Install Manager missing (stuck in Background Processes)... processing.

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Running DAZ 3d Install Manager... it asks for Admin, then doesn't show up. In Task Manager, it's in Background Processes operating at 14% CPU (even after hours, so it's not trying to find something across all drives). Nothing shows up visually - nothing in taskbar.

I tried reinstalling it - no help. The only recent change was that I copied all my poser content (Daz3D and downloads and purchases) into my Poser Runtime folder so V-morphs work (which do better than before now).

Help?
Thanks,

Comments

• edited December 1969

So, this is still happening - zero UI. Anyone?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I don't use the DIM but it is a standalone program so moving your contnet shouldn't effect anything. But as to why DIM is not providing a UI I don't know sorry.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The DIM is a 32 bit program. If you have installed it to a 64 bit only folder you should install it again with the default install path. Other than that I have no Idea why it should not open with a UI or run in Background as if Open 24/7.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Jim :)

Can you give a run-down of your system spec.

Mac or PC,.. which OS version etc..

it's really strange that there's no UI showing up at all,. it could be related to system spec,. but more likely (User account privileges),

if you;'ve just installed the program,. (whether you're an existing user,.. or this is your first time buying 3D content) DIM should install and allow you to select a location to download your content ,.. or will use the "default" paths for content,..

It doesn't search all your drives, or access networks, looking for content. until you've opened the application and selected a user account to download from, entered a password, and Logged in to your store account.

Once you open the program,. and connect to your store Account,......
    then it'll look at the default folders to see what's there, and check with the Daz Store to see what products are available for you to download and install.

Also,... when a product like DIM is released,... if hundreds of customers suddenly report the same issue,. then it's likely that there's an issue in the program.,.. if most people are using it without issue,. but one person reports an issue,. then it's less likely to be an issue with the program, but more likely that the issue is endemic to that customer's system,.. so,.. your systems specification could help..

but,.. unless you've custom built your hardware,. it's likely that other users may have almost identical systems,..
    in which case,.. you need to look at what other programs may also cause an issue,... including your operating system...

For Example :: On Windows 7,.. You can be the user,.. but not the Administrator,.. and installing , and running programs requires you to be the "Administrator" otherwise they will not allow (the normal user) to install,. open, or use the program.

One thought,.. right click the application icon and choose "run as Administrator"

the more I think about this the more it points towards "User accounts" and not being the Administrator,
    You say it asks for admin,.. were you logged in as Admin when it was installed,. ?

Also,.. when you say you copied all your Daz Content and downloads to your runtime folder,.. does that include downloaded installers and Zip archives ?

The only files which should ever be placed in your runtime folders are (installed products)
    not downloaded installers or zip archives.

If you have a problem with morphs not working ,. then it's usually because they're installed to the wrong location,.. (uninstalling and re-installing to the correct location will fix this)

Grabbing a load of files and moving them to the same folder, ....may actually fix the issue,.
    but may cause other issues,. BUT,..none of those would affect the ability for DIM to open and Run,.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have installed DIM in User mode and it asks me to Allow when opening each time but it does open and work...I just don't use it. :)

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited April 2013

This happened on my system. Upon DIM launch (after UAC prompt and accept) , the app goes into cyberspace with only the DIM process running in the background. No UI appears. There is NO un hidden on the desktop, and cant be accessed accessed by alt-tab. After messing with it for hours I was able to reinstall and get DIM to work, It took full uninstalls _ugh of everything DAZ, and most ket clearing out the programsx86/common/daz/dim32(whatever).ini
    But the problem returned when I installed Carrara and its accompanying content... havent been able to re-fix, cause the fix is so extreme.
    Were are not alone in this, others have experienced. One common denominator maybe where PUBLIC USERS is located (if its not on C:) . My public users is on E: (external raid storage) and was migrated after Windows install. It seems to be a problematic situation.
    Update Disabling UAC all together is not the fix. The app is trying to find something.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I've been looking into it and someone at DAZ 3D has encountered this, something about a missing dzinstall.ini file --trying to track down the solution.

edited December 1969

Okay, here's the solution: find dzinstall.ini (it should be someplace like Program Files\Common or AppData -- make sure your OS is set to display hidden and system folders). If there's a section with the header [ApplicationPath] with nothing in it, remove that header.

This has been fixed in the development build, but that version isn't available yet.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Thanks FixMyPCMike for the info. I found DZINSTALL.INI in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\DAZ folder, however removing that line or even renaming DZINSTALL did not fix ,my situation. One observation is that I think the failure is during install, causing installation to be incomplete: When comparing the DIM installation on system with a working installation on my laptop, I see that a folder DAZ3D with _unpopulated_ subdirs: "ManifestFiles, "Settings", "UserAccounts" in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ3D\DAZ3DIM1\
    So it seems like the installs botch and that it does not finish configuration and delete the installation packaging.
    Hope the production version coming out addresses this.

edited December 1969

Thanks FixMyPCMike for the info. I found DZINSTALL.INI in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\DAZ folder, however removing that line or even renaming DZINSTALL did not fix ,my situation. One observation is that I think the failure is during install, causing installation to be incomplete: When comparing the DIM installation on system with a working installation on my laptop, I see that a folder DAZ3D with _unpopulated_ subdirs: "ManifestFiles, "Settings", "UserAccounts" in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ3D\DAZ3DIM1\
    So it seems like the installs botch and that it does not finish configuration and delete the installation packaging.
    Hope the production version coming out addresses this.

Yes, I see in the ChangeLog that it's been fixed for future versions.