set pivot, we need this now

DAZ studio continues to frustrate me in that one cannot just simply move the hotpoint of the gizmo

be it on a prop, a hair figure used as a prop, a group of objects etc

its a basic 3D function that is simply absent

the best I can do is make the object a figure and move the hip with those twiddly green and red arrows on the joint editor, not useful for everything.

why is there no inbuilt pivot reset?

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020

Im actually really annoyed with some recent environment sets where the separate props arent world center, straight on the axis, or with a pivot in its center of origin. Yes I know can modify the pivot/hotspot/origin with the joint editor tool, but we shouldnt have to. And we can never straighten a prop 100% accurately on the axis so that is out of the question. Individual props loaded individually especially in folders called ZERO PROPS should never have this problem. Also another gripe is multiple props loading as one single entity... why? eh. Sorry for the rant.

I want a proper origin tool inbuilt, and options of the tool to align things properly, I however do not want this to be considered a "solution" to something the PAs should be doing properly in the first place.

https://www.daz3d.com/beach-house
    This for instance I bought purely for the props... its a nightmare with its origins completely offset and props loading all over the place, not straight and not world center, and some are multiple props in one entity. (also in a folder called "zero props")

Swords, jewelry and any hand held props often poorly made like this... A nightmare.

• Put in a feature request. I don't think this will be a big priority. I think is would be a must have feature but who knows what is considered must have. Heck I want VR capabilities in all my 3D apps but most developers are still having problems getting out of 32bit programming and mutithreading optimization. Like I said put in a feature request.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

There's an old script by DeltaX15 called 'Move Origin' which easily sets the pivot. I still use it in DS 4.9 in preference to the Joint Editor. It's on this page here under Content Tools

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20206/

However, when I clicked the link, the page wouldn't load. But I think that's because it's an old forum link. There's a way to get those pages, but I can't remember how.

• The Joint Eeditor tool will allow you to move the centre point (and end point). The centre point determins the gizmo location.

• yes that script was the holy grail lost forever sadly and Richard I use the joint editor, it is an exceedingly clumsy way to do it.

• damn. a lot of those scripts look hella useful. Thre's no one with copies? 

• Isn't parenting it to a null the best way to go?
  • hrm. please, expound.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    denmisun said:

damn. a lot of those scripts look hella useful. Thre's no one with copies? 

No, those scripts can't be redistributed....mostly.  Each one has it's own terms and I can't remember which ones, under certain conditions, were allowed.

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

I have to agree with OP. Daz is missing some quality of life features... made worst when you start using other 3D apps that do have these features as standard and then you start wishing they were in Daz. (Seriously why is there no  Export Selected Object feature. I don't want to export the whole scene.. Why don't instances copy the name of the object you're instancing...Copy and Pasting objects from one scene to another scene is impossible, instead you have to rely on Scene Subsets..etc) 

I've used the Suggest a Feature before and honestly have no idea if they read them.

• and what's worse is when people create scripts to solve issues they copyright them in such a way that if they disappear off the face of the earth nobody else can redistribute them, I would happily pay for such scripts if they chose to sell them on DAZ 3D.

• Create a null, move null where you want the pivot point to be, parent the object to the null and move/pivot the null instead of the object.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited September 2017

DeltaX15's original 4shared account is still there.

https://www.4shared.com/folder/Gl1KlH4s/DS_Scripts.html

I can't get the download countdowns to work in Chrome, and I haven't tried signing up, but if someone else wants to give it a go, there it is.

If for whatever reason you want the old injectpmd or morphtools stuff, https://www.4shared.com/folder/E03-3f7D/DS_Plugins.html

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    Chohole said:

THANK YOU! This actually works.

But there are two values that need to be changed in that above code. For anyone interested, paste the entire code in a text file, and then change "false" to "true" where I bolded. Save it as a .dsa file in the Daz Scripts folder and select your object(s) you want to Export.

// If the version is 4.5.0.114 or newer

if( App.version64 >= 0x0004000500000072 ){

// Do not limit export to selection

oSettings.setBoolValue( "SelectedOnly", true );

// Do not limit export to the selected roots

oSettings.setBoolValue( "SelectedRootsOnly", true );

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    JeremyD said:
    Chohole said:

But there are two values that need to be changed in that above code. For anyone interested, paste the entire code in a text file, and then change "false" to "true" where I bolded. Save it as a .dsa file in the Daz Scripts folder and select your object(s) you want to Export.

Don't thank me,  thank the little bird who told me to tell you.  

Rob, I do hope you don't mind being called a little bird

Chohole said:

Chohole said:
    JeremyD said:
    Chohole said:

Don't thank me,  thank the little bird who told me to tell you.  

Rob, I do hope you don't mind being called a little bird

Thank you Rob!

• since I'm usually exporting some thing I'm working on 
    for example just to merge a couple primatives into a single object
    I just turn off the other items (which are usually off anyway) 
    and make sure the ignore invisible is checked in the export box.