Lip sync genesis in Carrara 8.5 pro

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited October 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Hi.  I have Mimic Pro for Carrara.  

Are we able to create lip syncs of Genesis (1) in Carrara?

I loaded a genesis figure and added a .wav file to the scene.

Then hit the Mimic tab, load dmc button, and  loaded the genesis.dmc file from preogram files/daz3d/carrara8.5/mimic content/configuration files / genesis.dmc

Hit the create lip sync button next.  Selected sound from scene, which loaded my wav file (just about 4 second file).  Added the optional text - left everything checked for eyebrows, blinks, head movements etc - and finally clicked ok to generate lip sync.

But no animation is added and genesis figure remains motionless.

Anyone know if I'm missing a step or how to make this work for Genesis 1?

NOTE - i just tried this with M4 and don't get any lip sync generated there either. This is with latest version of Carrara 8.5 pro.

Thanks

Post edited by Mosk the Scribe on

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

I recall that selecting the 'right' element of the figure may make a difference, as in try selecting the hip or root, rather than the actor, perhaps?

(vague recall, not at computer right now...)

--ms

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

no you select the figure and it works for everyone for me

maybe it's your wav file?

• Currently rendering something so can't check - but now that you mentoin it (Wendy), I think my .wav file may be 24 bit - and although Carrara didn't issue any warning, i kind of recall something about needing to limit to 16 bit files.  Will try to test later and report back.  Thanks.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

I could have sworn that Mimic worked with Genesis1 at least.  Now I'm doubting my memory, but I have no time to go test at the moment... 

it works with all of them, Genesis 8 can use the Genesis 3 dmc

which is why I am asking about the wav or maybe the workflow

I always add the dmc first then create the lipsync

use scene file should work but can try adding a file in the dialogue instead

• Went and re-tested lip sync with genesis with a 16 bit .wav file, and everything works fine.  Problem was indeed the 24bit audio.  Think I'd had that happen a couple of years ago.  Hopefully this will inoculate me against further attempts :)  

Thanks

• Haven't done this in a long time, so hoping someone can remind me - 

If I set up a lip sync in Mimic Pro and export a pz2 file - how do I apply that pz2 file to the same figure in Carrara 8.5 Pro?

(I'll also test this with Mimic for Carrara - but wanted to be able to use the workflow through Mimic Pro if necessary)

Thanks

the pz2 has to be saved to your runtime library pose folder and may not work for everything 

that said if it works it usually works better in Carrara than DAZ studio, Sixus's 3 headed dog for instance, I created 3 DMC files and can load exported pz2's for each head but the dmc files also can animate each head independently in Carrara not Studio.

• ok - I was trying to import it directly but .pz2 wasn't showing up as an import option.  Will place in a runtimefolder (which is what I'd done in the past, now that you mention it) - thanks

• Just tried adding the .pz2 generated by mimic pro to a folder - and nothing is showing up.

Have tried updating the folder - have tried placing the file in a different folder.

Have set up the folder as poser runtime and then as content - and neither worked; Carrara doesn't seem to be seeing the pz2 file

Any thoughts?

Or any particular type of folder this needs to be placed inside of?

Mine is not specifically in a 'Runtime' folder - was in H:\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Presets\Poses\temptest - but Carrara has let me see and access poses from this folder in the past.

Thanks for any help.

Just tried adding the .pz2 generated by mimic pro to a folder - and nothing is showing up.

Have tried updating the folder - have tried placing the file in a different folder.

Have set up the folder as poser runtime and then as content - and neither worked; Carrara doesn't seem to be seeing the pz2 file

Any thoughts?

Or any particular type of folder this needs to be placed inside of?

Mine is not specifically in a 'Runtime' folder - was in H:\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Presets\Poses\temptest - but Carrara has let me see and access poses from this folder in the past.

Thanks for any help.

has it got pz2 as the file extension? I often find they save without and it has to be under the Runtime folder added to Carrara as a runtime not your DAZ library like duf files, it's like Poser very particular about folder structure 

• it does have the .PZ2 extension - has that in upper case letters instead of small in case that matters

will find a runtime folder and add this as a runtime rather than content and see if it shows up - will change to lower case pz2 as well

• ok - placed in a Runtime - and the file is showing up - will go test it for functionality next - thanks

• works fine - thanks for the help!