How can I get a proper 'cut' effect on mouth sides? (ventriloquest puppet look) - Got it, kind off

launoklaunok Posts: 793
edited September 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have very little experience with 3D and want the mouth parts of ventriloquest puppet to appear with more realistic 'cut in' look.  I got a Paint Shop Pro tutorial on how to give text a cut out effect and followed it for this but it's still too much 2D!  Can I do such in 3D for a more realistic cut effect?  I have done this on the saved image which FaceGen has generated.

Capture - doll mouth try.JPG
1366 x 768 - 138K
Post edited by launok on

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Since you are using 3Delight render engine you make the line with a displacement map.  Make a large(4096 x 4096) 16 bit grey scale image that is all white with the lines drawn black and with just a little blur so the lines edges don't appear to sharp.  Save this as a 16 bit grey scale TIFF and apply the the Displacement channel.  Set strength to 1, minimum to 0 and maximum to .25.

• launoklaunok Posts: 793

@jestmart - I am not quite following. blush  I have never done anything like this before, i.e. never used displacement maps.  Do I create a displacement map in Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop?  I am mostly using PSPX7.  

I think the lines which I have drawn are actuallty too thick for a 'cut out' look.  Are there a tutorial for beginners regarding displacement maps to use in Daz Studio?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Whatever program you used to make the texture.  I got the minimum and maximum values backwards in my first post

The texture was actually automatically generated via FaceGen and placed directly in the My DAZ 3D Library.  But parts of the original texture I had to change using PSP by painting it out which turned out messy on Genesis.  The lines I had put in myself afterwards.

edited September 2017

I went back to the generated FaceGen texture map which I have opened in PSP and play a bit more with the selected lines I have drawn from scratch.  This time I have add a bit of an inner bevel changing settings and colour and got the result as shown.

By the way, why is the Magus jacket's collar textures so strange looking after render?  Before render it's more normal.

new dolla.jpg
    554 x 570 - 66K
    tex_face1 test nose6 - test mouth8-8.jpg
    512 x 512 - 24K
    new dolla2.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 167K
    Post edited by launok on