugins.

when you send a scene to Octane,. or any other render engine,. then the shaders are "converted or translated" as best as possible to the native shaders for that render engine,.

the same applies to lighting. atmospherics etc.

Baking carrara shaders to texture maps is the only way to get the same results in any render engine,. since you're using the same texture maps

the complexity of the objects shouldn't matter to baker,. only the UV mapping,. and shading domains will be used to create the texture maps, so as long as your model is mapped/unwrapped correctly,. you should be good to go.

Hope it helps :)

• Thanks for your comment. I agree. Everything appears as expected in my Baked textures maps.
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

You should also have a look at some of the "octane" shaders,. such as "Dirt"

making shaders which create a the same,..or a similar effect,. (to carrara's shaders) ..within the OctaneRender shader system, makes sense, since those shader functions will use less GPU / RAM than loading / storing texture maps.

Octane has some pretty powerful shader functions.

quick dirt example,.

two colours ,. with a value/noise / and "dirt"as the mixer.

oct dirt.jpg
    1534 x 801 - 182K