Hexagon 3D program - a few ideas ...

tomislaawtomislaaw Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Hello to all!

I love 3D Hexagon program. It's very delightful and powerful program.
But, I would like to see a fix patches in near future. Why?

Because it often crashes during creating. I hope for more stability of this program in next of fix patch. :)

Ideas ...

It would be great if you can include in this program - UV Horizontal / Vertical mirrors - or I can't find this option?
Like in Carrara (obj. otpions), it would be great too if you can include in this program (in obj. import / export options) smoothing groups that program can re-calculate normals of game characters. See this problem: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/292704/

In Carrara with turned on Smoothing groups I didn't had problems with visible seams, but in Hexagon I have.

Add FBX import / export if you can.

Please, if you can include it that I can create clothing items. :)

Thank you to all & greetings to develompents.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,060
    edited December 1969

Why would you want FBX when Hexagon doesn't have any rigging, it's a pure modeller?

People do use it for creating clothes - but again, it's a pure modeller so the rigging is done elsewhere.

• tomislaawtomislaaw Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

FBX isn't maybe so needed. I noticed that I hadn't problems with seams when I use FBX import. But, I think that I can import obj meshes if I have smoothing groups like in Carrara. :)

I use it also for creating hairs, not only clothing.
    If I want modeling some clothing for game The Sims 3 (i can use some needed parts of character's body, for example - feets, hands, etc...), but how I can use it in game if seams are visible? This is just example.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Smoothing is in HEX and you can smooth by Group if you set up the mesh Groups before you Smooth. And you Smooth before you UV map not AFTER. Then the textures will map properly. If not the issue is not HEX but the program you loaded the mesh into.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited April 2013

tomislaaw said:
    Hello to all!

I love 3D Hexagon program. It's very delightful and powerful program.
    But, I would like to see a fix patches in near future. Why?

Because it often crashes during creating. I hope for more stability of this program in next of fix patch. :)

Ideas ...

It would be great if you can include in this program - UV Horizontal / Vertical mirrors - or I can't find this option?
    Like in Carrara (obj. otpions), it would be great too if you can include in this program (in obj. import / export options) smoothing groups that program can re-calculate normals of game characters. See this problem: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/292704/

In Carrara with turned on Smoothing groups I didn't had problems with visible seams, but in Hexagon I have.

Add FBX import / export if you can.

Please, if you can include it that I can create clothing items. :)

Thank you to all & greetings to develompents.

Hi, by uv horizontal /vertical mirrors do you mean cloning an object along different axis?

If so you can use Symmetry to do this. I recently used it to create a mirror opposite of a head prop. On the iPad at the moment and I cant remember the tab it's on but if that's what you're after I can post it later when I boot the computer up.

I don't have many crashes with Hex...I'm using Win7 on an i7. My main problem is when using the softening tool I get validation errors but I save and reboot which generally fixes that.

Jaderail, all the posts I've seen on uv mapping suggest doing it early so it's easier to do ( less polys). Personally I don't use Hex for uv mapping as its very easy to get problems and lose the mapping so I prefer to use a different program.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Jaderail, all the posts I've seen on uv mapping suggest doing it early so it's easier to do ( less polys). Personally I don't use Hex for uv mapping as its very easy to get problems and lose the mapping so I prefer to use a different program.
    You are correct I admit my error. I forgot the proper Hex UV method because like you I prefer to use a different UV mapper also.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Pendraia said:
    You are correct I admit my error. I forgot the proper Hex UV method because like you I prefer to use a different UV mapper also.

No problem...: ) In Hex you can lose the mapping so easily that it's not always possible to do it that way anyhow.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    tomislaaw said:
    Hello to all!

IIt would be great if you can include in this program - UV Horizontal / Vertical mirrors - or I can't find this option?

Hi, by uv horizontal /vertical mirrors do you mean cloning an object along different axis?

If so you can use Symmetry to do this. I recently used it to create a mirror opposite of a head prop. On the iPad at the moment and I cant remember the tab it's on but if that's what you're after I can post it later when I boot the computer up.

I'm at my computer now so here goes.

If you click on the vertex modelling tab, there is an icon for Symmetry. When you click on it a menu comes up in the property tab. It gives you the choice of axis that you can choose from.

For my prop as I had modelled the left side I clicked on the -x axis. This created a mirror image of the item I had modelled.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

edited December 1969

Thank you to all for answers.
    I will explain my problem via screenshot.

I use model from game The Sims 3. So, it's automatic UVMapped and it's not recommended to edit UV Map.
    If it's possible, you can show how I can get mesh of model without showing seams on body.

