Poser 10 Libraries empty

Recently uploaded Poser 10 on my new HP Omen desktop PC.  The programs launches fine. I'm able to download new content. I follow the process of installing new files from the content tab and clicking on Install from Zip Archieve button.  The files seem to upload fine.  However, when I go to refresh the download library there is nothing.  

I read on another blog that new PC operating systems required one to launch Poser 10 in administrator mode to download new files. That didn't work either.

Help.

Comments

• Running as admin is not, in general, a good diea as it can create permission issuse for the future. What content are you installing? I've never used the install option in Poser, I'm not sure how fussy it is about folder structure in the zips.

• I'm installing purchased content from DAZ, as well as, free content from other sites.  They download as zip files.  As I stated above I follow the normal upload procedure.  They show up when I do a search of my computer files, I just can't see them in my Poser library.

Thanks for any assistance.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Strangely enough my Poser 8 has just lost it's libraries.   THey were fine last time I used it.   I am wondering if it is something that happened in a MS windows update

• Here's what my library looks like.  As can be seen I've create a couple runtimes.  Nothing works.

library snip.PNG
    327 x 314 - 23K

you have more than me.  Mine doesn't show any libraries.

• Are you sure the installation through Poser hasn't added an extra Content folder between Downloads and Runtime?

• wassean_1fcf286464wassean_1fcf286464 Posts: 21
    edited September 2017

Hey Richard,  I'm not sure what that means. Sorry.   I went to create a runtime and I created the Poser 10 and second runtime libraries.  But when I go to refresh these libraries it turns up nothing.  I've downloaded the files several times, but still can't get them to show up in the libraries.

Post edited by wassean_1fcf286464 on
  • Hey Richard,  I'm not sure what that means. Sorry.   I went to create a runtime and I created the Poser 10 and second runtime libraries.  But when I go to refresh these libraries it turns up nothing.  I've downloaded the files several times, but still can't get them to show up in the libraries.

If you go to the Downloads folder that you are isntalling to with a file window, Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, does it contain a sub-folder named content - and does that folder than have its own Runtime folder?

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

Where did you install your Poser 10 content?  If you installed it to the C:/Program Files heirarchy you will not be able to install new content due to Windows' User Access Control.

Otherwise, if the issue happens with DAZ content, you cannot install it properly through  the Content tab because DAZ' zip files are set up for DAZ Studio.  You will need to drag the contents of the Content directory up one level...

• Richard and Wand, 

Here is a screen capture of the download folder and the program files folder.  I downloaded the files from the download file and used the program files heirarchy in Poser 10 to create the runtime.

Last night I realized that each of the files in question are Daz files and that I had not downloaded them with the Daz Install manager.  I did that last night.  Do I now need to set up a runtime to the DAZ files? If so, which file needs to be the runtime?

Download folder.PNG
    818 x 227 - 25K
    Program Files.PNG
    742 x 667 - 64K
  • WandW said:
    Otherwise, if the issue happens with DAZ content, you cannot install it properly through  the Content tab because DAZ' zip files are set up for DAZ Studio.  You will need to drag the contents of the Content directory up one level...

They are set up for DIM, the extra Content folder in the path, not Daz Studio, which has the same requirements for folder structure in Poser format content as Poser.

• Richard, Thanks for all your help.  Unfortunately, I'm not understanding the process.  I understand that DAZ files have to be uploaded differently and I somewhat follow what WandW is saying.  But the question I have is where is the "Content directory?" and what does drag the contents "up one level" mean?  I assume it means to another file but which one?

Thanks again for your help.

• What I realize I need is a webpage, fact sheet, or video with step by step instruction on how to get the DAZ content into Poser.  Is there anything like that on the web?

I install manually,   I unzip to a temp foplder anf the drag and drop the contents of the runtime folder into which ever runtime I want it to go in.   The contents of the folder,  not the folder itself.

Richard and Wand, 

Here is a screen capture of the download folder and the program files folder.  I downloaded the files from the download file and used the program files heirarchy in Poser 10 to create the runtime.

You can't have your content anywhere under Program Files in Windows versions newer than XP.  It just wont work as only programs can write there.   Poser by default will install the content in a location that works, unless it is told to put it elsewhere.

Create a folder somewhere outside of Program Files, such as in c:\ or in your Documents, install some content there, then add it to Poser's Library as an external runtime folder; check the last section here for how todo this in Poser 10...
    https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982178-installing-poser-content-from-previous-poser-versions?b_id=8847

By moving it up one level, I mean moving the contents of the Content folder into the same directory that the Content is in.

I install my DAZ content with DAZ Install Manager.  I added the folder it installs to to the Poser Library.  

I unzip to a temp foplder anf the drag and drop the contents of the runtime folder into which ever runtime I want it to go in.   The contents of the folder,  not the folder itself.

This works great for classical Poser content, but for DSON content you will be only copying over the Poser Companion files, not the actual content.  In that case you will need to copy the contents of the folder that contains the folder named 'runtime'  to the desired folder in the Poser Library that contains the folder named 'runtime'...

• wassean_1fcf286464wassean_1fcf286464 Posts: 21
    edited September 2017

Unfortunately, I just don't seem smart enough to follow your instructions.  I created a folder on my desktop and created one on my external drive.  I created runtimes to each of these folders one titled poser content, another runtime. Still a third to the DAZ folder in my programs folder.  Nothing turned up in my Poser libraries.  I really don't know what I'm doing. Do I need to unzip the files first? 

Post edited by wassean_1fcf286464 on
  • You need to set up a folder to use for your content, not in program Files or any other protected location

You need to add that folder to Poser's list of libraries by clicking the folder with a + icon

You need to place the runtime from the zip in that folder (once you've done one you will be asked if you want to merge them with the existing folder for others - say yes)

That should be it

• My Poser 2014 content library has stopped working since updating Internet Explorer. ANY help would be much appreciated! Flash Player updated too so that might have something to do with it.

My Poser 2014 content library has stopped working since updating Internet Explorer. ANY help would be much appreciated! Flash Player updated too so that might have something to do with it.

If it's IE 11 you upgraded to, you need to have the latest Service Release, available at the SM website...