expressions gone from Carrara but not studio

Here's a wierd one. I just reinstalled carrara recently so maybe I forgot something. In Studio on the genesis models I can access the expression dials, like "cheek flex" however I can't find them in Carrara under the actor tab where they normally are. Where did they go?

Comments

• TorkudaTorkuda Posts: 148

By looking at studio I was able to find the DSON and dsd files associated with the expression poses, but not how to link them to carrara.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Might depend a little bit on which figure you are using and which morphs.  For G2F, many shaping and adjustment morphs are on the actor level.  Many expression morphs are found by selecting the head bone.  When I make my custom morphs and import them in Daz Studio, the morphloader utility gives me the option of where I want to save the morph.  So, depending on who made the morph and where that person placed it, it might be found by selecting the figure, the actor, or the head.  See different head morphs listed in the two attached screenshots.  One is part of the list found by selecting the head, the other by selecting actor.

zz01 location 1.JPG
    834 x 970 - 107K
    zz02 location 2.JPG
    553 x 1017 - 89K

No, already tried that. What seems to be happening is that Carrara can't see the Gen X morphs.

One thing that drives me nuts is, I can't figure out WHERE Carrara pulls it's morph files from. I deleted all of the contents of MyLibrary and Carrara was still able to use the dials on models already loaded into scene... what the crap?

edited October 2017

I'm not following you.  You said.

Here's a wierd one. I just reinstalled carrara recently so maybe I forgot something. In Studio on the genesis models I can access the expression dials, like "cheek flex" however I can't find them in Carrara under the actor tab where they normally are. Where did they go?

I loaded genesis and selected genesis, then actor, then head.  For me, cheek flex is there when head is selected.  Depending on the choices of the vender, a morph can be placed in one of several places.  The three most common are the figure level, the actor level, and the bone of the body part being morphed.

cheek 1b.jpg
    385 x 930 - 102K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2017

Okay, one specifically that I can't find: mouth wide

Not mouth open wide, but mouth wide.

Post edited by Torkuda on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited October 2017

in Parameters tab under Actor wink

Post edited by Stezza on

Hmm... seem to have found them, but why won't carrara let me exaggerated the expressions like in Studio?

edited October 2017

If by exaggerated, you mean dialing the morph greater than 1 or less than minus 1, click on the little gear wheel on the left side of the morph label and a morph parameter menu will appear.  Reset the min and max to allow for what you want to do.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2017

I should clarify that when I do that, it won't actually change the mesh to a value greater than one, the dial will just go to, three for instance, but the mesh will stop changing at 1.

edited October 2017

Before there were a series of expression controls that allowed me to push beyond negative one and one on every control. Not sure how it got that way or why it's gone on reinstall, but I'd like it back.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

limits off?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

One thing that drives me nuts is, I can't figure out WHERE Carrara pulls it's morph files from. I deleted all of the contents of MyLibrary and Carrara was still able to use the dials on models already loaded into scene... what the crap?

When you "load" a model into Carrara ,.. then save that as a .Car scene file,. Carrara will save the model,. in the scene file. this will include all morphs in that figure.

if you then add new morphs to your library,. those will not autoatically apply to the figure saved in your .car scene. You'd need to reload the updated figure with the new morphs.

Unlike daz studio,. which only saves a text reference to the items used in the scene, and reloads those models (from your library) when you re-open the DS scene file,.

Carrara will translate/convert any models you load into it,. into carrara editable models (vertex objects).

this means that carrara scene files are larger,. since the models are saved in the scene file. ...rather than a "list of items" used in the scene.

If you were using carrara to create your own models,. it makes much more sense to save what you're working on within the scene file, including any morphs, shaders, displacement, animation, etc.

When you make a Morph ,. it naturally has a maximum and minimum limit,. (no shape adjustment, - Full shape adjustment) and the slider controller allows you to adjust between those limits.

In Carrara,. you can edit or add morphs,. (In the vertex modeller).

you can be creative,. if you want to.

Carrara isn't just a better, faster way to animate and render Daz/Poser content.....

it's a powerful "stand alone" 3D suite which doesn't require any premade content.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited October 2017

Before there were a series of expression controls that allowed me to push beyond negative one and one on every control. Not sure how it got that way or why it's gone on reinstall, but I'd like it back.

Diomede explains it two posts above that:

On the left side of the morph dials, there's a gear-shaped icon.

Click the icon and change the limits of the dial - one for positive side of 0.00, one for negative.

This will remain set if the character (or object) if saved as a .CAR file (like saving it to the Carrara browser), but not for new instances of the figure loaded in from the library, but it's easy to set for new ones. Becomes second-nature.

Note that not all morphs will have any effect beyond a certain range. An example being those made directly in Carrara will have no effect beyond 0.00 to 1.00

Also Note that, when I make morphs in Hexagon (and saved to the figure via DS/Hex bridge) they can go from -1 to 1, but I have to use that little gear icon to allow for the negative values.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on