New Animation. "CyberPunk Subway".

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited April 2013 in Art Studio

Please enjoy my latest creation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKJkrhvNk0

It was created and rendered in Carrara, with DOF post work in Adobe After effects.

Notes on the animation (to set the scene).

Level 4 Cyberpunks trudge home from work accompanied by a down and out busker, young and yet rejected from an elitist society.

This is "Sci Fi Funk", an animated adventure set in London 2064 AD. The 3D animated scenes feature an overcrowded and bleak future where your future is determined before you've had a chance to prove yourself.

Sound familiar?

At least in this video SOMEONE shows some charity. That young man will eat tonight.

For more on this series, plus animation tips, Synthesizer programing and playing please like
http://www.facebook.com/scififunk

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Please enjoy my latest creation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKJkrhvNk0

It was created and rendered in Carrara, with DOF post work in Adobe After effects.

Notes on the animation (to set the scene).

Level 4 Cyberpunks trudge home from work accompanied by a down and out busker, young and yet rejected from an elitist society which judges the future of people before they've had a chance to prove themselves.

This is "Sci Fi Funk", an animated adventure set in London 2064 AD. The 3D animated scenes feature an overcrowded and bleak future where your future is determined before you've had a chance to prove yourself.

Sound familiar?

At least in this video SOMEONE shows some charity. That young man will eat tonight.

For more on this series, plus animation tips, Synthesizer programing and playing please like
    http://www.facebook.com/scififunk

looks good

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,155
    edited December 1969

looks great Steve nice work with so many characters walking up the stairs :)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guys.

It's great to finally bring the low poly people in action.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192
    edited December 1969

Very nice. The London Tube is one of the few subways (I know, that means something else in London) I've been on, this brings it back. Also reminds me a little of "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. (Bad Guy: "We're getting off at the British Museum Station." Good Guy: "There is no British Museum Station." Bad Guy: "There's not? Then we better be careful getting off!" They get off at the British Museum Station ... in London Below.)

edited December 1969

Thanks Steve K.

When I was using the London Tube every day in the 80s you'd find a busker here and there. Particularly in the more central stations.

I've tried to show how they are often ignored (hence the leg level close up shot), and what a difference it would make if someone was generous (4 coins are put in which is almost half his days takings).

edited December 1969

I missed the significance of the number of coins, but the busker was a very convincing character.

It also reminds me of the movie "Once", which I liked a lot. So did a lot of other people, 7.9 at IMDB (way above average). Critic Roger Ebert (RIP) started his review: "I'm not at all surprised that my esteemed colleague Michael Phillips of the Tribune selected John Carney's 'Once' as the best film of 2007."

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    I missed the significance of the number of coins, but the busker was a very convincing character.

It also reminds me of the movie "Once", which I liked a lot. So did a lot of other people, 7.9 at IMDB (way above average). Critic Roger Ebert (RIP) started his review: "I'm not at all surprised that my esteemed colleague Michael Phillips of the Tribune selected John Carney's 'Once' as the best film of 2007."

Thanks! I was explaining to (offline) friends at the weekend the thoughts behind what appears to be such a simple plot. Which I've put on the show more section on youtube.

I watched the trailer to the movie "once" just now for the first time. For some reason it looks like a tear jerker. If I don't run out of time and money before I have to abandon this project I hope to show a lot more social situations (as well as humour).

edited December 1969

I watched the trailer to the movie "once" just now for the first time. For some reason it looks like a tear jerker. If I don't run out of time and money before I have to abandon this project I hope to show a lot more social situations (as well as humour).

Its got some moving scenes, but its not a tear jerker. Its actually kind of an uplifting musical, with many funny scenes. The review on "Ebert and Roeper" (without Ebert) at YouTube even mentions one of the funnier scenes, where the "band" is received dubiously in a studio by the recording engineer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5LgKMNvF7k

The male lead was in "The Commitments" (another fave of many), and there are some similarities.

edited December 1969

Ah ok. This is a better.

"I want to you be you, you want me to be me too" - lol.

edited December 1969

Level 4 Cyberpunks trudge home from work accompanied by a down and out busker, young and yet rejected from an elitist society.

I re-read your original post to remember where you were going. It reminds me of a tip I got recently about a book on screenwriting titled "Save the Cat". The title refers to a technique that makes a character sympathetic to the audience. The example is a cop movie with Al Pacino as a detective luring guys with outstanding warrants to a phony pro athlete autograph party. They are cuffing the bunch when one guy is walking up late, with his kid. Pacino recognizes the situation and tells the guy its too late, saving the kid from humiliation. As the guy walks away, Pacino says "Catch you later ..."

Your scene could create sympathy for one of the Cyberpunks, if that's what you're after.

And you're right about the banker's song in "Once". I'll listen to a real songwriter, say Paul Simon, and decide it can't be that hard. So I write something like that banker. Simon deserves every penny.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Question. Was the Stair walks hand edited? Nice work by the way.

edited December 1969

Steve K said:

Your scene could create sympathy for one of the Cyberpunks, if that's what you're after.

Eventually yes. Atm sympathy for the down and out. These are level 4 cyberpunks, I guess some would feel sympathy for them, but then again they get to live a life outside the "new city".

Whilst this is a rougher tougher existence, they are not living in massive "people farm" tower blocks (200 stories), rather the abandoned housing outside the city.

I should probably stop here as I want to animate this. Hopefully (please!) I'll get the main scene completed before the end of the year (episode 8).

Cheers!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Question. Was the Stair walks hand edited? Nice work by the way.

Hi there.

The walk loops are extracts from Carnagie BVH files, edited into loops (for straight walking), then hand edited to get the knees to bend and height to go up.

I made a 2 part tutorial here if you are interested.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbWZTS_0EA