How much time do I have? (tech issue)

My laptop's screen has lost about half of its brightness.  I am getting by right now by connecting to an old stand-alone monitor.  Is this the beginning of the end?

Comments

• Did you have any updates recently? 

I had an update at one point change all my power saving settings and the monitor brightness was one of those that got changed.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks.  I will have to double check.  I don't recall any major rcent updates

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

OMG - that was it!!!!!!!

Thank you.

MDO2010 said:

Did you have any updates recently? 

I had an update at one point change all my power saving settings and the monitor brightness was one of those that got changed.

• Nice! Glad you got it fixed. laugh

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited September 2017

I'm glad it turned out to be nothing, but I also wanted to point out how cheap and easy it is to simply replace your laptop screen if it goes out.  Don't think you have to buy a new computer or pay someone hundreds of dollars, instead you can get a replacement screen for around $40  (or maybe a lot less if you get lucky) on ebay, then simply do a youtube search by your laptop model for 'replace screen' and you'll usually find a vid showing how to do it (or at least one for a similar model, and the process is pretty close to the same).  It won't take 10 minutes to do (probably a lot less) and you'll be amazed how quick and easy it is to replace a screen yourself.  My sister dropped her laptop not long ago and she actually was using a plug in to her tv to be able to use the computer (a real pain for her) she was surprised how quick and cheap it was for me to do a swap out for a new screen.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i am grootsmiley

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I am groot and so's my wife! cheeky

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i am groot smileylaughi am groot yescooli am groot