Turning off Iray

How do I turn off Iray and render in 3Delight?

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,384
    edited September 2017

Change the render engine on the render tab under "editor"

engine.jpeg
    511 x 425 - 72K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • vindazivindazi Posts: 667
    edited September 2017

When I do that the water renders black. Is that normal? Also most of the detail like the bricks and tile in the castle, does not render.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.40.04 AM.png
    1526 x 2076 - 1M
    Post edited by vindazi on
    vindazi said:

When I do that the water renders black. Is that normal? Also most of the detail like the bricks and tile in the castle, does not render.

Do tell me about the lights that you have in the scene...  There doesn't seem to be any sky dome  for the water to reflect (that's the checkerboard pattern), and the light looks like the camera spotlight which probably should be turned off for the render (that is probably why the light looks so flat and direct).  Last but not least, there are render settings to tell the computer who transparent things are or, more specifically, how deeply to look through something; Look on the Render Tab with 3Delight chosen, Sampling and Max Ray Trace Depth (the higher the number such as 3 instead of 1, the more transparent things like water, glass and mirrors are.  

• Note that changing the render engine from Iray to 3Delight will do only that, it doesn't change any materials in your scene that are already set to Iray. The exact degree of not-working-ness will depend very heavily on exactly what the material is supposed to be, many effects are done very differently between the two render engines.

Somewhere here in the forums, there's a thread with scripts for turning Iray materials back into 3Delight; anyone have a link to it? I hardly ever use 3Delight any more, so I don't remember the thread name.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,962

There's also a new script, also from Esemwy, that can help you select specific sets of surfaces. I requested it specifically for things like 'great, everything is 3dl but I want a glass shader on the glass bits and emission shaders on the lights'

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/196421/search-and-select-surfaces-in-daz-studio

nemesis10 said:
    vindazi said:

Do tell me about the lights that you have in the scene...  There doesn't seem to be any sky dome  for the water to reflect (that's the checkerboard pattern), and the light looks like the camera spotlight which probably should be turned off for the render (that is probably why the light looks so flat and direct).  Last but not least, there are render settings to tell the computer who transparent things are or, more specifically, how deeply to look through something; Look on the Render Tab with 3Delight chosen, Sampling and Max Ray Trace Depth (the higher the number such as 3 instead of 1, the more transparent things like water, glass and mirrors are.  

Actually I don't need iRay. It takes too much time to render and I am going to manipulate the image a lot. I have turned off iRay. I changed the water. I have the image I want without the "black" water. Now the image is missing some basic detail. Note the difference in the screen captured image and the flat rendered image. How can I get the image to render accurately?

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 11.22.27 PM.png
    1786 x 1328 - 777K
    Mountain Hermi Castle-1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    vindazi said:
    nemesis10 said:
    vindazi said:

Actually I don't need iRay. It takes too much time to render and I am going to manipulate the image a lot. I have turned off iRay. I changed the water. I have the image I want without the "black" water. Now the image is missing some basic detail. Note the difference in the screen captured image and the flat rendered image. How can I get the image to render accurately?

Looking closely at it, the water texture seems to be a flat image on a plain (as was done in the olden days of Poser and Daz Studio) and the light seems to be foreground which makes it even flatter....  I think there are better water surfaces in the Store; I was always partial to Ocean-Wide https://www.daz3d.com/ocean-wide  and Lakeside Folly  https://www.daz3d.com/lakeside-folly both of which have a nifty skydome to provide light.  A little depth of field would help too....

edited September 2017

Here is a render of Lakeside Folly in 3Delight...

Lakeside Folly.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 635K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

If a product is labled Iray, do I have to use iRay? Can I still switch any of them to 3Delight?

nemesis10 said:

Thanks

nemesis10 said:
    vindazi said:
    nemesis10 said:
    vindazi said:

Looking closely at it, the water texture seems to be a flat image on a plain (as was done in the olden days of Poser and Daz Studio) and the light seems to be foreground which makes it even flatter....  I think there are better water surfaces in the Store; I was always partial to Ocean-Wide https://www.daz3d.com/ocean-wide  and Lakeside Folly  https://www.daz3d.com/lakeside-folly both of which have a nifty skydome to provide light.  A little depth of field would help too....

I decided on Ocean Wide. How do I get the water to go fro the forground to the horizon?

vindazi said:

If a product is labled Iray, do I have to use iRay? Can I still switch any of them to 3Delight?

There is a script or two in the freebie section that might work but I would suggest you start with a pure 3delight product first so you don't have to do the conversion.

vindazi said:
    nemesis10 said:

Thanks

nemesis10 said:
    vindazi said:
    nemesis10 said:
    vindazi said:

I decided on Ocean Wide. How do I get the water to go fro the forground to the horizon?

The product is already set up to go to the horizon...