Another 'How Do I...' For Carrara 8.5 Pro

staticstatic Posts: 325
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I was working yesterday with Carrara again, after rebuilding broken folders, and I loaded a clothing article, don't recall which right now but it was pretty standard Studio stuff. Nothing experimental or jpg-only, or even off-site creator. It was a DAZ 3D item, I know that.
Anyway, when the thing loaded in Carrara, there was now 'texture' to it, just a gray-scale model. Is it supposed to do that? I have been doing so many Tutorials from various places, that I can't recall if this is normal and I just missed a step, or if something has gone wrong.
I'm really trying to get a foot-hold on Carrara, but I keep hitting unexpected road blocks.
I thought that anything you could load into Studio was supposed to load into Carrara just as completely.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I was working yesterday with Carrara again, after rebuilding broken folders, and I loaded a clothing article, don't recall which right now but it was pretty standard Studio stuff. Nothing experimental or jpg-only, or even off-site creator. It was a DAZ 3D item, I know that.
    Anyway, when the thing loaded in Carrara, there was now 'texture' to it, just a gray-scale model. Is it supposed to do that? I have been doing so many Tutorials from various places, that I can't recall if this is normal and I just missed a step, or if something has gone wrong.
    I'm really trying to get a foot-hold on Carrara, but I keep hitting unexpected road blocks.
    I thought that anything you could load into Studio was supposed to load into Carrara just as completely.

The more accurate way to say it would be that almost anything. D/S shaders don't transfer. Poser shaders will to a point. Meaning there will usually be some adjustments that need to be made. Since many of the things available for D/S (especially through the DAZ store) use image maps, you could try and build the shaders from the included textures manually.

There may be a quicker way. You haven't mentioned how you brought the object in or from where. Did you load it using the Carrara Content browser? If so, look under Pose for the Mat files. These will be the Poser materials. If they've been installed correctly. you should be able to just select the top level of figure in the Instances and then double click the icon for the mat file.

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

Ok, I'm gonna sound dumb, but where is this pose? Are you talking about a tab, or the pose for the clothes, or...

Let me back up. I figured out what outfit it was.
    In the Browser Tab, I selected the Content Tab, then I went to People>>Genesis>>Clothing>>Female Business Suit.
    I dragged each article onto the 'Actor' Bar in the Instances Tab.
    Now it's Greyscale, and I cant get the Materials to do anything. I guess I don't know where to put them.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Well you are doing that the hard way, with genesis selected all you have to do i double click the clothes in the browser, they will load and fit to genesis.

Note, you would drop them on genesis not actor.

If the clothes load with out prompts to find missing textures, that is the way they are supposed to load. Clothing "mat"s or materials will be found in the genesis's pose folder; usually listed under the clothing item name, PA's name or "MAT" and the name. Yes it can be a PITA but that isn't carrara's fault ;) {I could be wrong though, and the may be in the my library runtime pose folder.}
    Select the clothes in the sequencer, apply pose. But to do the shaders yourself select the actor in the clothes, and go to the shader room.

Personally I'm not using genesis as much as I would like. I haven't bought any genesis clothes because I was led to believe I could use mil 4 clothes on genesis with autofit, and bought the mil 3 morphs so I could use those clothes as well. Don't believe it. My two big issues with it are breast tuck and back out. {yes, I know, and try using that morph with a see through blouse :P }

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, can't help with Genesis. I'm not on 8.5. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out. You could try PMing Dartanbeck or someone like that if you don't get anymore response here.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Well you are doing that the hard way, with genesis selected all you have to do i double click the clothes in the browser, they will load and fit to genesis.

Note, you would drop them on genesis not actor.

If the clothes load with out prompts to find missing textures, that is the way they are supposed to load. Clothing "mat"s or materials will be found in the genesis's pose folder; usually listed under the clothing item name, PA's name or "MAT" and the name. Yes it can be a PITA but that isn't carrara's fault ;)
    Select the clothes in the sequencer, apply pose. But to do the shaders yourself select the actor in the clothes, and go to the shader room.

Personally I'm not using genesis as much as I would like. I haven't bought any genesis clothes because I was led to believe I could use mil 4 clothes on genesis with autofit, and bought the mil 3 morphs so I could use those clothes as well. Don't believe it.

Thanks for helping the OP out Manstan!

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This sort of confusion can be expected. DAZ is still using a mix of file formats in studio. DSF and DUF work fine in carrara; most of the time. other Studio formats don't. Most all poser formats work, and is how most of us have been using content in carrara. Using the Studio my library folder is new; and I think every one knows my opinion of it :coolmad:

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

The folder you use for storing content is irrelevant.

The process you use for loading content into a program is relevant.

Try double clicking on an item's thumbnail image in tyhe browser, to load it into the scene, instead of drag/drop.
    If you have a Figure "Selected" in the scene,. then you load a clothing or hair item,. that item will be automatically "Fitted" to the selected figure,

Many Items, (especially for genesis) come with a default "grey" shader, and the materials need to be applied to the item.
    Genesis, for example: loads into DS or Carrara as an untextured model (default grey)

If you select the main figure,.(clothing is also a figure) then the Smart Content tab in Carrara, should change, to show you the materials or "poses" which can be applied to the selected item. (see pic)

hope it helps

b25_mats.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 237K