Victoria 7 to Victoria 8

6 Weeks ago I bought Victoria 7. Today I have purchased Victoria 8 Pro Bundle, because the product description said, it will be downward compatible. This is not the case and many bought packages are not compatible, for example the female body morphs. Don't ask me which Genesis version this affects, I just don't look through all these model types and versions.
Please consider upgrading minor versions for free, especially when product descriptions lead to wrong expectations!
Your products are pretty expensive (even as Platinum Member) and I am disappointed that I have to spend so much money to get the same functionality back I had with Victoria 7.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

That is not what downward compatibility means. It means you can use genesis 7 skins on G8 and autofit G7 clothing. Morphs are never compatible natively, you will either need to wait for an addon to make this happen or try hacking it yourself.

You can return any product within 30 days for a refund

• Thank you for answering. Seems I have to stick with Victoria 7 (is she Genesis 7 or 3?) when refunding 8.
    But my preferred way would be to refund all the 7's packages, but they are 2 weeks over the 30 days :(((
    Besides my dilemma - can you suggest any good resources describing this hacking process you mentioned?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176271/morphs-from-g3-to-g8/p1 it's a long thread and a couple of ways to do it, but apparently the script by Singular Blues works fairly well. I say 'hacking" because it's not a DAZ official way of doing it and some users have had issues, so just an FYI

• Need to quit my daily job for this huuge thread ;) Thanks again, will read through and try something promising.

getting rid of my 50 cents... writing it down takes a bit of frustration :)
    Still cannot believe that DAZ is throwing new Generations on the market, take quite amounts of money and don't offer any migration kits along...
    Its a general philosophy so many companies are doing. You pay for products and then u have to fiddle with them for yourself to get the quality one expected in the first place.
    This especially bites when you are a long-term customer across product generations. New customers might be bitten as well when upgrading to upcoming gens.
    But who knows, maybe some product manager reads this and takes action. cool

Good thing to mention is the community which seems to be great and patient!

might report later, maybe weekend, if I had success converting something
    so long.. keep it up!

• Daz does offer tools to help - AutoFit in Genesis 8 will convert clothing from all previous Genesis figures (with the usual caveats about the conversion process) and will use textures from the previous generation (3). Morphs can be converted, there's a long thread on the topic, but it isn't an automatic process and doesn't cover HD morphs.

• One thing to understand; the person that created the DAZ Studio plugin that enabled morphs to be transferred from one generation to another (Generation X is the plugin) died within the past 6 months and as far as I know no one has started on a replacement plugin to do the same with the newest morphs.

• nono Posts: 43
    plng11 said:

Need to quit my daily job for this huuge thread ;) Thanks again, will read through and try something promising.

getting rid of my 50 cents... writing it down takes a bit of frustration :)
    Still cannot believe that DAZ is throwing new Generations on the market, take quite amounts of money and don't offer any migration kits along...
    Its a general philosophy so many companies are doing. You pay for products and then u have to fiddle with them for yourself to get the quality one expected in the first place.
    This especially bites when you are a long-term customer across product generations. New customers might be bitten as well when upgrading to upcoming gens.
    But who knows, maybe some product manager reads this and takes action. cool

Good thing to mention is the community which seems to be great and patient!

might report later, maybe weekend, if I had success converting something
    so long.. keep it up!

Definitely try Singular Blues' script first. It's a painless process, and in my experience the results have been great. Here is their post in that thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2707576/#Comment_2707576

If you want to use Victoria 7's maps on G8F however, I think you would need to buy this, as V7 uses a custom UV set: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

• Note that when you run SB's script, it will transfer all morphs from a folder. So for instance when transferring a character it will usually do both the head and body morphs you do not have to do them separately. Same for morph packs, they will all go together. Check the log after to see what the script transferred.