In Milkshape who is needed for The Sims 3 (due re-assigning bones), model looks:

Picture 1.: http://i47.tinypic.com/72y70y.png

In Carrara, with turn off smoothing groups in .obj import options:

Picture 2.: http://i48.tinypic.com/169nqsm.png

So, seams are visible, but ...

with turn on smoothing groups before importing in Carrara:

Picture 3.: http://i47.tinypic.com/2v0eid1.png

Great! That's what I need!

How I can get this result from Picture 3. in Hexagon?

Picture 4.: http://i45.tinypic.com/1j2mmf.png

Seams are visible.

I know that Hex has smoothing, but I need smooth mesh with same number of faces.

• misssusan002misssusan002 Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Why would you want FBX when Hexagon doesn't have any rigging, it's a pure modeller?

People do use it for creating clothes - but again, it's a pure modeller so the rigging is done elsewhere.

You know rigging would be so nice in hexagon I could really have some great fun with that in hex then . Any chances they could do that in hex ?

Sue

edited December 1969

tomislaaw said:
    Thank you to all for answers.
    I will explain my problem via screenshot.

I use model from game The Sims 3. So, it's automatic UVMapped and it's not recommended to edit UV Map.
    If it's possible, you can show how I can get mesh of model without showing seams on body.

In Milkshape who is needed for The Sims 3 (due re-assigning bones), model looks:

Picture 1.: http://i47.tinypic.com/72y70y.png

In Carrara, with turn off smoothing groups in .obj import options:

Picture 2.: http://i48.tinypic.com/169nqsm.png

So, seams are visible, but ...

with turn on smoothing groups before importing in Carrara:

Picture 3.: http://i47.tinypic.com/2v0eid1.png

Great! That's what I need!

How I can get this result from Picture 3. in Hexagon?

Picture 4.: http://i45.tinypic.com/1j2mmf.png

Seams are visible.

I know that Hex has smoothing, but I need smooth mesh with same number of faces.

I'm not sure if it can be done in Hex.

In properties is where you will find the smoothing. If you click on the one it will add one level of smoothing.
    The polys increase though you can't see the mesh increasing in size unless you click on the lightning icon in Dynamic Geometry.

So I'm not sure if that will work for what you are trying to achieve.

I think that what you are looking for is more akin to adding a smoothing modifier in DS which I don't think Hex has...happy for someone with more knowledge to tell me that I'm wrong though.

edited April 2013

Pendraia,

you're right, I think.
    I just need that mesh is smooth after importing in Hex.
    Hex need smooth angle in .obj import / export options. That's all.

I can use smooth groups in hex, but it will increase a number of faces.

Post edited by tomislaaw on
    edited April 2013

tomislaaw said:
    Pendraia,

you're right, I think.
    I just need that mesh is smooth after importing in Hex.
    Hex need smooth angle in .obj import / export options. That's all.

I can use smooth groups in hex, but it will increase a number of faces.

What program are you planning on rendering this in? Is it possible to do the smoothing in that program?

That is what I would do...I would add it in DS as that is the program I use to render.

Just checked earlier posts and realised you are planning on using the items in the Sims. If you need to add the rigging for items, what program would you use? Is it possible to do the type of smoothing you require in that?

Also wanted to add I don't believe what you're seeing is caused by uv's . I think what you're seeing is the edge of the poly

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • misssusan002misssusan002 Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

You know rigging would be so nice in hexagon I could really have some great fun with that in hex then . Any chances they could do that in hex ?

Sue

So is there any free software out there where you can rig a model and make it into a figure then and still be able to use it in daz other than blender. Some thing that is simple and easy to use?

Sue

edited December 1969

Sue

So is there any free software out there where you can rig a model and make it into a figure then and still be able to use it in daz other than blender. Some thing that is simple and easy to use?

Sue
    Most of the free modellers that I can think of only do modelling I think Blender may be the only one that does rigging also. I understand how you might feel about it. It makes my brain melt when I've tried in the past...that said it is probably the most viable option to take something from modelling through rigging. Most of the modding community use it if they can't afford one of the higher end programs.

I've been seriously considering downloading the latest version to have a look at its cloth capabilities...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    I've been seriously considering downloading the latest version to have a look at its cloth capabilities...

Do...they are SWEEEEEEEEET....

I am a Blender user...have been for years. Yes, it takes a while to learn, but even after all this time, I'm using a fraction of what it is capable of. It's the most 'complete' of the free items and possibly even more versatile than the 'big boys' of the paid for apps.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:

Do...they are SWEEEEEEEEET....

I am a Blender user...have been for years. Yes, it takes a while to learn, but even after all this time, I'm using a fraction of what it is capable of. It's the most 'complete' of the free items and possibly even more versatile than the 'big boys' of the paid for apps.

That's what I thought...I have tried previously and haven't been able to get past the interface but I have heard that it has improved in recent versions. I was hoping to get Modo but at the moment I doubt that I will ever be able to afford it.