editing clothes on posed figure...

Im using the newest version (i hope) and wanted to know if the way we used to fix pokethru on posed figures has changed? i dont recall it being much drama, and i followed the tutorial but seem to have diff options in the morph tab.

Didnt we used to just access the model in the scene room and edit/move the polys, hit the hand and job done?!? i can select polys, but cant do anything else.

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Still works that way really, did you remember to click 'View' and 'Unprotect topology' first though?

Holy cow, just realized you're the same MatCreator from the daz store, so I'm going to ask a quick question since the opportunity presents itself  :)  I just picked up several of your products (and also Ringo's and one of GK Dantas) last night, specifically I wanted to gather up all the 3dpainting tools I could get my hands on as well as the shaders that go with them.  I don't know much about 3dpainting though, to be honest, I've been reading through the Carrara 7 manual trying to get up to speed, but I can't seem to find a way to paint an actual pre-made shader onto something, which I had thought was something that could be done (but maybe I've got that all wrong).  Is there a way to do that?  Or is it a matter of painting a color using the various brushes only, and then using that as a mask or layer in the texture room and applying the shader there instead?  I'm not sure I'm phrasing my question very well, now that I think about it :)  Basically I wanted to know if all we can paint when 3dpainting is just colors or whether we can paint a premade shader directly onto an object.  I'm thinking specifcallly of painting cobblestones and bricks right onto a building object, for example.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

yes, there is a little checkbox that allows you to use an image with it’s original colours as well as rotate opacity and falloff settlings, I certainly have painted with images.

• i specifically made all my shaders to include painting brushes, you should be able to use them in that fashion...

i have to be honest tho, once i got 3dcoat, it was over, lol

you can easily port the textures from my set (or any set for that matter) into 3dcoats tools, and use them like that. i also use them in zbrush, you just have to import the textures individually as you go along.

going to re-check my carrara, thanks... its been a while since ive used clothed "normal" people in my renders, lol

• MatCreatorMatCreator Posts: 215
    edited October 2017

when the faces are selected, i get no way to actually manipulate them, so i must be mssing something =/

my morph panel looks diff from the one in the tutorial, but even still, i dont recall having to make morphs to simply move polys around in edit mode...

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity
    no-good.jpg
    1087 x 644 - 171K
    no-good2.jpg
    1366 x 501 - 227K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited October 2017

Which figure are you using?  I have 'changed' outfits sometimes on posed figures who have odd morphs that I create myself and get this problem, the clothes do not seem to like my figure's contortions... but once in a great while I can change the 'fit to' from the figure to NONE, then choose the figure again to 'fit to'... I think sometimes I pose beyond the limits as I do it manually and do not usually use pose presets.  

In the modelling room, choosing Actor for the clothing item is where I do this. Have you tried the Magnet tool? It can be a bit over the top on small items even if you reduce the cursor. I often just  'soft' select some of the vertices on the top in the breast area and pull out by moving the x or y arrows vs using the magnet... I do this between the breasts  as well for a more natural look. Flip back to the assembly room and check the fit.  This area of the body is more easily manipulated than thighs, or arms... as if you carry on moving them, the problem can return. Breasts normally are static after you pose them, erm... unless you have an animated figure running. Eeek.

Diomede has done a lot of work on this kind of thing.... he must have a link up top for it?  

Love your shaders, too!  yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • this is genesis... the whole premise of them making the "wrench" was do to simple edits quickly... i just dont recall having to use morphs to fix pokethru with this method. i MUST be getting old, lol

is it a genesis thing perhaps?!?

you do not need to use morphs but your edits might not save depending on how you save it, for permanent fixes creating a morph target for DAZ studio by exporting and obj and saving it ib that clothing as a morph there your best bet.

Getting the scaling right the fiddly bit.

in Carrara I just use soft select and push and pull stuff and that will save in most scenes but genesis etc scenes can be rather big so not my prefered method

a morph cannot be created on a DAZ figure in Carrara either only edited which is a bit tricky

• so i tried it with v4, and it worked as detailed in the tutorial. notice the difference in the morph panel?!? after creating and then choosing to edit the morph, i got the control handles.

so why is the morph panel diff w/ genesis?!?

even still, dont remember needing to make morphs to move polys around, lol

=P

no-good3.jpg
    1324 x 668 - 231K
    edited October 2017

Sorry MatCreator, I was guilty of not reading your original post carefully and misunderstood the situation, for some reason it didn't click in my brain that you were trying to do this in the animation mode (which of course you would need to be in to model from the posed position).  I know that Daz built in some weird hanky-panky with the Genesis figures to protect them so that some things don't work the same as for the M4/V4 figures, I'm almost certain Diomede had a thread on something similar to this, but I'm not 100% sure, will have to go looking.  Because Genesis sort of 'fixes' it's own poke through for most things, I never even thought to try modeling on the clothes from a posed position, generally if there's a clothing fit issue (which does often sometimes happen) I just model in the assembly room in the T-pose postion with soft select, pull the polys out wherever I need to, and that translates over so that the clothing poke thru's are also gone in the posed positions too.

