Seeing in 3D: Stereo Renders

RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,826
edited September 2017 in Art Studio

When I was young, a common children's toy was View-Master. This was a small stereoscope that allowed you to see places and things in 3D by inserting a circular disk that contained 7 stereo photo pairs. The left-right photos were shot a few inches apart to mimic a person's eye width. Each eye sees a slightly different view and your brain translates the differences into depth so objects in different positions appear to overlap as they would in real life.

You can do the same using a Daz Studio camera to make stereo pairs. You can create your own camera setup or use one like the free Iray camera rig created by zaz777. Then use a free program like StereoPhoto Maker to assemble the two renders and output the result in one of several formats. Which format to use depends upon what type of viewer you have. I have red-blue glasses, so I use the gray or color anaglyph format. Other viewers use side-by-side, above/below, interlaced, or page-flipping formats. Some people can get away without a viewer if they can look cross-eyed at a side-by-side pair (I've never been able to do it myself). If you don't have red-blue glasses, search Google and you can find a number of places to buy them.

If you have made or make stereo renders, feel free to post your result and any tips to this discussion.

Here's my first attempts. These use zaz777's camera rig and the output was StereoPhoto Makers' Dubois (red/cyan) color anaglyph format.

Click on the images for a full size view.

wagon horses closeup.JPG
1200 x 720 - 632K
Post edited by RGcincy on

Comments

• I used to post lots of these using red/cyan filters inc gifs and videos but too many people complained it hurts.

I mostly do the sidebyside ones though and cross my eyes.

That way one can choose how to view them.

I like looking at stereoscopic images myself and actually wish the DAZ viewport had the option like many other softwares do, though I can do it in Octane with that viewport open.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

I'm totally taken by stereoscopic outputs and wish folks would post more. I happily do crosseyed-side-by-side as second nature, and for the life-of-me can't to parallel-side-by-side - my head doesn't do that... but I also keep a pair of red-cyan glasses next to the screen for gems like the ones above!

Very cool work, and feel free to post more! We can't keep everyone happy around here, but with the right topic, let those that wish... enter at their own risk!

Thanks for posting these and any others are encouraged! The second (overlooking the horses) is especially effective!

cheers,

--ms

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,826
    th3Digit said:

I used to post lots of these using red/cyan filters inc gifs and videos but too many people complained it hurts.

I mostly do the sidebyside ones though and cross my eyes.

Feel free to post links to your renders or the renders themselves if you'd like. I'd be interested in seeing them.

I have noticed if the red-cyan images aren't aligned just right, you find your eyes fighting the image. That camera rig from zaz777 gave me better results than my own attempts.

I wish I could do the crossed eye view but have never managed it, even following detailed instructions found online. 

mindsong said:

I'm totally taken by stereoscopic outputs and wish folks would post more. I happily do crosseyed-side-by-side as second nature, and for the life-of-me can't to parallel-side-by-side - my head doesn't do that... but I also keep a pair of red-cyan glasses next to the screen for gems like the ones above!

Very cool work, and feel free to post more! We can't keep everyone happy around here, but with the right topic, let those that wish... enter at their own risk!

Thanks for posting these and any others are encouraged! The second (overlooking the horses) is especially effective!

cheers,

--ms

Thanks! I liked that second image too. Feel free to post any images you have.

• so long since I posted one its probably on the old forum > <

video playlist

That's a good one. I bet that took a long time to render. 

• Thankyou

is first in a playlist silly forum embedded it

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL396D0A55B0F92547

Thanks for the longer list of videos. I liked how you had the vegetation moving in the CGI garden and the flame animation in carrying a torch.