Where can I find the Landscape Wizard?

I have opened Carrara and under New Document the Landscape Wizard is not available for selection. How do I find the Landscape Wizard and install it?

Comments

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

You dont have to install it -it is part of Carrara.

Whenyou start Carrara the Browser Tray should be visible. Open the "scenes" tab. Here you find many premade terraines.Select one drag it into your workspace.

In the Tray on the right select the instances tab and click on "terraine" This will open the editor.Note when this happens you are in the model room.

Alternatively - when Carrar starts just select the "Terraine Icon" from the toolbar and drag it into your workspace.

You should also read the manual on creating terrains.

Hope this gets you Started -cheers 

• vindazivindazi Posts: 667
    0oseven said:

You dont have to install it -it is part of Carrara.

Whenyou start Carrara the Browser Tray should be visible. Open the "scenes" tab. Here you find many premade terraines.Select one drag it into your workspace.

In the Tray on the right select the instances tab and click on "terraine" This will open the editor.Note when this happens you are in the model room.

Alternatively - when Carrar starts just select the "Terraine Icon" from the toolbar and drag it into your workspace.

You should also read the manual on creating terrains.

Hope this gets you Started -cheers 

That didn't happen for me. That spot is blank. One gray square.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Make sure your "native content" is installed correctly.

If it is, then when you start a new scene, you get the option of starting the landscape wizard

hh03 native content.JPG
    679 x 676 - 66K
    hh01 new scene.JPG
    1920 x 1014 - 143K
    hh02 landscape wizard.JPG
    1919 x 972 - 147K
  • it may be a separate download if I recall

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

yes,. it's part of the "native content" for carrara,. it's not needed in the "core" program.

you can open a large / medium or small scene and insert a new terrain, then edit it in the terrain editor,. to manually create your own,.

then you can select a terrain shader,(or make your own). and sky's etc to create your own landscape.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 2017

I have tried it with the Install Wizard. That's not working for me. How do I install it manually after downloading?  BTW, I am on a Mac, using C-8.5 running on OS 10.11.

Post edited by vindazi on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 2017

Did you read my reply in Lost Landscape Wizard?

vindazi said:

I have tried it with the Install Wizard. That's not working for me. How do I install it manually after downloading?  BTW, I am on a Mac, using C-8.5 running on OS 10.11.

To install it manually, go to your Daz account under Product Library and type Carrara into the search box.

1. Locate: Carrara 8 Native Content
    2. Click on it
    3. It will open to a means to either download manually or use DIM
    4. For you, Download: C8 - Native Content (Mac) 184.80 MB

If you haven't downloaded the Carrara 8.5 Native Content or Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content, get both of those too. But the Carrara 8 Native Content is the one with the Wizard and all of the goodies it needs, along with a whole world of yummy Carrara goodness yes

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I'm sorry that I can't help you install it on a Mac. 

In Windows, we'll get a zip file. It's the same thing that DIM would download if done through that, so it's set up the same way, which in this case is as follows:

Two folders and a Manifest.dsx file. Ignore the dsx file - it's only there to instruct DIM what to do*

Carrara_8.5 folder - in Windows, we open this folder and in another folder, navigate to the installation directory of Carrara, and drag the contents of this folder into the Carrara main directory. It's all set up to go directly where it should go.

Content folder - Same as above except that this goes into where you install your Daz Studio (Genesis) content. By default in Windows it's Public Documents > My Daz3d Library

* I feel it's a bummer that you're unable to use DIM. It helps in so many ways: finding stuff you can't rmember where or maybe what it is, uninstalling stuff and relocating it to a different directory, getting notified (only when "we" log into it - it's not invasive) of updates for anything we've installed with it, and a lot more.

edited December 2017

I managed to get it installed. However I am not sure I have done it correctly because when I click on presets I don't get a completed scene. I get this.

BTW, I am watchinh your video on using Carrara. Thanks for the effort on the video.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 5.02.48 PM.png
    3436 x 1996 - 898K

Beautiful! Now hit Cmd + R and watch it come to life! ;)

FYI, Volumetric Clouds cannot be seen until rendered. Too, the Realistic Sky atmosphere being used in this scene must be rendered to be seen.

To see the ground shader a bit better, see that little glowing white ball at the top right of the screen image you uploaded? Clicking on the one just to the right of it will put you in "Texture Shaded" mode. 

I personally like the mode you're on now because it keeps my workflow zippy. But it took me years to feel that way. I always had to keep mine on Textured mode, even if I had to wait a bit for it to refresh.

After all that, Texture mode in this scene shouldn't slow you down at all. Only when you start filling it up with a bunch of stuff! LOL

edited December 2017

As I am trying things in Carrara it seems to be quite buggy on the Mac. For example it will not quit except throught the "force quit" option in the finder. Are any other Mac users havng issues? Could I just have the wrong settings on the Mac or Carrara?

Okay, that little glowing white ball.

Scan your eyes to the left of it to see an upward-pointing arrow with a circle around it. 

This is your Interactive Preview Settings panel. Click that.

The pop-up dialogue will allow you to change all manner of things with your "Working" preview, meaning the view you took your screenshot of. This "Working View" is what we see as we work. When I always insisted upon having Textured mode on, I went into that and made the max texture size 512x512 to keep it from getting too burdened by an overwhelming number of extra-large maps. People use 4K maps on everything these days and I even just got a product that uses 8K maps!

This is great for extra-nice renders, but it can get heavy on the working view after we get too many of these things packed into our RAM.

Here's a great hint in that regard:

If you use content from the store, like Genesis or Vehicles, whatever... and you like to load a few into a scene, try getting used to this one practice:

Edit > Remove Unused Masters

• Remove Unused Objects (if you've deleted an object)
    • Remove Unused Shaders (if you've deleted an object)
    • Consolidate Duplicate Shaders (This one! Use this Often!!!)

They're all important if we're working on a heavy scene. Heavy can mean a lot of polygons, huge texture maps (even if our working view is set to minimize them in our view), particle and/or physics calculations, etc.,

When we load content from the Daz Studio or Poser libraraies, it doesn't matter what it is - the best next thing to do is to Consolidate Duplicate Shaders. 

Almost every figure or prop has multiple Material Zones - otherwise called Domains. When loading into Carrara, each separate Material Zone gets its own Shader. But more often than not, many of these shaders are absolutley identical to others that use the same maps. Consolidate Duplicate Shaders changes that and makes your figure more efficient, while also making it easier for you to make edits ;)

• vindazi said:

As I am trying things in Carrara it seems to be quite buggy on the Mac. For example it will not quit except throught the "force quit" option in the finder. Are any other Mac users havng issues? Could I just have the wrong settings on the Mac or Carrara?

I use Carrara on a Mac and there are some bugs, it crashes once in a while. I don’t have an issue quitting. Make sure you are running the 64-bit version.