I agree that my version of Carrara is also showing the same morph panel as yours does in the Animation mode, whereas in the tutorial vid daz did from way back in version 8.0, it shows a totally different list of options (for anyone curious, here's the old vid: 

You mention using 3dcoat and Zbrush.  In the latest sale, I thought strongly about whether I should pick up the GoZ plugin for Carrara, wondering if I might need Zbrush for something in the future.  Then I went and checked out the prices and had to pick myself up off the floor  :)  Also I couldn't see what I would need Zbrush for realistically either.  I went and checked out 3dcoat, and it's less pricey than Zbrush, but still pretty expensive, especially since I don't really have enough expertise with any of this stuff to even understand what limitations in Carrara I would be running into that would prompt me to shell out for another software, and have to go to the effort of figuring out how to use it, bringing stuff out of Carrara and back in again, instead I much prefer to keep as much of my workflow in Carrara as I can, at least for now :)

th3Digit said:

yes, there is a little checkbox that allows you to use an image with it’s original colours as well as rotate opacity and falloff settlings, I certainly have painted with images.

Hmm, I can't find it.  All that's showing for me in the color section is the color wheel itself.  Now down in the tool section I can certainly select any of the brushes/images to paint with as a mask pattern, but the actual color it paints is always the color at the top, can't seem to find a way to change what it's actually painting, only the pattern of the color.  Don't get me wrong, this is still workable, because I could simply paint in black to create and alphamap for a layer and then go into the texture room to apply the shader there, but I had thought there was a way to paint the actual shader right onto the object directly (but maybe I've misunderstood how this all is supposed to work).

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

OUCH!  I do as Wendy, but once I have messed about with something, I save it to my browser as an object in a folder I created for Clothing and then for the various figures. This way I can cross-dress figures with the same item once morphed to suit.

I used to do what you have done, edit a morph, but it was such a painful process that I gave it up.  

devil Silene

Oh also wanted to mention Philemot's work on a no poke-thru modifier plugin too, since that might be of interest at least peripherally on this topic:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67410/nopokethrough-plugin-alpha-version-available-for-testing/p4

Jonstark said:

Sorry MatCreator, I was guilty of not reading your original post carefully and misunderstood the situation, for some reason it didn't click in my brain that you were trying to do this in the animation mode (which of course you would need to be in to model from the posed position).  I know that Daz built in some weird hanky-panky with the Genesis figures to protect them so that some things don't work the same as for the M4/V4 figures, I'm almost certain Diomede had a thread on something similar to this, but I'm not 100% sure, will have to go looking.  Because Genesis sort of 'fixes' it's own poke through for most things, I never even thought to try modeling on the clothes from a posed position, generally if there's a clothing fit issue (which does often sometimes happen) I just model in the assembly room in the T-pose postion with soft select, pull the polys out wherever I need to, and that translates over so that the clothing poke thru's are also gone in the posed positions too.

I agree that my version of Carrara is also showing the same morph panel as yours does in the Animation mode, whereas in the tutorial vid daz did from way back in version 8.0, it shows a totally different list of options (for anyone curious, here's the old vid: 

You mention using 3dcoat and Zbrush.  In the latest sale, I thought strongly about whether I should pick up the GoZ plugin for Carrara, wondering if I might need Zbrush for something in the future.  Then I went and checked out the prices and had to pick myself up off the floor  :)  Also I couldn't see what I would need Zbrush for realistically either.  I went and checked out 3dcoat, and it's less pricey than Zbrush, but still pretty expensive, especially since I don't really have enough expertise with any of this stuff to even understand what limitations in Carrara I would be running into that would prompt me to shell out for another software, and have to go to the effort of figuring out how to use it, bringing stuff out of Carrara and back in again, instead I much prefer to keep as much of my workflow in Carrara as I can, at least for now :)

th3Digit said:

Hmm, I can't find it.  All that's showing for me in the color section is the color wheel itself.  Now down in the tool section I can certainly select any of the brushes/images to paint with as a mask pattern, but the actual color it paints is always the color at the top, can't seem to find a way to change what it's actually painting, only the pattern of the color.  Don't get me wrong, this is still workable, because I could simply paint in black to create and alphamap for a layer and then go into the texture room to apply the shader there, but I had thought there was a way to paint the actual shader right onto the object directly (but maybe I've misunderstood how this all is supposed to work).

I am rendering so cannot look but you check or uncheck the mask to get the image

• i keep trying, and keep looking, but do not see a way to manipulate selected polys w/o editing a morph. how do we simply just select and move polys around?!?

my apologies for pushing $$$$$ software. i am a huge fan of carrara (i hope thats obvious, lol) but the painting features in both carrara and hex left me wanting and needing more. i did not like how carraras painting requires so much "set up", and its more like tiling a texture over a uv than true painting. i tried the demo of 3dcoat on recommendation, and boom. if carraras painting tools suits your needs, thats great. I know blacksmith 3d is more affordable, you may want to poke at that. i dont know if people still use deep paint 3d, so there are options, but again, is totally dependant on what you want and what you need.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

i keep trying, and keep looking, but do not see a way to manipulate selected polys w/o editing a morph. how do we simply just select and move polys around?!?

Something is wrong.  Your original assumption is correct - with a standard Genesis character and clothing, you merely select, the "actor" level of the clothing, enter the modeling room, select a poly, check the soft select checkbox, and start pulling.

The only way it won't work for me is if I don't have the pointer button active (in the top of the far left column).  If you have something else selected, then you can't select a poly.

But that is so basic, there is likely something else going on with your Genesis files.  What it is, I have no idea.  Have you tried a different article of clothing?

• well, i definietly have polys selcted, and double checked to make sure i had the manipulator selected/active, but no control handles appear, and there are no options for soft select. this is genesis. even on v4, it wasnt until after i created a morph to edit that i was able to manipulate polys.

does one use the actual model room, i thought we could do this right in the assembly room?!?

nogood5.jpg
    1280 x 740 - 316K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

What Carrara version are you using?  You have things in your view menu that I have never seen before.  User Plane mode?

I am not aware that you can pull polys in the assemble room.  I always use the modeling room.  Soft select is in the modeling room.  I pulled up a Genesis figure and clothing to make sure that it worked before I offered advice.

That said, I am probably the biggest rookie on the Carrara forum.  I do things stictly by the book as I have been taught.  There are likely other ways to do things of which I am unaware.

edited October 2017

you did click the spanner next to the hand?

the mesh looks conformed in your shot, in modeling mode it is default

works on the genesis figure too

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity
    Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 321K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • I'm rendering now so I can't check, but I go to animation mode which allows you to edit while posed...

It's me for sure, I've been out the loop for a while I know, but I clearly remember editing in the assembly room on posed figures with the clothes deformed to the posed figure. Edit, animation mode I can't say, but assembly room for sure w/o need for creating and editing morphs.

The feature sported editing on a posed figure while in the assembly room... I know I'm not crazy, lol

Hit the wrench, select and move polys, hit the hand, done =/

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2017

No, MatCreator, it is NOT you, it is me.  LOL.

A figure rigged as a genesis-type figure or conforming item cannot be morphed in the animation mode of the vertex modeler like M4, V4, etc. (old Poser style rigs).  But, a figure rigged as a genesis style figure or conforming item CAN be edited in the vertex modeler's modeling mode.  Yes, you can do it in the assembly room, but without being able to use animation mode for the posed position, it is not as magnificent as it is for Poser style rigs.

I think some of the responses have not given enough attention to the animation mode aspect of your attempts.  Here are some related screenshots.

Loaded M6 and some M6 clothes conformed.

Note - posed shirt has pants poke through near left hip

If I go to the animation mode of the vertex modeler and select a morph region, I cannot create a new morph.  I can select an existing morph in that region, but...

...the edited morph cannot be validated.  See the error when trying to validate the morph edit below.

That was the bad news.  But there is some good news,  I can still stay in the modeling mode of the vertex modeler, select the back left hip area of the shirt, ignore the topology warning, and simply pull the shirt vertexes to eliminate the poke through.  I can also create a morph and save it out and load it as a new morph using Daz Studio's morphloader pro feature.  Here, I simply remained in Carrara and pulled the bottom of the shirt.  No Daz Studio usage.

uu01 m6 with some clothes.JPG
    1386 x 921 - 138K
    uu02 extreme pose and some poke through.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    uu07 extreme morph edit.JPG
    1560 x 784 - 107K
    uu08 error when try to validate.JPG
    1541 x 912 - 130K
    uu09 morph directly in model mode.JPG
    1643 x 940 - 157K
    uu10 now poke through fixed.JPG
    1593 x 941 - 121K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited October 2017

misread as edible clothes >.<

there's a d3d utility called morphing clothes, transfers morphs from v4 to clothes, the morphs you using on v4 might not be supported in the clothes.

also check active deformer magnets on v4.  may need magnets on the clothes.

is still there:  Morphing Clothes by Dimension3D

for genesis, wondrin if smoothing iterations set in ds would work with carrara's dson?

Post edited by Mistara on